Distraction

Foolish

“The largest salivary gland is the parotid gland, situated bilaterally in front of and below each external auditory canal, partly overlying the masseter muscle...”

Daphne blinked cluelessly, trying to force her non-cooperating brain to absorb the information that she had read for the tenth time. The agitation inside her exploded as she closed her textbook roughly, tossing it carelessly to the side of her bed. Bringing her palms to her face, she sighed heavily, succumbing to her distraction.

After the night at the club, Daphne had spent most of her days replaying her moments with Dongwoon and Yoseob. Every time she closed her eyes, she saw their captivating smiles gleaming back at her. Every time she inhaled, she swore she could smell their individual scents mixed with sweat and their subtle cologne that lingered in their clothes. Every time she brushed across her stomach, she could feel how their fingers had danced upon it through the thin fabric of her tank top.

It was all she could think of, and it was driving her insane. Even when trying to busy herself with her studies and classes, all she could think of were Dongwoon and Yoseob. Both were so starkly different, but they both had the same hypnotizing effect on her. She was confused, and she wanted an answer as to why she was feeling this way, but whenever she tried to delve deeper into the situation, the more baffled she became.

Daphne knew that there was an immediate attraction to Dongwoon. He was incredibly handsome and the way he held himself at the club would make any girl swoon, but there was also Yoseob to consider. There were some feelings that Daphne had for Yoseob, but she had always shrugged them off, not giving them a second thought; however, the intensity of those feelings had just increased tenfold. This mature and manly side to him worked and she felt like the only option she had was to fall for him, but liking two people at once? That was definitely a problem.

Ji Hee had allowed Daphne a few days of rest since Daphne’s workload was beginning to become unbearable. Because of the lack of dancing, Daphne felt like she had no other means of releasing her emotions. With all these thoughts swirling heavily in her head, Daphne needed an outlet, so she did the first thing that came to mind: she grabbed the nearest pillow and screamed as loudly as she could, but even that could not harness the amount of frustration that she felt.

“What the hell’s wrong with you?” Scarlett opened Daphne’s bedroom door and casually walked in, sitting herself next to Daphne on the bed.

“Nothing,” Daphne sighed, laying down with the pillow covering her face.

Scarlett laughed and grabbed the pillow from Daphne’s face, discovering her deep wrinkles in her forehead and pink cheeks. “Geez, what’s going on? School trouble?”

“I wish...”

“Well, what is it then?”

“Promise me you won’t interrupt me?” Knowing Scarlett, she was bound to slip in comments and questions, but Daphne just needed to spit it all out at once.

Scarlett gave Daphne a strange look but complied anyway. “Okay, I promise.”

Daphne took a deep breath and began to explain Scarlett every meticulous detail about the night at the club, telling the story as accurately as possible. She made sure to include the whole range of emotions and thoughts that were whirling in her head in order for Scarlett to fully empathize. Once she had finished speaking, she didn’t realize that her voice had become so hoarse from all the talking.

“That’s it?” Scarlett said nonchalantly, shrugging her shoulders once Daphne had finished.

“Scarlett!” Daphne seemed taken aback. This was not the reaction that she was anticipating at all. She didn’t go through the trouble of telling Scarlett every single detail for a ‘that’s it’!

“Daphne, this sounds like some middle school drama,” Scarlett teased, shaking her head disapprovingly. Daphne’s mouth hung open, shocked. Scarlett was passing up an opportunity to talk about boys? She continued, “I’m sure you’ll be able to get through it fine. We’ve dealt with trivial boy drama plenty of times.” Daphne huffed bitterly, disheartened. She had hoped her best friend would somehow ease her thoughts, but Scarlett’s mind was on another thing. “Can we talk about more serious matters?”

“Like what?” Daphne snapped, glaring menacingly at Scarlett, who was acting strangely stoic.

“How is your mom doing?” Scarlett queried softly, knowing that it was a tender subject.

Daphne’s face immediately softened, opened and closed continuously as she searched for the words to answer. She was completely caught off guard; the topic was brought up so abruptly that it was difficult for her to even think about it. Daphne’s mother had not been on her mind, although it should had. Her pent up frustration immediately eroded away.

“I...well, the last time I spoke to her...and Dad...” Daphne couldn’t string the right words together. The amount of guilt was simply overpowering her brain.

“Daphne, I thought you were calling them everyday.”

“I was!” she tried defending herself, but she only felt the shame growing larger with every word that she said. “Well, you know...until the whole clubbing thing. I don’t know, Scarlett!” Daphne hung her head low, embarrassed of allowing her best friend to see her be such a fool.

Scarlett pulled Daphne in for a hug, patting her back reassuringly. “Daphne, you aren’t stupid. You were just...hung up, but honestly, I don’t want you to continue dancing if you don’t have your priorities straight.”

“What would that solve?!” retorted Daphne, obviously upset as she squirmed out of Scarlett’s arms. Sure, Daphne wasn’t thinking straight, but quitting was absolutely not going to solve her issues. The past few days were already hard enough because of the absence of practicing. If anything, dancing was relieving some of the stress that she had cumulated.

It was almost hard to breathe because the tension in the room was so large. Both girls were irate and it was clearly etched on their faces.

“I’m just trying to look out for you,” Scarlett broke the rigid silence, her voice soft and calm, but Daphne knew that Scarlett was hurt.

“I know,” Daphne smiled and placed her hand on top of Scarlett’s. “I’m sorry. I know, I’m being so...foolish, and you’re right: I really don’t have my priorities straight.” She sighed and closed her eyes despairingly. “There’s just...so many things happening at once. I can only handle one at time, and...well, dancing is the only way I can cope right now.”

“Call your mom soon though, okay?” Scarlett smiled back warmly. “When was the last time you called her?”

“A few days ago...” Daphne sighed. “My dad told me that the doctors and my parents were still discussing about possible treatments for Mom.” She let go of Scarlett’s hand to wipe a stray tear from her eye, feeling ashamed. “God, I’m so stupid, huh? Letting a few guys take over my life while my mom is fighting a disease halfway across the globe.”

“It’s just those damn hormones. Who can blame you?”

An awkward silence filled the room as Daphne began registering what Scarlett had said. Abruptly, the silence was replaced by hearty laughter as Daphne hugged Scarlett tightly, grateful to have her.

“Thank you for beating some sense into me. I love you, you know that?”

Someone has to keep you in check,” Scarlett smiled. “I love you too.”


With a heavy heart, Daphne approached the practice room door, sighing. She had called her parents an hour ago, and they informed Daphne that her mother was going through physical therapy to prepare her for surgery in a few months. It entirely frustrated her that Daphne would not be able to stand by her mother’s side while going through such a significant and important procedure. The only thing she wanted right now was a plane ticket back to California, but even with the desperate begging, her parents told her the same answer every time she called: no.

“Study hard. That’s the greatest thing you can give to your mom if you want to help,” her father had said with sternness.

Daphne sighed one last time before opening the door. Though she was feeling rather crestfallen, there was no doubt that she was entirely glad to be having practice that day. Dancing made her temporarily forget all of her worries, and for that she was grateful to have such an outlet.

“Hey there,” Ji Hee greeted Daphne as she placed her bags in the corner of the room. “I haven’t seen you since the club night!”

“Sorry,” Daphne said, “but you're the one that gave me those days off, you know.”

“I missed you, that's all,” Ji Hee smiled, putting an arm around Daphne affectionately. “But I have to ask: do I sense a little love triangle coming on with you and the BEAST boys?”

“What are you talking about?” Daphne attempted to cover up, but it was entirely obvious that she was lying as her cheeks began to grow hot, a streak of pink appearing.

Ji Hee scoffed playfully, ruffling Daphne’s hair. “Don’t give me that! I know you wanted to avoid talking to me after the club too since you faked being sleepy.”

“I was drunk! Of course I’d be sleepy.”

“Just tell me what’s going on! I know I saw something going on with Dongwoon.”

“Honestly, Ji Hee, there is nothing. I was simply having fun,” Daphne smiled as she saw disappointment streak across Ji Hee’s face.

There was some truth in Daphne’s words. After the talk with Scarlett, Daphne had made a resolution to push males out of her life. Determined, Daphne was no longer going to allow herself to be burdened by lingering thoughts of Yoseob and Dongwoon. They could be platonic friends, but nothing else. She decided that all of the added distress that those two boys were giving here was unnecessary, and she had other paramount matters to deal with. From now on, the only two things that were going to be on Daphne’s mind was school and her mother.

“You’re no fun,” Ji Hee pouted, tying her hair loosely into a bun. “I’m going to be extra hard on you today!”

Daphne laughed as Ji Hee released her hold on Daphne, beginning to round everyone up for the practice.

“School and Mom. Mom and school. School and Mom,” Daphne recited quietly to herself with a smug smile.


A stream of water trickled down Daphne’s throat as she desperately tried to force the last few drops of water into . Ji Hee was not bluffing; practice was extremely difficult, especially since Daphne had to learn the new choreography that the group had went over before.

Daphne slumped against the back wall of the room, dabbing her face with a towel fervently. Her entire body was drenched with sweat, but she saw that as a sign that she was working hard.

“Good job, everyone!” Ji Hee announced in the front of the room, clapping her hands together. “Oh, oh, don’t go yet, guys,” she said as she saw Daphne and a few others packing their bags. Daphne groaned quietly, yearning for a nice, hot shower. Ji Hee continued with a playful smirk, “I’ll wait until they get here.” Everyone had gathered in the front of the room around Ji Hee, curious to know what she was talking about.

“Who are ‘they?'” a voice spoke out. It seemed like she wanted to go home just as much as Daphne did. Murmurs soon broke out within the group, confused as to why they were being held back.

Ji Hee simply smiled and held up a finger, shushing them. “You guys will find out soon enough.”

Daphne sighed loudly so Ji Hee could hear Daphne’s unmasked agitation. Ji Hee looked up at her and smiled teasingly, her eyes twinkling with mischief. “You’re gonna like this.”

“Like wha--”

The words were caught in Daphne’s throat, however, as the door loudly creaked. She immediately whipped her head to the back of room immediately. Six people filed into the room, all dressed casually in sweats and wife beaters.

“Why, hello there, BEAST!” Ji Hee exclaimed, walking over to Doojoon’s side who remained in the back of the room with his other members. She put her elbow on top of Doojoon’s shoulder casually like they were old friends. “You guys have been practicing and working so hard for the past two months and I think it is definitely time for performances. We’ll be helping and performing with BEAST for their first concert in two months!”

Everyone in the room immediately started to chatter joyously among each other, excited that they were finally able to perform. Daphne, however, was the only one who dreaded this. She positioned herself so a few people were in front of her, blocking her view from the BEAST members, making sure to be unseen by two members specifically.

Daphne had not anticipated this to happen. She felt her determination crumbling as apprehension and anxiety filled her entire body. So much for focusing on school and Mom.


A/N: I'm taking a break from studying all day so I decided to update since it's been a while! Keke, I hope this story's finally beginning to gain some momentum for you guys! Things will only be more interesting from here. ^^. Thank you all for always reading<3.