6. Final Act

Born To Beat: One Shot Collection

“They would never allow this Hyunbin. Your family doesn’t like me.”

He shook his head, “We can run away together.”, he said.

“We can go somewhere, change our names, they would never find us Sujung.”

She chuckled sadly, “You know they would. Our families are powerful people.”

“Well…at least we could be together until they do find us.”



The audience awed, everyone loved this last scene.

She smiled, “Then what are we waiting for?”

Their bodies came closer as he hugged her, both of them laughing. When he pulled away he gently tilted her head up to look at him.

Squeals could be heard as he leaned in, both of their eyes closed. Just before their lips met the curtains rolled down.

 

Sungjae slowly stepped back, giving Rina a small smile.

“THAT’S A WRAP!”

Everyone stepped out onto the stage, “CAST PLEASE GET IN A LINE FOR THE FINAL BOW!”

Rina, still flustered as she always was after the final scene, faced foreword.

“Good job!” Sukyung patted her shoulder.

“Thank you.” she smiled.



“RAISE THE CURTAIN!”

Sungjae’s fingers interlaced with hers, making her blush.

The audience clapped and cheered loudly as the entire cast bowed. Flowers were tossed at their feet.

As they lowered the curtain again she turned to face Sungjae.



"You were amazing, as always.” he smiled.

That smile, any girl would’ve turned into a puddle of goo, and she always did.

“Thank you. You were too.” she said shyly.

“PEOPLE! PEOPLE!” The director waved them all over.

 

“Great job tonight!” he beamed, “Now tomorrow is the final showing and I want you all to get plenty of rest, you’ll need it.”

Rina lowered her head, only one more show and then she and Sungjae would no longer be playing the roles of forbidden lovers.


 

Sungjae’s shoulders deflated, Rina and him had so much chemistry on set and he didn’t want it to be over. At the end of every

performance he had wished that he had the guys to continue and actually kiss her. She just made him so nervous and he had to stop.

They were actors after all, so he couldn’t believe anything that happened on stage to be real life.

The next night Sungjae came early. When he got out to the stage he saw Rina. She was sitting on the edge with her legs swinging back

and forth as she looked out into the seats. Her parents always doubted her, they said she would never make it as an actress. Since they

hadn’t accept her invitation to the play, she hadn’t gotten the chance to show them that they were wrong.



“Rina?” She turned and saw Sungjae walking up to her.

“Hi oppa.” she smiled.

“Why are you here so early?” he asked.

Rina shrugged, “I guess I’m just gonna miss this stage.”



He sat down next to her, “Yeah, me too.”

“Honestly…I think I’m going to miss being leads with you more though.”

Rina blushed, “Really?”

He nodded, looking ahead, “You’re very talented Rina.”

“So are you oppa.” she said quietly.



“Rina love!” The director called out, “I need you over here~!”

She sighed, “I will not miss that.”

They both laughed. “I should go before he sends his flying monkeys to come fetch me.”

He nodded, slightly disappointed. Oh well, he thought, I’ll just have to tell her later.



“PLACES PEOPLE! CURTAIN IN TWO MINUTES!”

Rina closed her eyes as they touched up her make-up. She saw Sungjae in the mirror, getting a few instructions from one of the

assistants.

He nodded and turned to face one of the dressers who brought out the jacket he used in the first scene.



As they buttoned it up for him he looked straight ahead and met eyes with Rina. She looked down quickly, her face heating up. Slowly

looking up, she saw him smiling as they fixed his hair.

“CLEAR THE STAGE! TAKE YOUR PLACES PEOPLE!”

She turned around and quickly got to her spot. From across the stage she met eyes with him again.

“Good luck.” he mouthed, giving her a wink.

She blush, mouthing it back.

“AND THREE…TWO…ONE. RAISE THE CURTAIN!”




“We can go somewhere, change our names, the would never find us Sujung.”

Sungjae stepped towards her, a bit more than usual.

“You know they would, our families are powerful people.”

The audience watched in awe as they, for the last time, performed.



Sungjae wrapped his arms around her waist instead of just holding her hands. Gulping, Rina tried to not show that she was flustered, but

she was sure that her face already showed it.

“Well then what are we waiting for?” she smiled.

Sungjae smiled and leaned in for the final ‘kiss’. The creaking sound of the curtains were heard along with the chantings from the

audience saying “Kiss! Kiss!”



When the curtain was fully down clapping erupted, but Sungjae still had his arms around her. Rina got nervous, “Opp-a, what-”

He closed the small space in between them, connecting their lips.

The play staff stopped what they were doing and stared at them with dropped jaws.

“What is happening? I need everyone in line for the final bow! People move-”



He gasped seeing them both kissing in the middle of the set.

“Quickly, everyone around them!” he urgently pushed people in a semi circle with Sungjae and Rina in the middle.

“Raise the curtains.” he ordered.



Their hands where together now as the crowd gaped at the scene. Pulling away, Sungjae leaned his forehead on hers.

She giggled as he held on to one of her hands and faced the crowd, both bowing.

“Sorry.” he whispered, “I’ve been wanting to do that for a while.” he admitted shyly.

Rina smiled at him, “I’ve been wanting you to do that too.”