56 | so, it's you?

Idol Factory
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After four days of absence, Minjeong managed to go back to filming as if nothing had happened. Everyone greeted her when she arrived back at the mansion, even preparing a small celebration by playing a bunch of games and eating various food.

However, as soon as that was over, Minjeong didn't care about the cameras and snuck out at night. She would've asked Jimin to go with her, but she was too tired and wouldn't want her girlfriend to go beyond her limits.

Everyone was asleep by now, and Minjeong chose to practice all night. Even if it would be difficult without that skill she obtained in the early days, Minjeong brought a mug and countless packets of instant coffee.

Open experience bars.

Without looking too suspicious, Minjeong placed her bag in the corner of the studio while observing the experience bars on the floating window in front of her.

Because of that accident, she had no choice but to spend all of them to (Vitality) to avoid dying. It worked like a charm... but that just placed her at the edge of a cliff now that she was behind everyone in terms of skill.

She had to grind for those experience points again.

Maybe get lucky and earn herself a skill roulette from the system.

"Right, I can do this."

Minjeong huffed, slapping both of her cheeks at the same time. Because the studio was inside the mansion, she wouldn't want to make a noise and settled with the earbuds she packed inside her bag.

Promptly, she connected her earbuds with bluetooth and pressed play on the remote for the sound system provided for them. Then, she started to dance, but her movements were awkward and uncoordinated. She stumbled over her own feet and nearly fell a few times.

Not that there was something wrong with her, but... after four days without rehearsals, Minjeong admitted in her thoughts that she felt rusty. Maybe it was one of the side effects she gained from transferring her injuries, but she couldn't be sure.

With that in thought, while focusing on her movements in the mirror, Minjeong hit her arm against a wall and winced quietly. The steps are too complicated! And for someone like her who's still a newbie, it's tough— even with the help of the system.

"Arms... hurt."

Keeping a straight face, Minjeong said in between her breaths as she dropped dead onto the mat in the corner. She made sure to give the active camera a thumbs up to ensure she was fine... just having a hard time.

"I'm in big trouble."

"And yet, you're doing amazing!"

Upon hearing someone's voice, Minjeong turned her head to lie on her cheek and look at the figure standing under the doorway.

It was Moon Sua.

What could she be doing awake at this hour? Minjeong glanced at the clock on the wall, realizing it was 4 am. At that point, seeing one of the contestants this early was no longer strange. But what is she doing here?

Minjeong sat up and shook her head. She took this opportunity to finally check the latter's status window, only to miserably fail when the system denied her access.

[ !! Alert !! ]
Due to the huge level differences, the player restricted the user from viewing their status window.

Player?

Unfazed, Minjeong tilted her head and scratched her cheek— she knew something was up with Sua since day one. And only then, when she finally reached the required level, was it revealed to her.

Not wanting to look weird in front of the cameras, Minjeong casually reached a hand to grab her towel on the floor before watching Sua as she approached her. Sua sat on the floor beside her and gave her a soft pat on the back.

"You know, in scenarios like this... I've never seen anyone as hard-working as you."

"No." Minjeong shook her head dismissively, "Everyone here works hard. I'm just trying to catch up since I was gone for four days. The song given to our team was— it's hard." she sighed.

"But, I bet you'll get over it like the past missions."

Sua gave Minjeong a knowing look and smiled. It was as if she was trying to indicate something... For sure, she saw the window about Minjeong trying to view her status window, and the latter felt somewhat odd knowing this fact.

"I hope so..."

That was all Minjeong could say before Sua's gaze turned into a comforting look. This wasn't the first time they interacted with each other, but it was the first time they talked to each other this long.

"Minjeong, I'm curious."

"What's up?"

"Are you trying to win the competition because you want to...? Or is it because you need to?"

With her lips pursed, Sua smiled, and Minjeong was left speechless for a moment. That question sparked something inside of her, and she felt guilty.

She realized many things— from seeing the very first contestants get eliminated to moving up a level that brought them to where they are now. Almost all of them had this huge passion for becoming an idol, hence, joining the competition for that opportunity.

However, Minjeong... she realized that she was only doing it to survive the outbreak and live for Jimin and her grandmother. And she admits it. It wasn't her plan to become an idol in the first place. It never passed her mind.

Rather, she'd be the one ruining people's lives by following them around and selling information to any higher-ups of entertainment and news companies. She realized that a long time ago while in the middle of the competition.

"So, Minjeong... what's it to you?" Sua asked as she laid her back against the wall, "Do you really want to become an idol?"

"Yes."

Minjeong didn't hesitate to answer, and that was the truth. She was even shocked to hear such confirmation come out of when she knew she'd space out and think again. But, at the same time, she was glad that she could answer without being reluctant.

Sua's eyes sligh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter