the system, jimin, and i

Idol Factory
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

| Minjeong

「Good evening, ladies and gentlemen! Welcome to an exciting night filled with electrifying performances and incredible talent. I am your admin, Boa, and I am absolutely thrilled to be your guide through this journey of discovering the next generation of K-pop sensations.」

On the huge TV screen in front of me, Boa introduced herself when a famous actor appeared backstage and stood next to her with a charming smile, which caused loud cheers from the audience.

The cheers were so loud that I could hear them from here in real-time.

I was told to wait in a secluded room until it was time for me to perform since I had been kept a secret from everyone. I felt a bit nervous since I would be performing with the judges, and this was my final moment in the competition.

Unlike the others, I was aware of my guaranteed debut thanks to the show's unexpected turn. I could even say that it was a miracle.

Although I was sure that I was going to get criticized after this, but heck... As someone like me who disregarded the idea of being an idol to stamping it as a goal throughout this competition due to the system— it was as if Squidward hated his neighbors all of his life, only to admit he grew attached to them.

With these thoughts spiraling inside my head, I adjusted the earpiece on my ear and focused back on the TV screen.

「Boa: It's been many months, and time has passed quickly. We're already in the final episode.」

「Actor: Yeah, I couldn't believe it. I'm one of the active viewers, and even if I expected this show to end later, I loved it so much that a part of me just wanted it to continue for a little bit longer. Yet, I'm delighted to have been given this chance to host this last episode.」

*KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK*

When I finished fixing my earpiece, I instantly turned my head toward the sudden knocks on the door. I furrowed my brows because of this, as I wasn't informed that a staff would come back for me.

So, it couldn't be them.

However, that's when a thought came into my mind.

[ Skill Activated ]
(Glitch)
Uses Remaining: 1
+ Skill is on cooldown for the next 15hrs
!! The user disabled all cameras inside the room !!

"You did it, didn't you? What did you do?"

The culprit of the knocking asked the moment she stepped into the room and locked the door, facing me. She was dressed in black and red attire, with punk-style makeup. It was apparent that she was one of the competitors— as I had anticipated.

After what I've done while experiencing life for the second time, thanks to Yizhuo, I expected her to come to me sooner or later. I just didn't think it would be this early. Did her beloved appear already?

"Minjeong, what did you do?"

Heejin asked me again and took a step closer to where I sat. Well, it wasn't like she was angry at me or anything. Rather, she looked confused and somehow scared. I wasn't sure how to react, so I only smiled at her.

"How did you know that I was here? Did you see the future?"

"Yeah, I knew you'd be here since we arrived at Incheon." Heejin shook her head, "But that's not the point! Did you do it or not? Please, I want to know... we don't have much time."

I stood up and gave her shoulder a comforting pat, noticing the sincerity and urgency in her expression.

"Yep, I did it. Did Hyunjin show herself to you already? Did you notice anything with the system?"

"Tch... Even with (Future Sight), you really are unpredictable." Heejin pushed my hand off her shoulder with a smile, "Yeah, Hyunjin came back to life and called me on the phone a few hours ago. Because of that, I couldn't access the system... I'm not a player anymore."

Nodding at her words understandingly, I hummed in thought.

"Since Hyunjin never died in the first place, you never became a player. And considering you're still in this competition... It means you planned on joining anyway, is that right?"

"..."

"..."

We just looked at each other in silence for a few seconds before I felt a bit awkward and decided to break it.

"Heejin?"

"Oh, come here, you."

While cracking out a small laugh, Heejin pulled me into a tight hug out of nowhere.

It was so sudden that didn't know how to respond.

"I don't know what you did, and you probably wouldn't tell me even if I asked— but thank you." She sighed deeply, "As much as I love the system's offers and exchanges, I'm glad my title as a player got revoked. It can be more terrifying if you think about it."

"You're glad...?"

When she pulled away from the embrace, I raised a brow out of curiosity.

"What about the unattainable powers you achieved? Isn't it a bit of a waste?"

Heejin laughed, "I admit it... It may take me some time to adjust, but that's just how it is. We are both familiar with the risks and dangers of being part of the system, even though it can be rewarding."

"Ahh... I see."

"Why ask?"

"I was curious."

That was all I could say, and Heejin playfully punched me on the shoulder. She looked around the room to check if the cameras were blinking.

"As I thought, I didn't see the window when you deactivated the cameras... I think I will miss the system's UI suddenly popping up in front of me whenever something happens."

She sighed.

"Well, I guess that's for the best, haha!"

After exchanging a few words, Heejin turned around, thanked me with all of her heart the second time, and complimented my outfit before unlocking the door to step out of the room.

Watching her depart with such a joyful composure as if nothing had occurred, and putting on a facade for the cameras made me feel as though I had missed out on a great opportunity.

Because we had similar experiences relating to time, I was going to ask her to become the first player of the (Time Category).

But I think she would be better off without it.

 

 

Heejin had to leave quickly because her team was assigned to perform first onstage. The group consisted of Heejin, Yerim, Jiwoo, Yujin, and Yeji, and they were given the song "Cherry Bomb" by NCT 127.

Knowing them and being aware of their skills in genres like that, I knew from the moment Boa announced their song on episode 7 that they would crush it.

Still, I wasn't allowed to leave this room until it was my time to perform.

It would be better if I were to see it with my own eyes backstage.

Too bad.

Nonetheless, I put on a facade and reacted here and there for the cameras as I watched their performance fade in on the TV screen.

Initially, the stage appeared dim and gloomy, but it gave the audience enough visibility. The five performers were arranged on stage as per the original choreography, anticipating the commencement of the music.

Hurry, hurry, avoid it, right
Cherry bomb feel it yum
Hurry, hurry, avoid it, right
Cherry bomb feel it yum

As soon as the stage was illuminated, all the performers started moving in sync with Yeji, who began singing the first verse in a low voice. They were dressed in dark and bright outfits, each tailored to enhance their unique aura and appearance.

The theme appeared to be an abandoned junkyard with various props of shattered vehicles.

I'm the biggest hit
I'm the biggest hit on this stage

It was now Yujin's turn.

Right from the start, their team exuded a commanding presence as they confidently positioned themselves around the stage in sync.

The members' movements are strong and synchronized, reflecting the assertive lyrics of the song. They assert their individuality while also coming together as a powerful unit.

The time is here for sure
I'mma do my thing
It's noisy outside my waiting room
No one can take their eyes off me

Heejin was currently in the center as she executed the complicated steps flawlessly, singing with an alluring look in her eyes.

Maybe it was because of her title (Mist) that she was able to hide her true abilities, but now that her being a player got revoked— it was clear that her voice and movements went through a lot of sharpening as if it was worth of someone within the top three.

As the song progresses, Team Cherry Bomb utilizes their powerful movements to symbolize their theme of breaking free from constraints and embracing individuality.

I don't wanna be trapped and lost
I'll burn my everything with just one firework
I'm the biggest hit
I'm the biggest hit

The way they distributed the rapping parts evenly was amazing. They executed the flow well as if they had become main rappers overnight. I could imagine the long hours they pondered about who gets which part to suit their voices.

Take a fist or stone or a gunshot
We've gotten stronger, NINE, catch our cherry bomb

Yujin ended the last part of the rap as she ran her long hair back with her fingers and swiftly returned to her position. It wasn't different from the original choreography— though it felt different, it entranced me into a short daze.

When the iconic move approached, where everyone would slowly do the splits, Yeji took the center position, and they all looked at the camera broadcasting on the big screens menacingly.

They looked so fierce.

I'm the biggest hit
I'm the biggest hit on this stage

Everyone screamed.

I could hear it from here.

Each member brings their unique flair to the performance, captivating the audience with their magnetic presence. Team Cherry Bomb's chemistry shone through in every move, demonstrating their unity as a team and making the dance even more engaging to watch.

In the end, their performance finished with many backup dancers acting as policemen chasing them out of the junkyard.

Cheers erupted.

Ugh, I wish I could get out of here and watch everything else from the backstage.

*KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK*

Just then, there were three knocks on the door. It was locked, so it would be impossible if someone tried to get in. Thankfully, the knocks came from a staff. He didn't open the door and only told me to get ready in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter