1. Quitting

Born To Beat: One Shot Collection

A/N: Seungyul is Park Seungyul, a vocalist from the group TAKEN

 


 

 

Jaeyoon ran through the crowded streets, bumping into people every which way. The phone call she received minutes ago made her run

out of her date with her boyfriend, Seungyul. The tone in Minhyuk’s voice told her they needed her now. She didn’t give Seungyul a full

explanation, all she said was “It’s Hyunsik.” and left.



Hyunsik was her best friend of ten years. Jaeyoon has always been there for him, she helped him get through the toughest times in his

life. Ever since they met in elementary school, she’s always had hidden feelings for him. Hyunsik never made a move, so she gave up

hope and locked all her thoughts about him away.



The trouble started when she began dating Seungyul. Hyunsik told her that he wasn’t right for her. She didn’t listen and continued dating

him. He felt that he had lost his whole world, and in order to get rid of the pain he did everything he could. Gambling, , alcohol, and

the worst, drugs.



Jaeyoon saw the lights of the ER near and pushed herself just a little more. Immediately she spotted Minhyuk and Ilhoon.

“Noona!” Ilhoon hugged her tightly, tears running down his face.

“Wh-here is-s he?” she coughed, almost collapsing if Ilhoon hadn’t held her up.

“OR.” Minhyuk answered with a grave face.

“What happened?”, tears formed in her eyes.



“They found him behind a club…there was so much blood Jae..” he clenched his jaw.

Her legs gave out at his words, her knees hitting the tile.

Ilhoon and Minhyuk helped her up and sat her down in one of the seats.

“The doctor said he’d come get us when the surgery is over.”



Ilhoon continued to silently cry, when she was finally able to calm him down he rested his head on her shoulder and fell asleep.

Seungyul blew up her phone so much she had to take out her battery. Jaeyoon didn’t want to hear his lectures right now, all she wanted

to know was if Hyunsik would be okay. As they waited Eunkwang, Peniel, Sungjae, and Changsub rushed in.



“What happened?” Eunkwang asked.

“He got shot.” Minhyuk patted Sungjae’s back. “Someone was after the guy he goes to, to get his fix. Wrong place, wrong time.”

Jaeyoon’s lower lip quivered, still holding in her cries.



After an hour the doctor finally came out. Carefully waking up Ilhoon they all stood up. “How is he?” Jaeyoon asked.

“He’ll be fine.” he assured, “We removed the bullet successfully and he should recover in no time.”

They nodded, “Thank you doctor.”

“Can we see him?” asked Peniel.



“You can, and I will allow one person to stay the night.”

All the boys turned to Jaeyoon, “You can stay…if you want.” Eunkwang said.

She nodded, “I will. You guys go see him, I’ll go last.”



When they all exited the room she stood up, taking a deep breath.

“Call us if anything happens noona.” Sungjae hugged her tightly as did the others.

Jaeyoon stared at the door before walking in. As she shut the door quietly she heard the steady beat of the heart monitor. She braced

herself, as many times as she had seen him strung out and wasted, it was something she could never get used to. Approaching his

bedside in long strides, she frowned when she realized he was shivering.



Crack, she thought with a sigh. His face was pale, dark circles under his eyes proved that he hadn’t slept right in days, weeks, maybe

even months. Bruises covered his arms and the thing she feared the most. The bandaged gun shot wound. Grabbing a hold of his hand,

she also noted how much his veins stuck out at the bend of his elbow. Heroin.



“You pabo.” Jaeyoon sniffed, “How did you end up like this? You used to be so happy…I don’t know you anymore Hyunsik.”

He stirred, opening his eyes a little, “J-Jae.” he gave her a weak smile, still shaking.

“What were you thinking!?” she laid her head on the bed. “You could’ve died oppa.”



He cringed, lifting up his arm to pat her head, “Don’t cry.”, he croaked.

Jaeyoon got up and filled a Styrofoam cup with water.

“Drink.”, she helped him sit up and brought it to his lips.

He gulped down the ice cold liquid, letting out a cough.

Jaeyoon wiped her tears, “Hyunsik…”



With tired eyes he looked at her, “You have to stop.”

Hyunsik sighed and turned the other way, “Look at me!” She gently cupped his cheek and made him face her. “I want the old Hyunsik

back. Oppa, why are you doing this?”



Brushing the hair away from his eyes, she asked him again, “Why?”

“Because.” he swallowed, “I lost you.”

Jaeyoon took a step back, “What?”, tears rolled down her face.

“You heard me.” he said softly, “I lost you, your Seungyul’s now.”

She blinked, “Oppa…”

“I never said anything because…I didn’t want to ruin our friendship and I was never sure that you felt the same way.”



Jaeyoon’s heart thumped rapidly in her chest. He stared straight ahead, “That’s why I did everything. The money, the girls, parties…

drugs.”

“But it didn’t help…it only numbed the pain and I would remember it all later.” Hyunsik said bitterly. “And you still come help me, even

after I’ve hurt you by doing all this.”

“It’s because I love you oppa.” Jaeyoon said, her eyes watery.

“Not the way I love you Jae.” he shook his head, “We have different definitions of love.”



“You don’t believe me?” she gulped.

He chuckled bitterly, “Shouldn’t you be getting back to Seungyul? He’s probably pissed off.”

“LIM HYUNSIK, I LOVE YOU.” Jaeyoon straightened up.

He stayed silent, looking up at her. “Jae-”

She cut him off with a kiss, smiling when she heard his heart monitor speed up.

Hyunsik cupped her cheek, brushing his thumb along her cheek.



“Now do you believe me?” she pulled away just slightly, their lips brushing against each other.

Hyunsik didn’t know whether the drugs were still in his system and he was imagining the whole thing or if, at the very moment, the girl of

his dreams just confessed to him.

“I do.” he smiled, connecting their lips again.



Her phone rang loudly, she sighed already knowing it was Seungyul.

“Give me a minute.” She stepped outside and answered it.



“Hello?”

“JAEYOON! What the , I’ve been calling you like crazy! Where are you?”

“Don’t yell at me.” she sighed, “I’m at the hospital.”

Seungyul chuckled, “Hyunsik? Again? God damn it Jaeyoon, when are you going to learn that he’s a screw up!”

“Don’t talk about him like that.” she gritted her teeth.



Seungyul rubbed his forehead, “Okay here’s what’s going to happen. If you know what’s good for you, you’ll be home in ten minutes.”

She took a deep breath, “No.” she responded.

“What?”, he grew angry.

“No Seungyul. I’m not going home tonight. I’m staying with Hyunsik and if you have a problem with me wanting to help my friend then…I

don’t think this is going to work out.”



“Jaeyoon.” he growled, “Don’t do this.”

“I want you out of my apartment by morning.” she stated boldly.

“You’re making the worst mistake of your life.” Seungyul glared.

Her fingers brushed over her lips, remembering the kiss she and Hyunsik just shared.

“I’ll live.” she smiled, “Goodbye Seungyul.”



As she hung up, she felt like a weight had been lifted off her shoulders. Walking back into the room she caught Hyunsik trying to get out

of bed.

“No, no, no!” she fluffed his pillow and pulled the blanket over him, “Don’t think about.”

“Are you leaving?” Hyunsik asked sadly.

“Why would I leave?” she furrowed her brows.



“Isn’t Seungyul worried about you?”

She scoffed, “Since when do you care what goes through Seungyul‘s head?”

He smiled a little, “Did you break up with him?” He took her hand.

Jaeyoon blushed, “Well, since I just told you how I felt, I can’t be in a relationship with anyone else now can I?”



Hyunsik scooted over, patting the space on the bed.

“I can’t.” she whined, “You need to rest.”

“There’s plenty of room.” he tugged on her arm, begging with his eyes.

She gave in, laying down next to him. “Will you be my girlfriend Jaeyoon?”



Her eyes lit up, “You have to promise me one thing oppa.”

“I’ll quit!” he answered quickly, “I’ll stop everything. I’ll go to rehab, therapy, anything. I promise!” he locked their pinkies and made an ‘x’

over his heart.

“Are you sure?” she gulped.

“You’re all I need Jae…all I’ve ever wanted.” he hugged her tightly. “With you, I won’t need any of those things.”



“…I love you Jaeyoon.”, he pecked her lips.

“I love you too Hyunsik.”, her eyes sparkled as he wrapped his arms around her, both falling into a deep slumber.