Vulnerable

Back To Square One
Please log in to read the full chapter

Upon entering the café, a middle-aged woman greeted the two high schoolers with a very huge smile. Mark said her name was Yewon, a friend of his mom. Mark introduced Donghyuck as a schoolmate and Aunt Yewon was so kind even to him. He noticed that the lady was so fond of the brat, like she was talking to her own son. She didn’t even make them pay, she was just too happy to see ‘Minhyung-ah’ again as she calls him.

Donghyuck ordered Blueberry cheesecake and Strawberry ice cream while Mark had a slice of Red Velvet. They ate without saying a word to each other but it didn't bother Donghyuck at all, he had no intention of talking with the guy and exchanging rude words with him while eating. He’s just enjoying the food as the lizard was right. Aunt Yewon indeed makes the best dessert on this planet.

When they were about to leave, Yewon told them to come again and she even hugged Mark so tight. She said that she will be visiting his mom later.

 

It's quarter to five when they left Aunt Yewon’s cafe. In Donghyuck’s estimation, they’ll be home before 8. He will just tell Taeyong that he made a group project in a classmate’s house.

“What the flying ?!” He heard Mark whisper-shouted when it suddenly rains. “Yah! C’mon!” Even before he could utter a word, the guy quickly yanked him on the arm, dragging him to the nearest structure to take shelter.

“What are we gonna do?” He casted Mark a questioning glance, it looks like the rain won’t stop any time soon and they still need to walk a few blocks to get to the train station.

“I don’t know.” Mark answered, annoyed. Well, he’s been feeling a bit sick since this morning. Now, with the rain, it may become the final trigger for a cold. “Do you have an umbrella?” 

“If I do, then we shouldn’t be standing here, waiting for the rain to stop. Duh!”

Mark scratched the back of his head. “Then maybe you have a jacket?”

“I don’t have any…”

“Tch!” 

Donghyuck watched as the other rummaged inside his backpack, looking pissed and all. “Got anything in your pocket, DoraeMork?” He teased, wanting to push his button further.

Mark just scoffed at his joke then pulled out a gray hoodie. “Take this!” 

The gesture made Donghyuck’s eyebrow arched. “How ‘bout you?”

“I can manage.”

He gulped while staring at the hoodie, undecided whether to accept it or not.

“Just take it, will you? I was the one who dragged you in here after all.”

The answer made him nod, it’s good to know stupid Mork Lee can still be logical.

Donghyuck took another glance at the hoodie before accepting it. “G-Good… at least you still have some shame in your body.”

“Tss! Just wear it, princess. Stop whining.”

He just scowled and unfolded it then looked back at Mark. “Why don’t we just share it?”

“What—”

He cut off the other by making one swift move to put his arms over Mark’s shoulder and hovered the hoodie over their heads. “See? We can fit together.” He subconsciously smiled. “Let’s go.”

“Wait, Lee Dong—” Mark had no choice but to follow him as he still had his arm over his shoulder. “Tss, fine, whatever.” 

When the other finally gave in, Donghyuck smiled wider. He was about to make some sassy comments but he only stiffened when Mark’s hand clutched his own one that was gripping on the side of the hoodie.  

His hand was… surprisingly warm!

“What?” Mark looked at him as if nothing happened.

Well, what does he expect? Of course it’s nothing to him!

‘It’s nothing to you too, Donghyuck! Stop overthinking.’

“N-N-Noth–”

“Geez, you can put your arms around me yet me holding your hand made you blush like that? You’re weird, dude.”

That made him frown. “Then fine! This is all yours.”

Yet before Donghyuck could even pull his hand away, Mark held onto it tighter and pushed him forward. 

“Tss, let’s just go. It’s not like it’s a big deal.”

Donghyuck pouted when he saw the slightest smile that passed Mark’s expression. He decided to let it go.

 

They ran as fast as they could to the station. Once inside the train, Mark just took out a plastic bag and put the wet hoodie inside.  

The ride, just like before, was quiet. The subway is full and really uncomfortable, most passengers are going home from school and office, not to mention, a lot of people inside were drenched too.. Donghyuck wanted to laugh at Mark’s face because it was obvious that it’s the boy’s first time to experience a jam-packed subway. He’s looking grim and serious again.

On the other hand, Mark kept muttering a string of curses in his mind. Since he was the one who brought Donghyuck here, he is his responsibility. He had no choice but to hold onto the younger’s arm, as he pulled him into the ocean of crowd. 

“Mark, I can’t get through, wait a bit–ugh… excuse me, excuse me. Sorry.” Donghyuck was having a hard time as he kept bumping into someone else. 

“Tsk. Is it always like this?” Mark asked once he finally found a spot to stand.

Donghyuck rolled his eyes. “Gosh. Rich kids like you can be really out of touch.”

With his words, Mark looked at him offended. “Why would you say it like that? My reality is different from your reality, if this is normal for you, then it’s not for me.”

Donghyuck shrugs, well that is certainly true! Props to this idiot for actually thinking rationally. He just sighed and took a step back, trying to give Mark the most space he could but to his surprise, the latter held onto his arm and pulled him closer.

“You stay close”

“Wh-Why?”

“Are you stupid?” Mark whispered as he inched closer. “What if someone comes between us? I’m not comfortable with other people.”

‘Comes between us?’ He wanna laugh at the choice of words. 

“Then are you comfortable with your enemy–” But Donghyuck’s eyes doubled when he suddenly felt a hand touching his behind. He tried to turn and look but there’s just too many people to even see whose hand was that.

‘Maybe, it was unintentional… it’s too crowded after all.’ He thought as he tried to calm himself down. 

But when the hand slowly moved its way under his shirt to at his waist, that’s when all his thoughts melted. He couldn’t do anything, this is very new to him and he doesn’t know how to react.

Freeze, flee, or fight?

After a while of touching his waist up to his pelvic area in a teasing way, the hand slid lower into his pants, it started tugging hard, groping, and kneading his behind.

Yet Donghyuck remained in his place, too stunned to fight or even flee. His knees were wobbly, heart’s hammering as he looked at his surroundings. If he screams… wouldn’t it be too humiliating if people find out he’s being touched inappropriately?

Donghyuck bit his lip, with fear in his system, it was easier for him to seek comfort from the person he’s most familiar with–and now, all he has is Mark. He subconsciously clings to Mark’s arm and the guy seemed to notice he was trembling.

“Hy-Hyuck?” The guy was confused, almost like he’s worried. “Are you okay? Why are you—”

“M-Mark…” He called, almost without a voice and he started squirming. He knows very well his eyes are now teary.

“You’re shaking…”

“I-I’m… someone’s… hah!” He gasped when the hand pinched him harder underneath.

“Yah, Lee Donghyuck. Are you okay?” 

But Donghyuck only looked down and started crying quietly. Mark was so confused and his heart started beating like crazy too. Damn!

“Hey.” He gently patted the boy’s cheek. “Look at me. Are you not feeling well? Why are you—”

“Someone… someone…” The smaller keeps on mumbling.

‘Someone?!’ He looked around and saw everyone was busy in their own worlds, he then looked past Donghyuck and noticed a man grinning like an idiot. He keeps looking down on Donghyuck too. Confused, he observed the man. He was able to trace his hand and… .

Mark’s eyes widened, feeling like his vein would pop anytime. He wanna burst in anger. “You little piece of !” Uncaring of everyone else, he grabbed the hand that was on Donghyuck and yanked it hard. He doesn’t care if this creep will break his arm–heck, he wouldn’t even care if he snaps his neck.

The people around them turned to look and some even screamed and jolted in surprise. They started pushing back, making space despite how crowded it was.

“Ow! Are you insane–ugh!”

“Motherer!” Mark relentlessly twisted the guy’s limb, earning a yelp. “Who are you calling insane?”

“S-Stop it!”

Stop? He never stopped even when he knew how uncomfortable his victim was! 

The man was about to smack Mark using his other hand but he quickly dodged it, made one swift move and kicked him by the leg causing the creep to fall on his knees. Before he can find his footing once again, Mark strikes him hard on the shoulder and topped it off with a punch on the face and boom… dude’s sprawling on the floor, with a red face and a bleeding nose.

Mark grinned and put a foot over the guy’s chest while he looked down on him.

“Choose. Do you want me to cut your dirty hands off? Or your stinky off?”

“P-Please…”

“Please what?” He put more force to his foot making the guy cry in pain but Donghyuck on his side gripped him by the arm.

“Mark… s-stop it. It’s enough.” The boy’s whisper was too soft while his head hung low as he avoided people’s gaze. 

“It’s not enough.” He answered and turned his attention back to the creep, ignoring everyone’s whispers. “You ing dare use that dirty hand of yours again, I’ll ing kill you, do you understand?”

He received a nod.

“Excuse me? What’s happening here?!” Someone from the crowd came up and knelt by the creep’s side. “I’m a police officer.” He even held out his wallet for people to see his badge. He’s in civilian attire, must be off duty.

“He was touching someone inappropriately.” Mark answered, with this the other people gasped and the murmuring became louder. They started cursing the degenerate because of it.

“Touching? He’s touching you?”

“It’s—” Mark glanced at Donghyuck but the latter still looks greatly appalled with what happened. He isn’t used to seeing this kind of Lee Donghyuck–fragile, afraid, gaze lingers on the floor. “Yes, that bastard touched me.” He lied because it seems like Donghyuck won’t be comfortable with the attention.

Well, sometimes, it’s easier to admit to something you didn’t experience because you don’t have the feelings associated with it when it was happening—like shame or fear.

“Aha, I recognize you, you’re the notorious ert who often rides this subway! There’s been a lot of complaints about you.” The police officer said as he studied the lowlife’s face then he glanced back at Mark. “The subway was quiet for a few months but now, he’s started again.”

To say Mark was grossed out is an understatement. The bastard had done that multiple times? He put out his phone and focused it on the creep to capture some photos. His dad’s subordinates can handle him. 

“I’ll take him away to the next station.” The officer said as he pulled at the guy… at that exact moment, the train made a sound to announce they’re at the next stop. The guy received some more insults as he was being escorted out, an old lady even slapped him hard.

 

Once the commotion cooled down, he glanced back at Donghyuck who looked disturbed and restrained.

“Mark… oww!”

“You stand closer.” He demanded as he flicked the boy on the forehead. He pulled him closer to his spot and now, Donghyuck is facing him while his back is on other people. 

“Why didn’t you do something, huh? What would you do if no one noticed? Or if this happened again? Something like this may escalate, you know… and you owe it to yourself to fight… this isn’t like you Lee Donghyuck.” He reprimands, tone tainted with frustration, irritation, and even pity but the boy just avoided his eyes.

“I was surprised… and i-it was humiliating. P-People would know that I was being… touched.”

Mark sighed but tried to remain calm. “You don’t have to feel embarrassed… you did nothing wrong.” 

He holds onto the pole behind Donghyuck for balance, while his other arm is on the boy’s back. Whilst Donghyuck’s hands rested on his arm, the other hand clutching his shirt for support and comfort. It’s almost like Mark’s hugging him.

Well, Mark’s intention solely lies in trying to put a space be

Please log in to read the full chapter