Twenty-one

Pretending

Just when Miyun thought it was going to be a nice and relaxed Saturday, she found herself staring at her laptop for the longest time, trying to comprehend what she just read. At first, she was happy to finally see that certain sender on her inbox, but after reading the actual message, everything crumbled. Now, she wished she ate breakfast first before getting out of bed.

Yo Miyun!

It`s been a while huh? I`m sorry I never replied to your last email. I guess.. I just forgot. ^__^’ Aish. Just forgive me ok? Ok.

Anyway, people here are doing fine. They`re the same. :P Your family`s doing good, but you probably already know that since you keep contact. Haha. Well, the usual people are doing fine too. Most of us will be transferring to universities next school year~ No worries though. A lot of us are staying within the city. There`s enough course selections here. XD Some few are going out of the city though. Tsk. Jen`s going to NY or something. You know how ambitious she is. :P But that`s no problem. That`s why we have Facebook~ Mia and I might go to the same school. Bob might too.. but ugh. -___- Lol. There`s a lot more of updates on school, but I`m too tired to think right now.

..I still hate you for being in Korea. :| You just had to get a bunch of scholarships and stuff. >__> Smarty.

But screw all of that! I actually remembered to write to you since I found out you`re flying back here in a few weeks~ Yep, your mom told me. She loves me. DO YOU KNOW HOW EXCITED I AM?? I MISSED YOU. OH MY GOSH. I NEED YOU IN MY LIFE, MIYUN. I REALLY DO.

Dang. I`ve been stalling on this email. o__o TBH, I initially wanted to send this to you since I found out some more good news besides your coming back. Which you probably could care less about. -___- But you`re the only person who could bear my fangirl side. Hahaha. ANYWAY..

THERE`S GONNA BE AN SMTOWN CONCERT HERE IN LA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALSKDJF;LKAJSD;LKFJ;ALKSDJ;FLKJA;LSDKJF;LK ASDJ;LFKJ;ASDKF;LAKSDJ;FKAJ;SD LKJF;LALKJA; SDLKFJ;LAKS DJ;LFKJA;LS DKJF;LKASDJ;LFKJASD LKFJ;LAKJDS;LFKJASL;DKJF;LKADJSL;FKJASLDKJF;LKAJ SD;LKFJ;ALSKDJFL;K AJDS;KLFJ;ASLDKJFD;AL SKDJ;FLKJA;LDKSJF;LKAJDKFJ;ALSKDJLFKJASLDKJF; LKASDJ;LFKAJ;SALDKFJ;LASKJD

And since you`ll be here at the same time, you should go with me, ok?? OK?? NO EXCUSES NOW MISSY. I`M TAKING YOU WITH ME. IT`S EMBARRASING TO BE ALONE. Anywaaayyy, I`ll buy tickets soon. Or will you pay for your own? BTW, I`m gonna try to get the front row ones~

*sigh* Life`s good. It finally gave me a chance. :3

Gurl, write back fast. o____o

OH, AND DON`T FORGET TO BUY ME SOME ALBUMS AND SOUVENIRS AND STUFF~

~Laurennn. :DD

P.S. How are you doing there? :3 (I almost forgot to even ask that.)

After a whole minute of trying to comprehend such a self-explanatory email, Miyun finally clicked the ‘reply’ button. “LAUREN, YOU ARE FREAKING CRAZY. THIS IS ALL CRAZY.” She started rambling and talking to her laptop in English. “WHAT THE HECK IS HAPPENING? THIS IS NOT THE REALITY THAT I WANTED. NOT AT FREAKING ALL. UGH. WHYYYY??” Her fingers stormed through the keyboard as she typed down her response message.

Lauren,

OK. FIRST OF ALL, DON`T BUY MY TICKET. I`LL BUY IT. Those are too expensive. :P And no, I won`t complain in this email. I`m doing it right now as I`m typing it. And I`ll probably complain when I get there too. So yeah. Just be thankful that I`m gonna go with you.

..Ugh. I hate you for making me do this. -.-

Oh, and thanks for the five month-late update. >__> Haha. You WOULD forget about writing me back. You . :P Well, I`m glad you all got into universities~ Make sure your uni exchanges with students here so you could visit. XD Haha. I miss you guys. :( Keep your grades up ok?

Do me a favor and tell my mom that I ran out of phone cards. >__< That`s why I haven`t called in a while.

Me? I`ve been doing really good. University`s been really fun~ We had a fundraiser recently and I was really happy to be able to play with my best friend again. ^__^ I missed him. His noona actually had a formal party too which went well for the most part. XD Speaking of which, I finally got reunited with my friends back here. Haha. Took me some time. I had to build my nerves up. :P But it was worth it. I also got a friend to replace you! Bwahahahaha. Ok. I lie. I love you. ;3; But I do have a friend here who`s just like you. Haha. Her name`s Yuna~

I shouldn`t make this email long. I`ll see you soon anyway. XD

Remember, DO NOT BUY MY TICKET. >| AND NO, I AM NOT BACKING OUT. JUST TRUST ME.

--Miyun.

She immediately clicked the ‘send’ button without even proofreading what she typed. All she knew was that she needed to tell Lauren to not buy her ticket. That`s what mattered the most at the moment.

“Aish.” She leaned back on her chair, letting it swivel for a bit. “Just when I thought all of the stress was gone..”

Thinking about it, there seemed to be a problem in every aspect of her life right now. None of them were serious, but when she combined them all together, it was a huge mush of stress.

“I have to talk to mom and dad about things..”

“I need to talk to Lauren..”

“All these possible scenarios..”

“I wanted rest..”

“The whole reason why I even booked that flight.. it`s all useless now..”

Just then, Miyun realized one important aspect. She rushed to her bed and grabbed her cellphone. Without much thought, she pressed speed dial and patiently waited for an answer.

After a few rings, the first thing she heard was the person yawning from the other line. “Yeoboseyo?”

“YOU LAZY DINOSAUR. WAKE UP. YOU NEED TO EXPLAIN SOMETHING TO ME.”

Again, he yawned as if she didn`t say anything. “What? ~__~”

Miyun sighed. She felt bad for attacking him with such a greeting. He seemed pretty tired. She took a breath, wanting to sound as nice as possible.“..How come you never told me you were going to LA?”

“What`s it to you?” he asked, quite ignorantly. “We went to Singapore a few weeks back and you didn`t care.”

Miyun shook her head. He did have a point. “Why do I care huh? Well, I`m gonna be in LA while you`re there.”

“…”

“Jonghyun..?”

“..WHAT?? W-W-WHY??”

Right now, Miyun couldn`t really pinpoint whether he was mad, confused, or happy about the news. “I wanted to take a short vacation and see my family and friends,” she explained. “I used to live in LA.”

“Ohhhh.” Jonghyun paused for a while, probably trying to think of reply. He was just fresh from being woken up, so he most likely wasn`t thinking straight at that time. “..So you`ll see us in concert?”

After hearing his question, Miyun let her back fall on her bed. She took one of her pillows and buried her face on it. She sighed again, remembering the email earlier. “I`m sort of forced to.”

“Oh? Because I`m there?” he asked teasingly.

Miyun rolled her eyes. “Sure, why not,” she answered sarcastically.

“..Hater.”

Standing up, Miyun sighed one last time. “I`ll just explain everything to you later ok?”

“Great. I could care less.” Jonghyun yawned. “All I want right now is sleep. Now if you`ll excuse me..” He hung up.

----------   

Hyunae leaned in closer to Miyun`s seat right after she sat down. “Someone seems especially happy today,” Hyunae said after Miyun got settled in her place.

Right from the beginning, Miyun entered the classroom with a smile lingering on her face. Her overall aura seemed different. She appeared much brighter and nicer than usual. Even her hair, which was usually tied up, was let down.

“Is it a guy?” Hyunae asked curiously.

Just the thought of it still made Miyun feel a weird mixture of emotions. She covered the bottom half of her face with her hand while she shyly nodded.

“Omoooo~” Hyunae`s face lit up. She dragged her own seat closer to Miyun`s as if she was about to tell her some secrets. “Who is it? :3”

“..It`s-”

“WAIT. Don`t answer!” Hyunae interrupted. She looked up, as if she was in deep thought. After a while, she looked back at Miyun. “..Is it that guy you train with? The one you were with for the talent show..?”

Miyun puffed her cheeks up and slightly nodded her head.

Hyunae immediately got excited and placed both her hands on her cheeks. “What`d he do? Sing you a song? Buy you something? Confess to you? Smile at you? Hug you?” she asked continuously. “Which is it??”

Miyun laughed at Hyunae`s sudden excitement, but stopped to remember what she said beforehand. “What did he do?”

Hyunae nodded.

“He did all those.” Miyun felt another smile creeping up on her face while her cheeks started to burn.

Hyunae started bouncing on her own seat. Their classmates were looking at her by that time, but she didn`t seem to mind. “So did he ask you out?”

Miyun laughed, remembering the happenings from the previous day. “He did,” she said. “Eventually.”

Suddenly, Hyunae raised her brow. “Eventually?”

“Ne.” Miyun rubbed the back of her head. “It`s sort of a weird story..”

 

After the class got dismissed for lunch, Miyun headed out the classroom, only to find Jonghyun leaning on the wall by the doorframe. “Hey,” he greeted coolly. After the whole confession incident the other day, the two haven`t had the chance to actually conversed normally. All they did after that was walk until they reached their dorms. Now that their relationship was different, the atmosphere between them seemed to have changed with it.

“Hey,” Miyun greeted back with the same tone.

For a while, the two awkwardly just smiled and looked at each other. They felt shy all of a sudden.

“So.. do you have lunch?” Jonghyun asked after some thought.

“I was going to the cafeteria, actually,” Miyun explained. “I didn`t expect you to be here.” She innocently scratched her head.

“Let`s walk together then,” Jonghyun said with one of his sweet smiles.

Miyun nodded as she walked next to him. She felt quite happy seeing his smiles more than his smirks now, although she knew she was more used to them.

The walk to the cafeteria was indeed.. quiet. The two just stood side by side, glancing at each other once in a while. Miyun kept rubbing her arm during the walk, while Jonghyun kept his hands in his pockets the whole time.

Routinely, they both go to the cafeteria every lunch time, but they just never see each other there. Miyun would usually get there early to grab her food. After paying, she would just return back to her classroom to eat. Jonghyun, on the other hand, would go there a bit later. He`d stay with his friends and eat with them there.

“I feel like getting some sushi today,” Miyun finally spoke up after they entered the cafeteria. She started walking her way to the food shelf to get her snack.

Jonghyun just followed. “I`ll probably just get the same thing.”

Miyun took a small container of sushi and walked over to the next shelf to get a small bottle of chocolate milk. She went ahead to pay, when Jonghyun expectedly stopped her from handing her money.

“I`ll pay for those too,” he said to the cafeteria lady as he pointed to Miyun`s food.

 

The weather was nice out, so they decided to eat by the school`s main field. They sat down on one of the benches, facing the grass.

Eating started off normally. Whenever they ate together, they never usually talk anyway. There was the exception of when somebody randomly says something and a conversation starts. But those conversations barely last either. They tend to appreciate their food more.

Miyun quietly devoured her four pieces of sushi. On her last one, she looked over to Jonghyun who was still busy eating. She noticed something she weirdly hasn`t noticed before. “Uhm.. oppa?” she said awkwardly.

Startled, Jonghyun looked at her. “What?”

“I can`t believe I never noticed this before,” she said. “But how come you eat with your left hand? Aren`t you right-handed?”

Jonghyun smirked, causing Miyun to shake her head. She thought she would live through at least a day without seeing him smirk. He put his chopsticks down and slightly raised both of his hands. “I can use both hands,” he said proudly.

“Oh,” Miyun reacted. “That`s something new..” She just shook her head again and continued eating.  So did Jonghyun.

After her last roll, Miyun reached for her chocolate milk. She punched the straw in and took a sip. She stopped when she heard a cough from beside her. “Are you ok?”

Jonghyun pouted. “I`m thirsty,” he said. He pointed to the chocolate milk. “Mind if I..?”

Miyun looked at him blankly as if he did something wrong. She gave the bottle to him nonetheless, but she still looked at him with suspicion. “You did this on purpose..”

He took the bottle and looked back at her. “Did what on purpose?” Jonghyun asked with a slightly-guilty looking smile on his face. He held the bottle higher and started drinking from the same straw.

“You didn`t get a drink for yourself so you could share with-”

“You act like we don`t share water bottles during training,” Jonghyun butted in. But he himself knew that that was it. Anything other than water bottles, Miyun wasn`t comfortable sharing with him. It didn`t take long until another smile formed on his face. “Heh, smooth move huh?” he said, referring to the whole chocolate milk thing.

Miyun just shook her head at his mischievousness. “Aigoo.” She looked at the sky with hopeful and happy eyes. “What have I gotten myself into?” She moved slightly closer to Jonghyun and rested her head on his shoulder.


Pretty crack-y chapter. :P

The present probably makes no sense right now, but everything will come clear once the next chapters unfold~ As for the past.. lol. Fail. They`re back in some kind of awkward relationship. They have.. mood swings. Hahahaha. IDK. But Jonghyun is a sneaky boyfriend. -___-

Also, I`m a little out of ideas for the past. :P Well, I actually have a list already, but I don`t think they`re enough. o__o So if you have any moment ideas for the couple, just tell me~

Actually, I rushed this chapter a bit. I wanted to post up at least two chapters before the 20th. Why? I`m leaving on the 20th again. ^___^' Don`t hate me. I`mma be in Vegas. Lol. I ain`t even legal, so dw. Just read chapter 20 over and over and your lives will be fine.

Lol. So much talk about 20.

Anyway, yeah. Haha. I love your comments for last chapter. XDD I think I made your heart rates go up or smthn idk.

le discounted kpopsweatbands

AND BEFORE I FORGET, HAPPY BIRTHDAY LEE TAEMIN. <33 I LOVE YOU SO MUCH, YOU DON`T EVEN KNOW. ;___; 

I should be writing my Taemin fic then. O: But I just updated the other day. :| Hehe. I will tomorrow/later then. 

Comment/subscribe!