5

Life , So Eat Ramyun

Throughout the day, Jiho and Jihoon messed with both Minhyuk and Minyoung.  Park Kyung refused to take part in their fun.  While Minhyuk was the “silent-but-violent” type, Minyoung was the type to forget things easily and forgive easily.

When Jihoon almost made her trip in the hall, she forgave him.  A simple kick to the shin made Pyo Jihoon promise that he would never trip her again.

Even after Jiho kissed her that morning, Minyoung was ready to forgive and forget by lunchtime.

“Minhyuk,” Minyoung called out right after the bell for lunch rang.

“Hey.”  He walked ahead, and Minyoung could tell that he was in a bad mood.

She followed him.  “Are we eating lunch on the roof today?  Taeil oppa gave us hot water and instant ramyun.”

“Eat by yourself today, Minyoung-ah.  I’m not in the mood for lunch.”

“Hm?  I guess I’ll eat with Yukwon, then…”

Minhyuk turned around.  “With Yukwon?”

She nodded.

“…Alone?”

She shrugged.

“On the roof?”

“Stop asking questions, Minhyuk.”

“You know what?  I think that I’ll join you for lunch.”

“Don’t you have guy friends, oppa?” Minyoung asked.  “You never used to hang around me before.”

“That’s because Jaehyo is studying abroad, Minyoung.”

“Moving on—”

“Why don’t we talk about Jaehyo some more?”

“I don’t want to hear!” Minyoung covered her ears.

“Geez.  Just because you two—”

“KIM YUKWON!” Minyoung yelled, catching sight of the red-haired boy down the hall.  Heads turned, but Minyoung didn’t care.  She threw her instant ramyun bowl at Minhyuk, who barely caught it.

Meanwhile, Yukwon felt his cheeks redden.  Minyoung was calling for him, not Minhyuk and not some other boy.

“Y-Yeah?” he called back.

“Come eat lunch with us today!” she yelled.

“Again?”

“Why?” Minyoung finally caught up with him.  “You don’t want to?”  She pouted.  “Well, if you don’t want to…I guess I could go to the library by myself, since Minhyuk was only going to eat with me because of you…”

“I didn’t say that I didn’t want to eat with you.  Of course I want to eat lunch with you, Minyoung.” Yukwon smiled smugly; Minhyuk stood in the back, glaring at him.  Yukwon’s smile made Minhyuk even more upset.

“Yeah, yeah.  Let’s get going to the roof before I really decide to ditch you two.” Minhyuk rolled his eyes.

“But oppa, you wouldn’t do that, right?”

“You’re too innocent, Minyoung-ah.  I just get worried about you.”

“I’m not innocent.  I know all about because we learned about it in—” Minhyuk slapped his hand over Minyoung’s mouth before she could say any more.

“There are some things that just aren’t meant for school,” Minhyuk muttered.  Yukwon stared in the opposite direction, but Minhyuk could tell that he was blushing.

“And I know all about you and your videos,” Minyoung said again.  Minhyuk stopped her before she could utter anything else out.

“Let’s just drop the subject!” Minhyuk exclaimed, embarrassed.  Even Yukwon had to laugh at that.

 

<:>

 

“Minyoung-ah, I have a question,” Yukwon said slowly.  He wasn’t sure how she would react.

“Hm?” She looked up from her instant ramyun with an annoyed expression.  “Can’t this wait until after the food is consumed?”

“No.”

“What is your question?” She put down her chopsticks and waited patiently.

“A-Are you really a genius?”

Minyoung glared.  “What?”

“I remember in the cafeteria you said that you were the second rank in the school.”

“Kim Yukwon, that offends me.  You don’t think that I’m a genius?”

“Well…”

“I may not act brilliant, but that doesn’t change the fact that I’m ranked second in our year.” Minyoung stood up, grabbed her backpack, and stomped off.  She even left her empty instant ramyun bowl.

Minhyuk, on the other hand, laughed.  “She gets really sensitive when people question her intelligence.”

“Well, why didn’t you tell me that earlier?” Yukwon asked.  “I wouldn’t have asked if I knew she was going to act like that.”

Minhyuk grinned.  “It was fun seeing her get mad at you like that.”

“Minhyuk, what’s Minyoung’s ideal type?” Yukwon asked suddenly.  She didn’t seem like the type to be interested in romance, but he was sure that she had an ideal type.

Minhyuk shook his head.  “I have no idea.”

“C’mon, you must know something.”

“Minyoung likes someone who’s smart, but not as smart as her.  It’s a pity, really.  Not that many guys fit her standards.”

“Anything else?” Yukwon asked.

“Someone who can cook, obviously.”

“I can cook rice.  Does that count?”

Minhyuk scoffed.  “You’d have to ask her that.  Honestly, though, my sister really loves ramyun.”

“I kinda noticed.”

“It’s because our parents own a ramyun franchise.  We grew up eating it, and she hasn’t gotten tired of it.”

“That’s why she likes ramyun?”

Minhyuk nodded.  “Oh, and if, by chance, I were to accept you as a possible brother-in-law, what would you do to make my sister happy?  She’s not like other girls, you know.”

“I would take her out on dates and tell her that I love her.”

“How sweet,” Minhyuk said sarcastically.  “There’s just one problem with your reasoning, Yukwon.”

“What is it?”

“You aren’t the only one who likes Minyoung.”

“Are you talking about Jiho?  I’m sure he’ll get over her—”

“No.  I mean...there’s someone else who likes my sister.”

“Who?”

“Do you know why Minyoung is only second in our year?” Minhyuk asked.  When Yukwon shook his head, Minhyuk continued, “It’s because Ahn Jaehyo always beats her.”

“The one who’s studying abroad?”

“Ah, I can’t believe I forgot that you transferred to our school only last year.” Minhyuk shook his head.  “Jaehyo is studying in America, and he’s been there for two years now.  He’s supposed to come back this year, but who knows?”

“So Ahn Jaehyo likes Minyoung?”

“He loves her, Kim Yukwon.  They went out for a while…up until Jaehyo left for America,” Minhyuk said. 

“Jaehyo doesn’t fit Minyoung’s ideal type.  If she wants someone smart but not smarter than her—”

“She changed it after he left.  I still don’t know what happened between them.  She acts like Jaehyo doesn’t even exist.”

“Seriously?”

“So are you willing to compete with Jaehyo for my sister’s heart, if there is ever a time?”

“…Yes.”

Minhyuk stood up and stretched.  “Class starts in ten.  I’ll see you there.”

“Bye.”

“Oh,” Minhyuk turned around, “And don’t tell my sister anything that we talked about just now.  She hates bringing up the past, and she’ll hate that I told you about it.”

Yukwon barely felt himself nod because he was lost in thought.  She wants someone smart but not smarter than her?  What kind of an ideal type is that?  And what exactly happened between Ahn Jaehyo and Minyoung that would cause her to hate him so much?