Relief

Foolish

The support from Scarlett, Ji Hee, and the rest of the back-up dancers helped Daphne immensely throughout the week. Although there were times where she yearned to give up, her friends were always there to guide her through her struggles. Her heart was filled with happiness as she felt their comfort and love, knowing that she was extremely grateful to have come across such wonderful people.

Daphne took the time to call her parents everyday now, even willing to stay up late in the night just to talk to them. She wanted to do anything that would help motivate her mother battle her cancer, but Daphne still kept quiet about her dance practices. She didn’t know when was the right time to break the news for them and there were often times where she thought if a “right time” even existed with her parents. She knew they would disapprove, regardless of whether it made her feel happy or not, but Daphne knew that she couldn’t keep it a secret forever. However, Daphne firmly decided to push those thoughts out of her head and she would tell her parents only after her mother would recover.

And then there was Yoseob. Daphne hated to admit it, but he was constantly badgering her mind, refusing to leave. They had only met twice, but both times, Yoseob left such a large impact on her that she only wanted to see more of it. She yearned to hear his whiny voice, to see his hands ruffle his messy black hair, and most importantly, to feel his stimulating touch on her skin. Daphne was doing fine without him, but she knew that she would be even happier if she saw Yoseob at least once this entire week.

There was always a lingering thought in her head though: did she see Yoseob only as a child? His first impression left her to think that he was this bubbly and innocent kid, who loved to do aegyo, but he had done such a great job at soothing her when she had told him about her mother. His innocent image was almost shed and he just seemed so much more...mature. Daphne immediately waved thoughts of Yoseob being attractive away, however, since she decided to believe that he was only being serious because of the situation.

There were so many topics that Daphne needed to slowly contemplate about, so it was no surprise that Daphne was entirely distracted throughout practice that Friday night.

“Daphne,” Ji Hee said, turning off the music. “We jump on the upbeat, not the downbeat. We’ve gone over this already.”

“Sorry,” Daphne apologized, mentally cursing at herself. This time, she had no excuse to be making mistakes. She knew what was bothering her, but she needed to leave that thought behind and gain her composure. Daphne took a sip from her water bottle, hoping that a bit of refreshment would somehow help her redeem herself.

Ji Hee turned the stereo back on again, rewinding back to the beginning of the song. She counted off and Daphne took a large intake of air to prepare herself. Daphne began to count the beats inside her head as she concentrated on her dancing. Every move that they had practiced was nailed perfectly. The dancers’ fluid motions were precise, presented with such exuberance that could be seen from a mile away.

Daphne felt such adrenaline and excitement from performing that it was hard not to stop when the song had ended. She smiled to herself, joyful to know that her hard work and effort had paid off, knowing that all of the dancers’ exertion had resulted in such a powerful routine. This was why she loved to dance. This was why she just could not give up this passion that gave her such a wonderful feeling.

Ji Hee was the first to move from her position, clapping as she did so. “That was...so good, you guys,” she began, her smile beamed with satisfaction. “I’m so proud. Keep it up, everyone! Practice again tomorrow.”

Everyone’s moods were certainly at a high afterwards as they chatted amiably amongst each other, patting others’ on the backs. Daphne couldn’t help but smile so broadly as everyone whispered “good job” to one another. She reached her backpack and pulled out a small towel, wiping her sweat away from her forehead.

“Knew you had it in you, kid,” Ji Hee said from behind Daphne, grabbing a hold of her shoulder gently. “Proud of you.”

“Thanks, Ji Hee,” Daphne beamed back, beginning to place her backpack upon her shoulders.

“Hey, some of the other dancers and I are going to the club tonight to alleviate some stress. Wanna come?”

“Oh, I don’t know...”

“Ah, come on! You haven’t hung out with us once since you came. It’s about time we know how Daphne really is like out of practice! Let loose a bit!”

“I have homework still and--”

“Seriously? It’s a Friday night! Please, Daphne?” Ji Hee pleaded, shaking Daphne’s shoulders jokingly. “Drinks are on me if you come!”

“Well, if you bring that up...” Daphne gave in to Ji Hee’s persuasion. Ji Hee was right though: Daphne really needed to let loose and erase all of her worries away just for tonight. It had been so long since she had been out with a group of friends that “going out” was not even part of her vocabulary anymore. She looked at herself in the mirror and frowned, seeing her damp tank top and sweats. “Can I change at least?”

“Duh,” Ji Hee laughed, ruffling Daphne’s head. “Why would any of us go out looking like this? If I want to pick up a few boys, I’d have to make myself presentable, wouldn’t I? I’ll drop you off at your place and just call when you’re ready, all right?”

“Yes, ma’am,” Daphne couldn’t stop smiling. Her first night out since school had started almost a month ago. She knew she deserved a rest and she planned to make this night completely memorable.


A/N: I apologize for the shortness of this chapter, but it's more of a transition to things. The next chapter will be much more satisfying, I think, so please stick with me! (: Hopefully I'll be able to update again tomorrow or during the weekend. (: