Extra

Back To Square One
Please log in to read the full chapter

šŸŽµDon't keep my love on the low low

Keep my love on the low low

You can throw me like a yo-yo

But I promise I won't let gošŸŽ¶

A lively beat can be heard throughout the whole house and Ten swings his hips a bit, following the rhythm while inspecting himself in front of a full-length mirror.

"Hair, check. Clothes, check. Face, check. Damn, I look fabulous!" He said and winked. "Lele! I'm going out for a while!" He called for his younger cousin but he didn't get a reply, so he decided to knock at the boy's room before opening it.

Ten saw the boy curled up on the bed back-facing him, gaze directed at the window. He's bed-rotting yet again, it's not always like this but it's getting frequentā€¦ just like the first few months when they left Seoul.

"Are you alright there, sweetie?" He asked in his usual cheerful tone.

The younger one stirred in surprise as if he hadn't heard the door opening before. He sat up and stared at him "Ten hyung!" Chenle exclaimed with a forced smile. "Are you calling for me? You're wearing a new shirt! Are you going out?"

Instead of answering all the questions, Ten approached him and took a seat on the bed. "I guess you're stressing yourself again! You should come with me!"

Chenle scanned Ten with his eyes and pouted. "I'm okay here, it looks like you'll be going on a date."

The older chuckled at his cousin's cuteness, he pinched the latter's cheek and pulled on them. It earned him a loud 'Aww' before getting smacked in the face.

"Yah, hyung!"

"Yah! Hyung!" He mimicked. "Who said I'm going on a date? I will only date girls who are prettier than me which I never had a chance of encountering. I'm always the prettier one." He followed it with a sassy eye roll. "Yet even with boys, I'm always more handsome. Most of them smell like ball sacks too. So date? No, there's no dateā€¦ there is, however, a thing I need to buy."

"Eww, Hyung! Ball sacks? Who are you hanging around that smells like that?" Chenle's face contorted. "Maybe you're just destined to grow old alone."

"I don't mind living alone, dear cousin but what I do mind is dying as a ."

Ten laughed so hard when Chenle rolled his eyes.

"Your tactless hyung!"

"Nyeh nyeh!" He got up, yanking Chenle's arms, forcing him to stand up. "Come on! Take a shower 'cause you're going with me!"

"I don't want, hyung!"

"Don't be stubborn!" He widened his eyes and once again tried pulling Chenle up with much more force than before. It's a success. He smiled to himself when Chenle lazily left the bed, dragging his to the closet to get some clothes while wearing a very ugly expression.

"For the record, Lele, you look ugly when you pout. Stop that."

"Where do you really plan on going?" Chenle whined and jutted his lower lip some more.

"I'm just gonna buy some school supplies. Then we'll be going to Aunt Yeppeo's sweet shop!" Ten helped his cousin get ready by folding the blanket the younger used. "It's better to eat some sweets than to lie on your bed for the whole day, asking yourself why everything's the way they are, it will just make you sad. Don't let sadness eat you or you'll get ugly like that! I don't like an ugly cousin!"

Chenle shook his head as he watched Ten make the bed while talking non-stop. He can never win over his older cousin's persistence, besides, the latter is right, thinking of things all over again will just make him lonely. He needs to pull himself together because at the end of the day, overthinking won't solve his problems.

"Yah!"

He jumped at Ten's sudden outburst. "I told you to take a shower! Go on!" the older one grabbed a towel out of nowhere and put it over his shoulder. Chenle just sighed and obliged.



Ā 

"Mmh!" Ten savored the taste of the Black Forest cake he's eating right now. "I really can't believe you aren't an angel with these delicious cakes of yours, Aunt Yeppeo!"

Yewon laughed whole-heartedly at Ten's remark. "This kid! Alright, since you seem so happy today, I would put a discount on your orders.."

"Oww!" Ten cooed dramatically while clutching his chest. "Thank you, Aunt Yeppeo." She's really cool, kind, and pretty so he nicknamed her yeppeo.

"Alright, enjoy your cake boys, ring the bell if you need anything." The woman smiled and patted the cousin's shoulders before going back to the counter.

"Gosh, hyung! You're such a kiss ." Chenle teased. He feels more okay now, going out can be beneficial.

Ten looked at him with a grin. "It's the talent of our family I'm afraid you didn't inherit."

"Well," the younger one faked a puke. "I can't imagine myself talking like that." He smiled when he remembered something. "And hyung, you said you'll only date girls who are prettier than you and you often call Aunt Yewon Aunt Yepā€”pmphfkp"

Ten quickly stuffed his younger cousin's mouth with a big piece of cake. "Don't dare say that again, Chenle." He warned with a smile while looking around the cafƩ, ensuring that no one heard the boy's words. "She's pretty, alright? But, she's almost the same age as Mom." Then a sly grin tugged his lips. "You wanna talk about dating? Well, how about you Lele? When do you plan on dating?"

He crossed his arms and gave his cousin a challenging stare. "You never had a crush again afterā€“"

"Hyung!" Chenle cringed. "That's so yesterday. I even forgot how it felt."

"How it felt to be in love?" Ten threw him an intriguing stare, pairing it with a devious grin.

Chenle was about to retort but a squeal was suddenly heard across the whole cafƩ, drawing the attention of almost everyone. It was from Yewon's niece, Eunji, who works part-time here.

"Yes! I'm talking about that guy from the other day! The son of your friend! He's really cute, Unnie." Eunji exclaimed excitedly. "What's his name? I wanna look him up on socials."

"Ah~ Minhyung. He often goes by Mark! Eunji-ah, those ferries your school borrowed for the field trip are owned by their family."

"R-Really?"

Yewon nods. "He's the son of the Minhye Group."

Ten's eyes flew back to Chenle. "That's Mark Leeā€¦"

Well, Mark's family is very influential, especially in this city, some even nicknamed his dad the boss of Busan which made it kinda sound 'mafia-ish'. There was a rumor that Lee Byunghun has a lot of securities on standby, they don't often get seen with him but they're just always around his perimeter. Their whole family was very lowkey so there's not much information about them.

"Wow! That'sā€¦ so they also own the Minhye resort, right?" The girl Eunji squealed again. "He came along with a cute guy too. I don't think they're brothersā€¦ Are they friends? But they seem awkward while eating."

"Yah, Eunji! You're asking too much." Yewon scolds while laughing. "I don't know, okay? But they are schoolmates. Would you look for his socials too? His name is Donghyuck and he's a nice kid. Now, go back to work."

Ten's eyes darted back to his cousin. ", Lele! Sh-She said Donghyuck, right?"

Chenle nodded, now with widened eyes. How many Donghyuck can there be?

"Haechan used to like Mark, right? Do you think it's him?"

"I ā€“ I don't know hyungā€¦" Chenle shook his head, the cake in front had been long forgotten since the mention of his old friend's name.

Sensing the sudden decline in his cousin's tone, Ten became concerned. "Are you okay?"

Chenle looked down and bit his lip. "H-He went here and he might come back again." Then he shook his head. "What would I do if he sees me here, Hyung?"

Ten sighed. Here comes the sadness. Chenle's often been upset, worried, and lonely since they left Seoul, and his heart truly aches for him. It was a pity. His cousin didn't do anything wrongā€¦ but his dad's been involved in some bad situations, he's on the run and until now, no one has seen him yet. With everything that happened in their family, the two of them were forced to leave their former school and move here to Busan. Chenle had to cut off contact with his friends and Ten had to create a gap between him and his friend, Taeyong. He kept contact with the latter but it was minimal.



Ā 

Upon returning home, Ten kept his silence, eyes on the open windows in Chenle's room. The sun was shining brightly outside but the mood inside the room was gloomy. He's sitting on the bed beside the younger one. None of them speaks, he's waiting for his cousin to open up the topic but it seems like the other is more comfortable staying silent than talking about his burdens.

It was just a year ago when everything in Chenle's life started crumbling down. His dad was kicked out of a good-paying job and got blacklisted in the industry he was in, while his mom was diagnosed with cancer. His dad was able to pay for her medicine and surgery but it pushed their family into a pile of debts with large interest rates that they needed to sell or close some of their businesses. They even had to sell their house and move to somewhere smaller.

The final nail in the coffin though that made them leave SM Academy was when Chenle's dad ran away. Police came into their house looking for Zhong Cheng Li as he needed to be interrogated for some "serious crimes" as they put it. With their family name in ruins, their financial status declining, and even the patriarch of the family tied to various crimes and even big syndicates, Chenle decided to avoid his friends. He was afraid they would think differently of him once they found out about all this.

Especially since Donghyuck's parents passed away because of murder too. Would they like to be friends with a kid whose father was suspected of murder?

"Hyungā€¦" Chenle called after a while.

Ten eyed him. "What's the matter, Chenle?"

"I ā€“ Iā€¦" Then the boy sobbed. "Hyung, I wonder when he will return. I can't be like this forever. I miss everythingā€¦ the way things used to be."

Ten felt an ache in him, he missed the way things were too, but he couldn't break down like Chenle. His younger cousin had it worse so he should be the one he can rely on.

He ruffled the boy's hair. "You miss our family. Your dadā€¦ your friends."

Chenle wiped his tears away but it was useless, another batch of tears replaced them. "I always do but I have no right to be friends with them."

That statement made Ten frustrated. "Don't say that! You're not at fault here. You shouldn't punish yourself for an unsure thing, Chenle." He advised. "I'm sure Haechan and Jaemin miss you a lot too. Do you want to talk to them?"

"Talk to them?" The boy eagerly shook his head. "I don't even know what I should say." He stupidly avoided them, they tried to talk to him through Ten but he shut them off completely. "I don't have friends anymore, hyungā€¦ just you. Who would want to be friends with a son of a syndicate?"

Ten his cousin's head, feeling sorry. "Do you really believe Uncle Cheng can do something like that?"

"I used to believe he can'tā€¦ but now? I don't know what to believe anymore, Ten hyung." Chenle sniffled. "If he's innocent then why won't he show up? He should tell us that he didn't do it. He should return and tell us, hyung!" He clenched his fists. "Our family can't be like this forever."

Ten sighed and rubbed circles on his back. "Things will be okay againā€“"

*KNOCK KNOCK

He was cut off by a knock on the door followed by the voice of Chenle's mom. "Lele, Ten. I'll come in."

"Mom," Chenle called when his mom entered. She seemed like she was pitying him. "What is it?"

"You're crying againā€¦" Chunhua sighed and sauntered into the room. "If only things didn't happen as they did. We wouldn't need to move you and Tenā€¦ we would still have our house."

"Don't Mom. I love it here." Chenle looked down, he didn't like it when his mom started saying those things. It often ends up with her blaming herself. "You're here, Auntie is here, Ten hyung is here, that's all that matters."

"But you hate the school and the neighborhood."

Well, that's true, students at school gossip a lotā€“about how his dad is a criminal on the run. While some people in their neighborhood look at their family with disgust. Thankfully the neighbors didn't do anything violent but their gazes were enough to know what they were thinking. There are a few people who make their stay here worthwhile thoughā€¦ like Aunt Yewon who's always kind and nice to everyone.

"Would it cheer you up if I tell you that you can go back to Seoul? With your Ten hyung."

The cousins widened their eyes, Chunhua is now smiling a bit despite her sad eyes.

"Huh?"

"What do you mean Auntie?"

"Both of you can go back to the school you used to attend and live in the apartment you used to rent in. You don't have toā€¦ feel stuck here."

"How?" Chenle asked, confused at what his mom was saying.

SM Academy is one of the most prestigious schools in the country, he doesn't think they have the means to enroll in that school again unless they will be in the admission quota or scholarships like Donghyuck and Taeyong. Not to mention, the apartment they used to rent was also a bit on the luxurious side. How can they afford those?

"Auntie, I don't want you and Mom to work so hard just for me and Chenle to live well." Ten said. "Both of you need to be easy on yourselves too."

Chenle nodded at this. "As long as we're all together and okay, we can get through."

His mom smiled faintly. "Don't worry about us, Ten, Chenle. We have a family friend who expressed their desire to help us. They will sponsor your education and apartment. Our family still has connectionsā€¦ at least we can still do that much for the two of you."

"Connections?" Chenle frowned. Who's nice enough to do that? "Why would they want to help us?"

Chunhua shook her head. "It doesn't matter now. Your dad saidā€“"

"You talked to dad?" He felt a bit betrayed but his mom raised a hand as if stopping him from concluding.

"I didn't, okay?" She sighed regretfully. "He justā€¦ sent me a letter."

"What wasā€“"

"It doesn't say anything about his whereabouts, son. It was just to say he was safe and to say he didn't do any of what he was accused of. A friend is helping him clear his name."

Chenle felt a fusion of guilt and anger within him. Guilt because he was doubting whatever his dad said and anger because he felt he was being kept in the dark. Yet he tried to calm himself and eyed his mom. "Do you trust him? Even after all this time? Can you say you still fully trust him?"

Chunhua was taken aback, then she nodded. "I still do. Cheng will get back his name and reputation. This family will get back what we've lost. Let's just wait for him, Chenleā€¦ okay? Please trust your dad."

Chenle wanted to, but it's just so hard when he doesn't even know his dad's plans!

"But who is this friend that's helping him? Are you sure he can be trusted? I-I don't know what to believe in anymore, Mom." He admitted, feeling regretful because she looked so hurt when he said that. "I'm sorry, it's just thatā€¦ Why can't Dad come home? Why can't he answer the police?"

His mom once again sighed and patted his shoulder. "It was more complicated than that, Chenle. Sometimes, people hide not because they did something wrong but because they don't trust the system. So, they just show up once they get everything figured out. But believe me, I know your dad will never do those crimes. This friend who helps him is someone who has great connections, he was also affected by the syndicate that was trying to pin your dad. He can help us."

"Then what will happen to you and mom?" Ten interfered.

Chunhua smiled at him. "We won't stay here for long. We will move somewhere closer to your mom's workplace. We have a family friend there too." He looks at Ten and Chenle alternately. "You don't have to worry about us, we will figure this out, alright?"

She the cousin's head before walking to the door but before she left completely, she turned to look at them. "Pack your belongings, you'll leave in two weeks."

Ā 

-s-e-i-m-a-r-i-

Ā 

Jaemin's confession happened on Saturday, Taeyong and Donghyuck forced him to spill what he did to ensure his triumph over their bet. He said that he asked for Aeri's help by telling her that if the girls voted for the cosplay-gender switch theme, he would treat them to lunch for a whole month.

Jaemin, feeling guilty, gave Taeyong another option. "I will search the world for an Attack on Titan costume, hyung! I promise. Since the girls and boys both have the same uniform, you can tell them that you still wore a girl's costume."

"But then how about Anton and Jeno? Never mind Hendery, he looked like he was enjoying the theme." Taeyong pouts. "You're a witch, Nana."

"Then I will even get one for Anton tooā€¦ but Jeno. Just once, hyung, can't you let him wear something stupid?" But then he sighed. "Fine, I'll get one for him too. I'm sorry, hyung."

Taeyong sneered at him. "Nevermindā€¦ I am the president of the whole student body, I should stand by my wordsā€”even when someone has cheated their way to win."

"Hyuuung, I'm sorry." Jaemin kept saying.

"I will dress what we voted for." Taeyong nodded and raised his chin. "Let me see Ningning's collection."



Ā 

After the Saturday and Sunday movie and video games marathon, Monday arrived in a flash. For Taeyong, it's the start of another five exhausting days as the school president. For Jaemin, it's the start of boring classes but happy experiences and for Donghyuck, it's the day he will see Mark Lee again after their awkward interactions in Busan.

"Good morning, Haechan, Nanaā€¦" Taeyong greeted with a yawn while approaching the table. The two boys greeted him back but were lacking energy for having to wake up early.

As he was taking a seat, he noticed the food on the table, all of them were in good shape and color. "I guess you didn't let Jaemin help you with anything. Very good!" he smiled and sat down.

"Certainly, hyung! There are only two scenarios that could happen if I let him help. It's either we will eat poison or our house will be on fire. Either way, we could die."

The brothers laughed loudly and Jaemin gritted his teeth. They are clearly mocking his cooking skills!

"Fine, since I'm just a visitor here, I will let you bully me!"

Ā 

-s-e-i-m-a-r-i-

Ā 

"Good Morning class!" Professor Kim greeted the whole class with his usual cheerful tone.

"Good morning, seonsaengnim!" All the students replied.

Donghyuck sighed when he looked at the empty seat next to him. Is Mark still sick? It's been five days! His eyes diverted to Jaemin's direction and saw that his friend's seatmate was also absent.

Donghyuck felt a bit worriedā€¦ 'Did something bad happen?' He tried to push the thought at the back of his mind and started focusing on class.

"So class, to get the answer you have tā€”" Professor Kim was explaining a Math solution when the door opened, causing him to pause from talking. "Lee Jeno, Lee Minhyung! You are 20 minutes late!"

From looking at the board, Donghyuck's eyes flew right to the door at the mention of that name. When their eyes met, he felt stupid for not being able to avert his eyes quickly. Mark Lee frowned a bit when he caught him staring as he walked to his seat.

"What's your problem?"

The question made Donghyuck lower his gaze in an instant.

"I-I'm not staring at you!" He replied and he wanted to slap himself for how defensive it sounded. But after a while, he turned to the boy again. "H-How are you?"

Mark looked like he was surprised with his concern but his expression was quickly replaced by a smug grin. "Worried about me, Princess? I'm fine. Just caught a little cold. Now, focus on the lesson."

Donghyuck felt mortified. So, that's how it is? They're back at each other's throats. What did he even expect?

"I just wanna thank you, that's all." He said bitterly.

"Thank me? Did something happen?" Mark looked at him confusedly, his brows furrowed while his head tilted and that annoyed him a lot.

"Are you kidding me? In Busanā€“"

"Forget it Donghyuck, you're good at it anyway." Mark sighed. "Don't ask me how I was

Please log in to read the full chapter