"Starry" Strawberry Smoothie

Kiss Cafe

Sandy stepped out into the starry night, her hair swept away from her face by the cool breeze. The night was still warm, so she decided to sit at one of the tables. Under the dim city lights, she could almost make out the Kiss Cafe logo.

She sighed as she sank into a seat. The metal chair wasn't very comfortable, but she had no intention of returning back inside. While the cushioned wooden chairs were tempting, annoyance and fury still occupied her head, making blood pound through her ears.

"Hey, wait up!" Sandy turned in her seat. Her friend Michael stepped outside of the cafe, heading in her direction. His figure was hidden in the shadows, except for his bleached hair. Sandy smiled. Michael was always tall, enough to be different than everybody else. That was the first thing she noticed when she met him two weeks ago. It puzzled her for days, because his parents had spoken Chinese to each other as she sat behind him during the orientation. Usually Chinese parents who let their children change hair colors did the same themselves, but it wasn't the case.

Of course, everything made perfect sense when she learned that Michael was on a swim team.

He handed her a cup. "You forgot your drink."

"Thanks." Sandy took it and sipped. The icy strawberry taste in almost calmed her down. Almost.

"Why did you leave the group?" Michael asked her as he sat down.

Sandy sighed. "I was just...tired. I get tired of people sometimes."


"How?"

She shook her head. "Someone starts compalining about a person I actually like, and everyone agrees, trying too hard to please that person. someone always loves talking about him or herself, but then he or she starts texting and checking facebook updates when someone else starts talking. I'm sick of that."

"And you're not like that?"

Sandy shoved him, making his smile glint in the darkness. "OKay, I'm a hypocrite some times, but I was ready to blow up in there. I can't lose control of myself, especially since we still have two weeks together."

"Good point. And you're still steaming?"

She nodded.

Michael stood up. "Come on, let's go for a walk. It's obvious you're not going back inside, so you might as well go somewhere while you're outside."

"Okay." She obediently left her seat and followed him down the street.

They walked in silence. Sandy wondered if he could hear her heart beating fast. Not only was she in an unknown city at night, she couldn't deny that Michael was pretty attractive for someone her age. And smart too. She had been unable to talk to him until one day he found a very elegant solution to a checkerboard problem, and everyone had directed her to him for an explanation.

Strong, handsome, and intelligent? Nothing could really beat that.

"Watch your-" Sandy stumbled and fell forward. In that split second, she knew that her face would scrape the pavement if she didn't get her hands down quick enough-

And then just as suddenly, she was yanked backwards, so that her feet staggered forward until they were underneath her once again.

"Are you alright?" Michael asked once she was standing again, still holding her hand.

"Yeah." Sandy rubbed her left shoulder. "My arm's sore, but it's worth not smashing my face into the ground."

"Good." He started walking again, but didn't let go of her hand.

"Hey, what are you doing?" She asked as she followed him.

"Leading you," he replied.

"Why?"

"So you won't fall down again."

"I'm not blind-" Sandy began to protest.

Michael whirled around, making her stop abruptly before she ran into him. "Sandy, I've lived here my whole life," he said softly. "Trust me."

She backed up. "I trust you."

"Good." He turned back around and began to lead her again through the streets.

In the darkness, Sandy wondered if he could feel the pulse in her hands, beating fast, beating excitedly. Half of her wanted to die, wanted to freeze the moment, so she couldn't ruin it. But time is a cruel master, and as a servant she had to plod along, going wherever it led her...

"Here." Sandy looked up to see that they had arrived at a park. "The lights are darker here," Michael said, letting go of her hand as they neared a bench. "It's easier to see the stars." He patted the space next to him. "Sit."

Sandy sat down and he pointed at the sky. "Look, the Scropius constellation."

"Where?" She stared at the black sky, only seeing random dots. 

"Give me your arm." She obeyed, and Michael took it, tracing her finger over the stars. "That's the tail...here are some legs...and here are the claws, and that's the head. 

Suddenly a scorpian appeared underneath her hand. "Wow."

He smiled. "What's your horoscope?"

"Aries."

"Ahh, the ram? I'm surprised. Aries people are usually not considerate of other people's of feelings."

Sandy could feel her cheeks flush. "Well, I try.."

He laughed, bumping her with his shoulder. "So modest."

"What's your horoscope?" she quickly asked, hoping to change the subject off of her.

"Sagittarius. The archer."

"Doesn't the archer hunt animals, such as rams?" She teased.

He shrugged. "All I know is that it's really weird, because the archer has four legs, like a centaur."

"I wish I could see it on the night sky." Sandy looked up.

Michael smiled. "Maybe you can."

"What?" She looked at him.

He chuckled as he got up. "It's called the internet. Come on, we better get back before the others start worrying." He held out his hand to her.

She took it and made sure she never let go until they saw the familiar light of Kiss Cafe.

*

Sandy was in her room when a new notification came up. 

"Michael posted a link to your wall."

She clicked on it and saw the picture of the constellation, and then the lines connecting it disappeared, and the stars blended into the black background. Then it came up again.

Then she realized it was from a wikipedia page, and clicked on the entry. She started scrolling through, and smiled as she saw some of the qualities matched Michael's. 

Then at the bottom, she read: "Generally, the qualities of Sagittarius are considered[by whom?] to be compatible with other fire signs: Aries and Leo, and to other Mutable signs: GeminiVirgo, and Pisces to a lesser extent with Taurus. "

Sandy sat there for a second, as if time froze. "Aries," she whispered to herself.

And then she began to laugh. "I'm kidding myself," she said as she slammed her laptop closed.

*

"Where are you taking me?" Sandy asked as Michael led her forward, her head blindfolded.

"Some place special. A surprise."

She sighed. "I guess I have no choice."

"Shh. I promise it won't be bad."

She laughed. "I would never think you would give me something bad."

"Good. Although I would hate to disappoint you. But I guess it's too late to wonder that now." And with that, Michael took off her blindfold.

Sandy gasped. All around her was constellations. There were the stars and lines connecting them, but there were also the actual constellation shape. For example, Pisces was actually a crab. Taurus was a bull pawing the ground.

But then something was different. Sagittarius had a bow, but it seemed to have already released an arrow.

"Where did the arrow go?"

Michael blushed. "Um..."

"Come on, tell me," Sandy said with a smiled, tugging on his sleeve.

"Have you ever heard of horoscope compatibilities?" He asked, facing her. His eyes were dark brown, swirling the light, like the night sky.

She gulped. "Yes, but I never believed it could happen to-"

And with that he dipped his head and swallowed her words. She stood there in shock, then closed her eyes and she embraced those warm lips on her own. He deepened the kiss, and put his arms around her so she was surrounded by a comfortable ward, one that felt more like a support than a prison. She never knew she could feel this way around people.

Finally Michael withdrew and pointed to Aries.

The arrow was through the ram's heart. And the ram was looking in the direction of Sagittarius, who was looking right back.

Sandy laughed. "Star crossed lovers?"

"Not this time." And Michael met her lips once again.

*

Hey guys! Like the update? (Please say you do! ^_^)

Now I know this isn't kpop related, but it does relate to my life. A little bit. Not a whole lot.

In case you didn't know, I am an Aries, and I'm currently at a summer camp. A math summer camp. (LOL I'm a math nerd and I'm writing stories, even though I at English >.<) And there's another guy who is a Sagittarius. 

So in other words, I'm the inspiration for "Sandy" and he's the ispiration for "Michael".

BUT our relationship is nothing like that. Yes, I noticed his bleached hair at the orientation. Yes, he's very intelligent. But are we that close? 

Nu-uh.

And seriously, it was our friends that pointed out our horoscope compatibility, and teased us during lunch about it. AWKWARD. Do I believe in that stuff? Nope. Do I like dreaming about it? Sure.

But if you think we're going to get together, there are STRONG points not in our favor:

  1. I live 4 hours away from the camp. He lives about half. Like in the story. Long distance aren't going to cut it kiddo, even if we're on the same coast. Love is hard enough across towns, apparently. States are not going to work out.
  2. One of our friends is my suitemate. She literally hogs all of his attention. And she's older than us by a few years. This guy is the same grade as me. (LOL I'm a NOONA!!!) But my suitemate has some...er...qualities and ideas I tend to disagree with and get annoyed over. (-cough- look at why Sandy left the cafe.) So I'm hanging with them a lot less than I used to. Either it's one of my introverted moods or this girl is seriously pissing me off. So, therefore, I'm not that close with him. Yet. :P
  3. WE'RE HIGH SCHOOLERS. Good relationships are for college people. (At least, most of the time.)
  4. I'm not beautiful enough to be in a summer relationship. Case closed.

Although there are some stuff that makes it nice to be friends with him. For example, he ACTUALLY knows what kpop is. Barely anyone in my camp does, even the Korean people >.< (Although it's funny to call one Korean guy oppa, he gets so surprised XD) And he has all of Michael's good qualities. 

Except he would never do that star room thing for me, and he actually doesn't know the campus city. Hey, creative license here.

But I like dreaming about what-ifs. So here is my gift to you. Dream on.

Just not for me. XD