Glistening Green Eyes

A Series of Letters

I preach that beauty is only skin deep.

I pray that you love yourself.

I condone pride.

But vanity...

Too much pride can destroy you.

Vanity takes over.

You can sit at a dressing table and stare into your reflection until the world around you shrinks so eventually you can only see the detail of your own eyes.

Your eyes cease to be windows to your soul, you see them in colours and patterns rather than emotive and expressive.

When you stop reading people, and see in their eyes only yourself, is when people can see straight through you. Through being ignorant of your inner self you leave yourself clear as day to others.

When you're vain, it shows in your entire body, as you lose sight of yourself, your actions, the way you carry yourself. You lose yourself in your reflection.

Without a mirror you are powerless.

You search for yourself in the reaction of others; the compliments, the appreciation. So when you meet someone indifferent, your pride is hurt and you start to obsess even harder.

Suddenly your mirror image isn't perfect anymore. You see tiny, if imaginary flaws and blemishes, and as you panic, you see more and it slowly rips you apart.

Only when you start to see behind and beyond the eyes, and build an inner beauty, will you see the world around you for what it truly is.

 

If you look through glass, your eyes will either focus on the scene beyond or on your reflection.