Digital World

A Series of Letters

I spend a lot of time in front of the computer these days.

Late into the evening, I'll be sitting in a well lit room infront of a bright square screen next to a pitch black window pane. The internet's fascinating, and has provided endless oppertunities and entertainment, but sometimes I feel like something's missing.

Square-eyed and entirely absorbed in my virtual universe, I find myself wasting hours upon hours mindlessly browsing through the bright colours and pretty patterns which create my brainwashingly wonderful digital experience.

But today, I decided there was more to my life than being in constant daytime which comes from being out in the sun during the day and then infront of an artificial screen by night. With the constant communication I am in via the internet and other social networks (remember that 'in person' one?) it's hard to break free from the clutches of the computer. Today, I switched it off, and went outside in the dark.

I think we forget how beautiful the world is no matter what time of day. When the sun goes down, the world doesn't switch off to a blank screen like electronics do. It just changes.

It morphes into such a beautiful world, etherial and tinted blue under the moonlight. The flowers shine, so tender and pure compared to the happy and boystrous glow of the golden daylight. When I went outside under the summer night sky, I felt a slight chill nip my skin, and I felt so alive. It smelled like damp grass; the dew had dropped. I could hear the soft scutters and calls of the nocturnal animals in my garden. I could see everything in such a unique way which only the night could provide for me.

It's not dark and scary like it seems from indoors, looking through the window. The moon has a strong light; I could see to write in my note pad. When I looked up at the sky, my breath was taken away. The moon lights the clouds in such a mesmerising way, and as the formations drift across the white lit orb I find myself staring with my mouth agape.

There is much beauty I miss around me every day. If I cared to go on a walk in the night, maybe I'd walk through a whole new world.