Date To Busan

Back To Square One
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

“Mark hyung! Wake up!”

Jisung’s voice together with a light tap on the cheek pulled Mark back to reality, waking him up from his deep slumber

“Urgh—5 more minutes, Jisung!” He complained but instead of granting his request, the younger opened the curtain, letting the sun rays peek through the close windows to strike his face, waking him up. He was fast to pull the blanket above his head to take cover from the blinding light. 

Jisung just shook his head and pulled the blanket away from Mark who sat up, irritated. Why is Jisung up so early? Why can’t he be just like the other maknaes who wake up way way later than everyone else?

“Remind me again why I chose to live in an apartment with you and Jeno?”

“It’s because our dads said so… and also because deep down, you want to stay here.” Jisung replied sassily.

Mark scoffed. His dad can easily rent or even buy a condo for him alone yet when he came here in Seoul to attend school, he found out that he was to share an apartment with two other schoolmates of his. ‘At least you will have instant friends’ – That’s what his old man said.

The parents of the three are college friends but they don’t see each other very often, Jeno lives in Seoul but not in the same district as SM Academy while Jisung’s from another city, both of them used to rent a place near the school. When Mark’s dad told the parents of the two that his son will be attending the same school though, they made an agreement to put them in the same apartment.

Mark’s dad told him to try and see whether they will get along together and if they don’t, he can look for another place anytime… but they became his best friends.

“You really have to get ready now, hyung.”

“Okay, fine!” Mark flails his arms up as if surrendering. “I’ll get out of this bed… how about Jeno?”

The maknae shrugged. “Jeno hyung wakes up earlier than roosters.” 

Mark broods as he watches Jisung walk out of his room. He really hates waking up early in the morning, today’s Tuesday, means he will be waking up early for three days more!

After a minute of sulking like a child, Mark decided to finally start his daily routine but before everything, he took his phone from the bedside table to check if someone messaged him.

Indeed, there’s a few. Some are from his schoolmates but there’s one that made him snort as soon as he read the sender’s name. It was his dad.

The message reads "It's your mom's birthday today."  

For that, he hissed and rolled his eyes. It's not like his father should remind him. After all, he's the only one who never misses her mother's birthday every year.

“Don’t act as if you care.” He muttered, bitterness evident in his voice before putting the phone back on the table and headed for the bathroom. 

-s-e-i-m-a-r-i-

When the teacher said detention, Mark wanted to argue. It didn’t sound appealing since he already planned on going to Busan to celebrate his mom’s birthday but because it’s partly his fault, he couldn’t just ask the teacher to give him a chance. 

Well, he wasn’t going to detention anyway. Even though Professor Kim is kinda scary whenever he’s angry, Mark won’t just let this day pass without visiting his mom. He wasn’t going to attend the afternoon classes and will leave before lunchtime is over.

And talking about lunch, when Mark was about to order lunch in the cafeteria when he received a message from Jeno. The latter wasn’t with them yet since he was to pass something to the faculty room.

Jeno’s message went:

“Saw ugly rabbit sneaking inside the drama club. I concealed myself and saw him take some spray paints and give it to Donghyuck… seems suspicious.”

Mark hurriedly ran to the school parking lot as the first thing he pictured was Donghyuck using that to paint his motorbike. It was strange to have that kind of gut feeling but he likes to think it was premonition when he actually saw it with his own eyes.

Donghyuck was indeed doing what was on his mind!

“What the hell!” Mark cursed through gritted teeth as he watched his precious motorbike being severely damaged by that brat. “Damn it!”

Mark knew that if it was a different guy, he’d be walking into the scene as fast as he could to punch that guy right away. Straight to the face. Yet, why can’t he do it with Donghyuck? 

“It’s just because you know you go overboard too… stop ing overthinking.” He mumbled to himself, annoyed at the scary question that popped in his head.

What was even scarier was when he saw Class C’s Kim Mina, hiding in a corner, fishing out for her phone. Seems like she wanna capture the moment. Without thinking twice, he quickly walked up to her.

.

.

.

“Why are you with her, Mark hyung?” Jisung asked when Mina excused herself to the restroom. “You’re dating now?”

They ate lunch with Kang Mina and both of his friends looked very confused—not just them actually, even the whole student body. They seemed so shaken when he entered the cafeteria with Mina holding his hand. He never ate lunch with a girl before and everyone will certainly think they’re dating.

“Uhm… y-yeah. You could say that.”

His friends’ eyes went big as saucers.

“I thought you were following Donghyuck and that ugly rabbit, why do you suddenly have a girlfriend? And you never even told us that you like her.” Jeno’s tone was sulky.

Jisung nodded in agreement with Jeno. “A-And why do you like her anyway, Hyung?”

“Do you not like… Kang Mina?” He asked instead, not knowing what to say.

Jeno shrugs. “ I don’t have a problem if you date any other girl or boy for that matter but Kang Mina literally kicks students out just because she hates them. It would be hard to get along with her.” Then he sighed. “But, in the end it’s your choice. If you like the girl, we like the girl. Yet don’t expect me nor Jisung to agree with her on everything… I’m just saying, she’s hard to put up with but we’ll try for you.”

Jisung nods as Jeno speaks and Mark felt they were being genuine. He feels he has the best set of friends.

He scratched his nape and smiled a little. “Jeno, Jisung, it’s not like that… I’ll tell you about it later at home.”

 

By the time they finish eating, there’s about ten minutes left before the afternoon period starts. Mark needed to go before break was over as it was a rule that the school guards can’t let the students go outside during class hours, they will need permission from a teacher if ever. Yet Mina clings to him a lot.

Now, here he is, in the unfinished Science building, kissing Kim Mina. The girl literally pulled him here for this.

“Mmh… babe, you kiss so good!” Mina panted.

He smirked between their kisses. “I know.”

Well, making out with her wasn’t so bad after all. Mark admits it, he’s slightly . He deepened the kiss making the girl shiver in pleasure.

Moments passed, Mark was about to break the kiss because he really needed to go when something moved within his peripheral vision. He focused on that but not really looking straight at it. He makes out the figure of a boy…

Donghyuck?! , why is he watching?

He quickly moved away from Mina and fixed his shirt.

“One more kiss?” Mina cutely asked.  “Lucky charm before a test?”

“Y-You have to go back. You’re gonna be late.”

But Mina only giggled and pulled him in again, cupping his cheeks.

“Mina—”

“Wee woo, wee woo! One man down! One man down!”

Both of them jolted from their spot when they heard that yell, it was followed by retreating footsteps.

“Who was that?” Mina was both aghast and annoyed,

Mark scratched his temple, suppressing a smile. ‘Who else has that voice.’  

“I don’t know.” He pretended. “Could be a rat somewhere.” He shook his head and glanced at his wristwatch. “The bell is near. I’ll just see you later, okay?”

Mina smiled. “But can’t we head back to the building together?” she put her arms around his neck and leaned into his face. “You see, I want them to know, you’re mine.”

Those words sent shivers down his spine. “Uhh… well… I still need to talk to… someone…”

Mina rolled her eyes. “Sheez! Fine, I’ll let you be.”

Mark just nodded, Mina quickly pecked his lips and pinched his nose before walking away. On the other hand, he quickly ran and searched for Donghyuck, a good few minutes passed and he saw him walking out of a restroom.

Even before the guy could walk away, he already yanked him on his hand, turning the guy around to face him. He heard Donghyuck gasping while his eyes stared at him in shock.

“What do you think you’re doing, hmm?” Mark’s lips formed a cunning grin. “You deserve a punishment for invading my privacy.”

*RIIIING

“, that’s the bell. Let me go, Mark. I’ll be late.”

Ignoring his protest, Mark dragged him by the arm on the way to the Science building. He was careful not to attract the attention of some other students.

“What do you want?!” Donghyuck growled once they reached their destination. “The heck are we doing here, Mark?”

“You painted my motorbike pink—and then you invaded my privacy by watching me kiss my girlfriend! You have to be punished.” 

“G-Girlfriend? Mina is—your girlfriend?” 

Mark chose to ignore the sudden change in the other’s expression and the sudden dropping of his voice. “Yes, girlfriend. What’s the deal?” he asked.

“I didn’t know Kim Mina has such a bad taste with men.” 

“You sounded jealous.” Mark chuckled at his joke.

Donghyuck rolled his eyes and jerked his hand to free it from his grip. “Then you have a hearing defect! I suggest you go see a doctor.” 

Mark sighed. “Fine! You’re free.”

Donghyuck shot him another glare before walking away… but of course, Mark wouldn’t let him go so easily.

“In exchange for that, Na Jaemin, will pay for your poor excuse of revenge.”

When Donghyuck froze on his spot, Mark triumphantly smiled to himself. The other was still back-facing him but he knew Donghyuck won’t leave this time… how could he? His best friend would be dragged into this mess if he does. 

“Imagine, that rabbit will get reprimanded just because he pampers you too much. You are such a good friend!” He mocked and clicked his tongue. “I’m sure they’d hand his position to someone else. What kind of vice president would steal materials from their own club, huh?” He pushed further.

As soon as Donghyuck faced him, Mark knew… this day would end with his victory. Seeing the fuming boy; ears, red and eyes, sharp bring him amusement. It was always entertaining to see Lee Donghyuck like this.

“Just tell me what you ing want and stop dragging Jaemin into this!” The other said through gritted teeth.

Mark smiled, eyes shining with mischief. He walked around Donghyuck as if he was examining him. The latter on the other hand looks tensed and uncomfortable under his prying eyes. “I’m sure you would like my punishment.” His voice was sarcastic, making the other mutter a ‘pathetic jerk’ that caused him to smile wider. This kid acts tough all the time, it makes him want to annoy him more.

“I’ll forget about Jaemin’s offense, but you have to cut classes like what I’m about to do.”

 

Cut classes? Donghyuck doesn’t want to. He has good grades to maintain!

“No way!” He wanted to leave but can’t really find the courage to. He can’t just leave Jaemin to shoulder everything. He must do something but what?

“Why do you want to cut classes anyway?!” He snapped and crossed his arms, trying to look like he wasn’t defeated when the truth is he is. “And what do I have to do with you? It’s none of my business!” 

Mark shrugged. “Like my motorbike and me, kissing with my girlfriend, those weren’t your business. But since you love butting into my business so much, then why don’t we cut classes together, huh? Don’t you like it?”

“As if I would!”

Mark Lee’s lips formed a smile that made his blood boil. “Ye

Please log in to read the full chapter