10

Life , So Eat Ramyun

Kim Yukwon nervously stood in front of the address that Minhyuk gave him.  It wasn’t exactly an address…more like an apartment room number.  He had always assumed that the twins were rich since they told him that their parents were away on business, so news of the apartment complex shocked him.

He knocked quietly, figuring that the twins were still asleep.  He read somewhere that geniuses loved sleeping in late.  To his surprise, Minhyuk opened the door.  Of course, Minhyuk was still in his pajamas, but he looked like he had been awake for a while.

“Yo,” was all Minhyuk said.

Yukwon replied, “I brought my stuff.”

“Great.”

“Oh come on, sound happier.”

“Congratulations.  You’re the first boy to sleep over at my house since Park Kyung in third grade.”

“You guys must’ve been really close back then…”

Minhyuk shrugged.  “I guess.”

“Minyoung told me that Park Kyung was her first kiss.”

“Yup.”

“And you’re okay with that?” Yukwon asked incredulously.

“We were in elementary school.”

As if that explains it all.  Yukwon peered inside.  “Where’s Minyoung?”

“She’s either sleeping, which I doubt, cooking something for herself to eat, which is most likely, or showering.” 

“Sweet.”

“And if she is showering,” Minhyuk said slowly, “I don’t want you anywhere near the bathroom.”

“Are you scared that I’ll do something?” Yukwon chuckled.

Minhyuk sighed.  “No, I’m scared that you’ll do something even stupider than anything you’re imagining right now.”

Minyoung came out of the kitchen with some cereal and milk.  Her hair was tied back in a messy ponytail, and she was wearing a tank top and gray sweatpants.  Yukwon decided that she was beautiful no matter what she wore.

After putting the food down on the table, she noticed Yukwon.  Turning to Minhyuk, she asked, “How did he get in?”

“I let him in.”

“Is he sleeping over?” Minyoung gestured toward the bag Yukwon held.

“Yup.”

“Why?”

“Why not?”

“Okay.” Minyoung sat at the kitchen table and started to eat.  Meanwhile, Minhyuk led Yukwon over to the living room.

The living room was nothing extravagant.  A big sofa sat in the corner with blankets strewn about, and the coffee table had what seemed like five hundred magazines on it.  Some magazines looked like they were never touched.  The television was a flat screen, but honestly, who didn’t have a flat screen television in their home?  Yukwon was a bit disappointed, since he had hoped that the twins would have an apartment like one in the dramas.

“Do you want anything to eat?”

“No, I’m fine.  I had breakfast before I came here.”

“What time do you wake up?” Minhyuk muttered.

Yukwon grinned.  “I told you that I loved sleeping in, but the fact that you invited me over was so fascinating that I woke up really early today.”

“Great,” Minhyuk said.

When Minhyuk left, Minyoung walked in and sat next to Yukwon. 

“Hello,” she said.

“H-Hi.”

“What are you doing here?”

“Minhyuk invited me over so that we could plan the dance.”

“Oh.” She nodded in approval.  “Minhyuk is a perfectionist, I suppose.  He wants us to start planning so that he has a longer time to make everything perfect.”

“Are you a perfectionist?” Yukwon asked.

Minyoung shrugged.  “Not really.  Too lazy."

"When you do group projects, what do your partners say?"

"I always request to work on group projects by myself."

“Why?”

“If people are paired up with people they think are smart, will they work hard?” Minyoung asked.  Not waiting for an answer, she continued, “They won’t.”

“I see your point.”

“Sorry, I didn’t get enough sleep last night,” Minyoung admitted.  “So if I sound irritated, that’s why.”

“Why not?”

“I was bothered by some stuff, so I went for a walk.”

“You went for a walk?  At what time?” Yukwon asked, alarmed.

Minyoung grinned.  “Why?  Are you worried?”

“No, I just—”

“I was hungry, so I woke Minhyuk up and made him go with me to the convenience store down the street.”

“You were hungry?”

She snuck a glance at Yukwon, who seemed to be fascinated with the couch fabric.  “Yukwon, about the dance…”

“Yeah?”

It’s now or never.  “Well, I was wondering if you’d—”

“Let’s get started!” Minhyuk exclaimed, walking into the room.

I guess it’s never.  “Hey Minhyuk.”

Yukwon, sensing the awkwardness between the twins, immediately searched for something to say.  He asked, “So, what is the theme of our party going to be?”

Minhyuk grinned.  “I was thinking that we could all dress in black—”

“No one wants to fulfill your inner goth fantasy, Minhyuk.” Minyoung rolled her eyes.

“Then what’s your idea?”

“Food party.  Everyone loves food, so why not?” Minyoung shrugged.

“What about you, Yukwon?”

“I was thinking that we could have a club theme…with a DJ and everything.”

“Minhyuk is DJ if we’re going with this idea,” Minyoung said.

“What?  Why me?”

Minyoung grinned.  “Because oppa is the best!”

“Aegyo,” Minhyuk muttered.  “Evil, evil aegyo.”

Minyoung’s smile fell, and she nodded.  “I like Yukwon’s idea, honestly.  But if there’s no food, then I’m not going.”

“Of course there will be food, Minyoung.” Minhyuk rolled his eyes.  He patted Yukwon awkwardly on the head.  "I like your idea too."

Minyoung smiled smugly.  Of course, things were going as she planned.  Minhyuk and Yukwon were getting closer.  She wanted her brother to befriend Yukwon since the first time she met Yukwon, since Yukwon had the warmth that could counter Minhyuk’s cold personality.

“Minyoung-ah,” Minhyuk said.

“Minyoung,” Yukwon added.

“Lee Minyoung!” Minhyuk exclaimed.

“Hm?”

“I know you just ate breakfast, but do you want to go over to Taeil’s?”

“Free food?” Minyoung exclaimed.  “Of course.”  She went to grab a pair of shoes.  “Let’s go now.”

“Yukwon, let’s go.  Have you met Taeil already?” Minhyuk asked.

Yukwon nodded.  “Minyoung introduced me to him a few days ago.”

“Hm,” was all Minhyuk said.

 

<:>

 

“Taeil oppa!” Minyoung exclaimed as they walked through the door.

The restaurant had a few people here and there, but Minyoung wondered how he could still keep the shop open with the lack of customers.  The restaurant was silent besides the occasional phone call and the sounds of people eating ramyun.

“Oh, Minyoung-ah!”

“Hey Taeil hyung,” Minhyuk added.

“Hey.”

Yukwon bowed without saying anything, and Taeil chuckled.  “Hey, Yukwon-ah.  How are you doing?”

“Fine, hyungnim.”

“That’s good.  Remember what I told you last time, right?” Taeil laughed to himself after seeing Yukwon’s face.

The three teens sat down at the booth in the corner.  When Taeil came around to take their order, Minyoung was excited to eat.

“I thought you ate already, Minyoung,” Yukwon muttered.

“There’s always room for free food.”

“Free?”

“Our parents made him promise to always give her free food,” Minhyuk explained.  “Of course, that has caused Taeil to go insane because Minyoung is his most frequent customer, but she doesn’t have to pay for anything.”

Yukwon nodded.  “Wait, your parents gave him this shop—”

“We’re not exactly millionaires, but we’re better than average.  I bet you couldn’t have guessed, considering our apartment, right?” Minhyuk chuckled.

Their ramyun came, and everything became silent.  Minyoung ate slowly, which made Minhyuk feel surprised.

“Minyoung-ah, are you okay?”

“I was just thinking how life .”

Minhyuk nodded.  “You’re eating slowly.”

“Well, for some reason, I feel weird.  I want to eat this ramyun, but at the same time, I don’t.”

“Do you want to go back to the apartment?”

“I shouldn’t leave you two.  It would be rude…” She trailed off, praying that the two of them would take the bait.

“No, it’s fine.  I love spending time with Yukwon.” Minhyuk smiled devilishly.  Yukwon gulped.

“And Minhyuk is cool…” Yukwon said.

Minyoung stood up suddenly.  “I guess I’ll see you guys later, then?”

“Do you want me to call a cab for you?” Minhyuk asked with concern.

“I said I don’t feel well.  I never mentioned anything about being unable to walk,” Minyoung replied as she walked out of the shop.

 

<:>

 

Jaehyo stood outside of Taeil’s ramyun shop with a smile on his face.  Of course, Minhyuk and Yukwon didn’t see him, but he was sure that Minyoung did.  When she walked out of the ramyun shop, she met his eyes and looked away.

“Minyoung-ah, did you come out because of me?” Jaehyo’s eyes lit up.

“It has nothing to do with you.” She looked away.  “Go away.  You annoy me.”

“Minyoung-ah, listen.”

“I told you not to act like we know each other!” she exclaimed.  She started off in the opposite direction, causing Jaehyo to run after her.

“Lee Minyoung, listen to me.”

“No.”

“What I said two years ago—”

“Yes, I remember.  You said that I was only holding you back from reaching your full potential.”

“I didn’t mean that!”

“You also said that long distance relationships never work out, and you said that I was a distraction from your studies.  What isn’t there to understand?”

“But I’m back now.”

She turned around, irritated.  “Don’t you see?  I’ve moved on, Jaehyo.  Nothing you do or say will change my mind.”

“Minyoung.  Let me explain.”

“Leave me alone.”

“Minyoung, I did it all for you!” Jaehyo exclaimed, exasperated.  Minyoung noticed that he looked tired and stressed out.

“What?” She stopped walking.

“I did it so that you wouldn’t wait for me in the event that I never came back.  I thought you’d understand.  Remember all of the times I told you I liked you?  How could you hate me so suddenly?”

“Love isn’t something you can throw away, Jaehyo,” Minyoung replied.  “I’m sorry.” She turned away, leaving Jaehyo standing in the middle of the shopping district.