4

Life , So Eat Ramyun

“Zico oppa!” Girls screamed as the three boys moved through the crowd.  Minhyuk rolled his eyes, and Minyoung focused on her food.

“Great!  First Woo Jiho tries to flirt with you, and now people are screaming in the hallway.  Can my day get any worse?” Minhyuk whined.  Minyoung shook her head.  Minhyuk was secretly a drama queen, but he didn’t talk enough at school to show it.

Minyoung saw Yukwon from across the cafeteria and waved him over, much to the surprise of Minhyuk.

“I guess my day can get worse.”

Minyoung just chuckled.  “Be nice.”

“Whatever.”

Yukwon had to choose between sitting next to Minhyuk or sitting across from Minhyuk.  He didn’t like either choice.  But Yukwon opted to sit next to Minhyuk in the end, because he would be able to see Minyoung’s face.

“They’re really making a lot of noise over there,” he pointed out.

Minhyuk nodded.  “You finally said something smart, Yukwon.”

“I thought that we were cool with each other,” Yukwon replied.

“Minhyuk hates them.” Minyoung smirked, gesturing toward the crowd.  “Well, he hates a lot of things, but one of the things that he hates the most is Woo Jiho.”

Yukwon sighed.  “What does Jiho want with you anyway, Minhyuk?”

“Not me,” Minhyuk said. “Her.”  He gestured toward Minyoung, who was about to steal the cake off of his plate.

“In my defense, I thought that you hated chocolate cake,” Minyoung said as Minhyuk moved the cake away from her.

“What does Jiho want with you, Minyoung?” Yukwon asked.

“Well, I sorta knocked him down—”

“You did what?”

“—And then, Minhyuk oppa said some words, and then Jiho told me to call him, and—”

“He did what?” Minhyuk exclaimed.  “I did not hear that.”

“Calm down, oppa.  I don’t even have his phone number, so how can I call him?”

“He has…ways, Minyoung-ah.  Trust me.  He tried recruiting me for his group once, and he knew everything about me.”

“Huh?  When did he do that?”

“When you were dating Jae—”

“Okay, that’s enough.” Minyoung accidentally took Yukwon’s water instead of hers and drank out of his straw.

Yukwon’s eyes widened.  “I-I-Indirect kiss…”

Minhyuk sighed.  “And my day just got even worse, if you can believe it.”

“What if I did it on purpose?” Minyoung grinned.  Seeing their expressions, she sighed.  “Geez, I was just kidding.  It was an accident.  You can have my water if you want, Yukwon.”

Yukwon didn’t dare take the water after seeing Minhyuk’s frown.

“Hey Minhyuk!” someone called out over the crowd. 

Minhyuk slammed his head on the table.  “Please don’t come over…” he muttered.

But Woo Jiho did.  He didn’t bring Kyung or Jihoon with him, surprisingly, and all eyes were on him as he sauntered across the cafeteria.

“What do you want, Jiho?”

“Minhyuk oppa is in a bad mood right now, so can you come back later?” Minyoung asked politely.

“Aw, aren’t you cute.” Jiho smirked.

“Leave my sister alone, Jiho.  She isn’t the type of girl that would fall for you.”

“Funny you’d ask, Minhyuk.  I want permission to date your sister.”

“Excuse me?” Minyoung looked up from her food.

“What gives you the right—” Yukwon stood up.

“Yukwon.” Minyoung tugged his arm.

Yukwon immediately sat down after being touched by Minyoung.  He didn’t want to upset her, but he would stand up again if Jiho messed with her.

“Permission?” Minhyuk asked, incredulous.

“Yes.”

“I’m amazed, Woo Jiho.  Is this the first time you really want a girl?”

“Maybe.” Jiho’s smirk wouldn’t disappear.

“Well, I’m sorry, but the permission isn’t for me to decide.  I don’t approve of you, but who knows?  My sister might.  Ask her.” Minhyuk pointed to his twin, who was having a staredown with Yukwon.

“Will you go out with me?” Jiho asked Minyoung confidently.  He figured that he had nothing to lose.

Minyoung stood up.  “What is your ranking in school?”

Jiho frowned.  “What does that have to do with—?”

“Answer the question.”

From the side, Minhyuk smirked.  “Here it comes.”

“Fifth to last,” Jiho admitted, losing confidence.

“And what is my ranking?”

“I—”

“I’m second place.  Therefore, I’ll only make you sound like an idiot if we go out.  Plus it will make both of us look bad.” Minyoung smiled.  “And besides, I find you a little annoying.”

Jiho’s eyes widened.  All of the students watching were amazed at Minyoung’s bluntness.  They had heard rumors about her, but they didn’t think that the rumors were true.

“And that means,” Minhyuk added, “That you don’t have my sister’s permission.  See you around, Jiho.”

“But…how could you say no to me?” Jiho exclaimed.

“Listen,” Minyoung said, “Not all girls like you.  Your ego is too big, and I don’t like that.  Bye.”

“M-Minhyuk,” Jiho muttered.  “This was your plan to embarrass me, wasn’t it?”

“Making excuses out of embarrassment, are we?” Minhyuk chuckled.  “Honestly, it wasn’t my plan, but as the conversation progressed, I couldn’t help but take a part in it.”

“Just because I stole your girlfriend last year?” Jiho mocked.

Minhyuk’s glare hardened.  Minyoung’s smile fell as well.

“Don’t!” Minyoung held her brother back as he lunged for Jiho.  However, Minhyuk was way stronger than her, so she resorted to hanging onto his right leg.  Yukwon remained frozen at the table and could only watch as the argument unfolded.

“That’s right.  She was the best thing that ever happened to me,” Jiho said.

“You son of a—” Minhyuk started.

Minyoung pulled at her brother’s shirt.  “Let’s go, Minhyuk.  Fighting is stupid!  And the cafeteria ladies are watching.  I’m afraid that if they recognize me, they won’t give me a lot of food next time!”

“Minyoung-ah…” Minhyuk’s glare softened, and he pulled her off of his leg. 

“This isn’t over, Lee Minhyuk.” Jiho glared.  He slowly returned to his table, but the whole room was still silent.

“Great, Minhyuk oppa.  Now Jiho hates you even more.” Minyoung shook her head.  They both exited the cafeteria.

“See what happens when we eat in there?  Nothing good happens.”

“I’m glad you didn’t fight him, oppa.  Mom and Dad would be upset if they found out.”

“You’re a good kid, Minyoung-ah.”

“I’m only three minutes younger than you!  I’m not a kid!” Minyoung exclaimed, breaking out of her brother’s grasp.

 

<:>

 

The next day, Minhyuk walked warily into school with Minyoung trailing behind him.  The campus was basically empty, since there was still an hour until school started.  Minyoung liked getting to school early so she could spend time in the library, while Minhyuk enjoyed the fact that he could sleep in the library.

“Oh !” Minyoung exclaimed.  “I didn’t do math homework.”

Minhyuk rolled his eyes.  “I can’t believe that you’re supposed to be the smartest girl in our year.”

“Is that sarcasm, my dear brother?” Minyoung chuckled.  “In any case, I should probably wash my hands.  Meet you in the library?”

“That sounds cool.”

“Don’t fall asleep before I get there!” Minyoung warned and started to run.

On her way to the bathroom, Minyoung heard the sound of footsteps behind her.  When she turned around, expecting to see her twin, she found Woo Jiho instead.

“What the hell?” Minyoung muttered.  “Why are you here so early?”

“Were you surprised?” Jiho walked up to her.

“Not really.”

Jiho held out a rose.  “This is for you.”

“Thanks?”

“Listen, about yesterday—”

“I still haven’t changed my mind about you, Woo Jiho.”

Jiho grinned.  “I’m sure you’ll change your mind soon.”

“No, actually—”

Jiho closed the gap between the two of them in an instead, leaning closer and pressing his lips against hers.  Her lip-gloss, he noted, was strawberry.

Minyoung stared straight ahead, horrified.  She didn’t even try to push him off and noted that his hands firmly held hers.  And although he was very gentle, she still wanted him to stop.

“What the hell?” a voice screamed.  Minyoung knew that it was Minhyuk.  His voice made her come back to reality.  She struggled against Jiho, who finally pulled away.

“Oh, hey Minhyuk.” Jiho smiled.

“What the hell are you doing?” Minhyuk exclaimed.

“We were just…kissing,” Jiho said innocently.

“Minyoung-ah, was that your first kiss?  Did that jerk steal your first kiss?” Minhyuk exclaimed.

“Of course not.” Minyoung rolled her eyes.

Jiho grinned.  “Well, I bet that was her first real kiss.”

“Is this how you’re going to mess with me?  All because I didn’t join your stupid club?”

“Well, you can think of it that way.”

“It’s on, Woo Jiho.  This is unforgivable.”  Minhyuk tugged Minyoung’s arm, and she followed after him.  When she looked back at Jiho, he smiled and waved.

“Oppa?” Minyoung asked quietly.  Minhyuk looked even grumpier than usual.

“What?”

“You were a total badass back there.”

Minhyuk’s frown turned into a grin. “Was I really?”