The New Member

In Every Universe

30th June, 2020

Vernon was walking down the street. His watch showed 5:32. Sun was still high up there. 

He felt a little stiff. There was nothing to be nervous about. But he couldn't help feeling a little uneasy.

Just one more turn and he will reach the destination. He kept walking against his body's wish. 

He wanted to go there. To experience something new, for a change. But not all new experiences are pleasant.

It's not easy being a spy. Always being in fights, surrounded with guns and emotionless human beings. 

Still lost in thoughts, he found himself in front of a house. 

WAIT !! It wasn't a house.

It was a freaking mansion. It looked normal from outside. Actually, not his style at all. 

But the main door could not be the entrance. He moved a little forward. 

He found himself standing in front of an alley. It was almost unnoticeable.

He might not have paid attention to it hadn't he known about it already. 

It was almost covered with bushes. He walked in. Space was really narrow.

And a door, almost unrecognizable, came to his notice. 

He pressed the doorbell.

A sound came from the speaker of the side lock. 

"You can come in". The door clicked and opened. 

He entered hesitantly. 

Another door welcomed him. He was expecting it. It couldn't be that simple. 

There was a camera with the lock this time. 

An excited voice came, "What is the Password ? " 

He answered, "CARAT". 

His company had given the necessary information already. 

SEVENTEEN , a group of spies, 12 members, in business for last 2 years.

He was their 13th and last member. 

A clicking sound reached his ears. He came out of his thoughts.

The door swung open.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Inside the Mansion : 

S.coups called all of s. He was standing in the centre of the living room, a file in his hand.

3 large couches and a big center table around him. It took 5 minutes just to get all of them at one place. 

Dk : What is it hyung ? I was going to get Seungkwan some sauce. 

Sk ( Seungkwan ) : ( Confused ) Why would you ? 

Hani ( Jeonghan ) : More like he was gonna pour it on you......

Dino : You should have called me then. How can I miss that ? 

Sk : Yaaaa......

Hao ( Minghao ) : Will you guys ever grow up ?

Coups : Will you shut up for once ? It's something important.

Remember I told you about the new member. He is coming today.

Gyu ( Mingyu ) : ( Excitedly ) Oh Nice !! What is his name? 

Hoshi : Ohhh, It's gonna be fun.

Sk : How old is he ? 

Coups : I will tell if you let me speak. His name is Hansol Vernon Chwe. Half American - Half korean. 

Dino : Ohh he can speak English then, just like Joshua Hyung. 

All 11 heads turned towards Joshua, who was doing his best to be not looked at. 

No reaction came from his side. But it did not bother anyone. It was normal since it was Joshua. 

Wonu ( Wonwoo ) : When is he coming ? 

Coups : In 5 minutes, I guess.....

Shua ( Joshua ) : I am going to my room if that's all. 

He got up from the couch but couldn't move forward as coups spoke. 

Coups : Don't. Wait till he comes at least. It's not gonna take long. 

He must be here any minute.......almost whispering.

Shua sunk back in the couch, obviously with a stern face. 

Dk : I think we should welcome him with........

( Well we can't know what Dk wanted Vernon to welcome with cause......)

Dk stopped talking, hearing the sound of bell. 

Hoshi : He is here, I guess....

Hani : ( speaks facing the lock ) You can come in.

Seconds later, a young boy, quite handsome, and a little worried, entered. 

All 12 heads turned towards him in unison......

Vernon's POV : 

As soon as I entered, I saw 12 faces looking at me. Some looked curious, and some with indescernible faces. 

And yet, 1 face looked........I don't understand. I pulled up myself. 

Vernon : ( Bowing to all of them ) Hello, my name is Hansol Vernon Chwe. 

Coups :  No need to bow. I am Choi Seungchoel. Welcome to the team......ahh-uh...should I call you Hansol or Bonona ( Vernon in korean accent) ?

He looks like a tough guy. But friendly.

Vernon : Anything is fine. But I personally prefer Vernon. 

Coups : Okay then, Bonona it is. Welcome Bonona-ah. 

Most of them said in unison at once...... : Welcome. 

Coups : Come, let me introduce you to everybody. ( Putting his hand on Vernon's shoulder ) 

Yaaa..... come forward and introduce yourselves.

First to come forward was Jeonghan. 

Hani : (Taking Vernon's hand ) Hello Bonona, I am Yoon Jeonghan. Welcome to the team. 

Jeonghan smiled encouragingly at Vernon. 

Dino : Hi, I am Lee Chan. Also Dino, everybody calls me that. You can too. 

Dk : Hii, I am Lee Seokmin. You can call me Dk just like everybody else does ( shaking Vernon's hand quite excitedly ). Welcome to the team ( now almost grinning ). 

Vernon responded with an awkward smile. 

Vernon hadn't met spies of this kind before. They all were frinedly and welcoming. Something most of the spies lacked.

Hoshi : Hi, I am Kwon Soonyoung. You can call me Hoshi, I like that more.

Welcome to the team Bonona...

Sk : Hi, I am Boo Seungkwan. Let's be friends.

Gyu : Hello, I am Kim Mingyu, tallest of all. Welcome......( while hugging Vernon ) to the team.

Wooahh.....A hug. I wasn't expecting this at all.

Vernon : Thank you. 

Wonu : Hello, I am Jeon Wonwoo. 

Gyu : ( interrupting wonu ) and he is my boyfriend. 

Hao : You don't need to be so possessive everytime. Hi, I am Xu Minghao. 

I am from China. Jun hyung too ( pointing at Jun ). 

Jun with a little smile waved at Vernon. Vernon waved back, awkwardly. 

Jun : Hi, I am Wen Junhui. Welcome.

Vernon : Yeah, thank you.

I tried to sound friendly.

Woozi : Hello, I am Lee Jihoon. You can call me Woozi. 

Vernon took his hand. He looked calm, unlike others. 

Coups : Yeah....that's it. Wait.......( counting in his mind ) who is left ?

Dino : Joshua hyung ( pointing at Joshua who was sitting on the couch, not looking at any of them ).

Coups : Oh yeah, he is Hong Jisoo or you can say Joshua. He is from U.S just like you. 

I looked at where dino was pointing. Our eyes met. He looked cold. He gave me a stern look and then turned to look another side.

Coups : (Whispering to vernon ) He is like that all the time. Don't mind him. ( Giving Vernon an encouraging smile )

It felt quite strange. All of them were not like I expected. But normally spies are........quiet. 

They don't really talk unless it's related to work. And being serious all the time.

But these people are different.

But it's good. It feels differently good. I think it's gonna be a pleasant change. 

All of them came to me excitedly. Except one. 

He looks cold. But not distant. I don't know how to feel about it. 

.................._____________________...................

They all sat on the sofas. Vernon was sitting between dk and hani. 

Hani : Bonona, how old are you ? 

Vernon : I turned 22 this year. 

Dino : Ohh, then......

Hani : Yes, you are still the youngest. Our maknae.....( he gave dino a loving grin ).

Coups : Ahhh, Dino and Sengkwan are your age Bonona. Rest of us are older. 

You can call us hyungs. 

Vernon nodded. 

Coups : Dino and dk will show you around the house and your room too.

If there is anything, feel free to ask. Okay ?

Vernon : Yes, thank you.

Shua : I am going to my room. 

Everybody just watched him silently. Coups wanted to say something maybe. But he decided against it.

Dino : Let's go hyung ( taking vernon's hand ).

Vernon went to look around with dino and dk.

Dino held his hand. He didn't stop him.

Everybody else went off to whatever they were upto.