Prologue - The Onset or War

Back To Square One
Please log in to read the full chapter

One year ago

“I don’t date losers like you.”

Donghyuck sighed for the nth time, his 2 years of unrequited love has to end now. He just confessed… but unfortunately, he was rejected. And not just rejected, he was even insulted!

Since he’s still in school, he tried his best to hold back his tears, to smile despite the pain and humiliation he’s feeling.

After the nerve-wracking confession, all he wanted was to go home, but there was some activity in the music club he had to attend. After it finished, he decided to wait for his Taeyong hyung who’s a member of the student council which is currently having an assembly.

*Oh maybe, maybe*

Donghyuck’s inner sentiments were interrupted when he heard his phone’s ringtone. The caller was his best friend.

“Haechan, finally! So how was it?”

His tears filled up the corner of his eyes just by hearing Jaemin’s voice. The latter sounded excited, contrary to his gloomy aura. He’s trying to stifle his sobs, afraid that the Student Council meeting will abruptly end and his Taeyong hyung will catch him crying.

“Jaemin… I feel stupid.” He cried. “I shouldn’t have—I shouldn’t have told him he—”

“He rejected you?!”

“Yes…” He sniveled. “Not just that. H-He even insulted me.”

“Worse than the way I do?”

Jaemin’s insulting jokes are waaay better because they never hurt him emotionally.

He bit his lip as he recalls how rude Mark Lee was, he even pushed him hard and told him to hate him because it will be the only way for them to have mutual feelings. He wondered why he was so mad at him—disgusted even, and even the way he looked at him during the confession, it was as if there was something else… a hidden reason why he hurt him the way he did.

Mark even had the guts to deliberately hit him by the shoulder as he walked away, pushing him aside.

“He said I should stick to my level and that he doesn’t date losers like me—”

“ overrated motherer.”

Donghyuck winced when his friend muttered a string of curses.

“What’s so good about him anyway?!” Jaemin groaned then it was followed by a long sigh, seems like he was trying to calm down. “Lee Donghyuck, do you want to hear a joke?”

He knows his friend just wants to cheer him up. “Okay.”

His friend giggled at the other line. “Knock, knock!”

He smiled, although his eyes are still teary. “Who’s there?”

“Haechan-ah!”

“Tss… what is it?”

Jaemin cleared his throat and went on singing.

“Haechan-ah naega hal mariI isseo

Haechan-ah, naega noereul joahae

Imankeum, imankeum, imankeum, imankeum

Naega neoreul joahae?”

It was the ever popular aegyo song, he changed ‘itjanha’ to ‘Haehan-ah’ and he couldn’t help but to laugh at how cringey it was.

“Yahhh, Jaemiiin! You’re so cringey… thank you.” He added, sincerely touched.

“You’re welcome cringe-er.” Jaemin laughed. “Now, cheer up. like him doesn’t deserve pretty boys like us anyway. We’ll get—huh?!” Jaemin made a surprise yelped. “Haechan, I just received a message from class B’s group chat, Mark’s doing some stupid .”

Stupid ? And wait, how does Jaemin have access to the other section’s group chat when both of them are in Class A?

“How are you even in their group chat?” He asked, genuinely confused. “What is he doing?”

“I have my ways…” He can hear how proud Jaemin was from the other line. “Anyway, you know that abandoned Science building at the back of the Student council room? He sent some photos to the GC, he was vandalizing.”

Donghyuck frowned. What?

“Class B had a bet, whoever lost the game was dared to make the principal upset… y’know, for the sake of laughs. They’re all laughing about it in the GC and the whole class swore to keep mum about it.”

While Class A consists of mostly girls, and only six boys, the other class is full of boisterous boys, with only few girls in the room. Class B is very chaotic and often the talk of the faculty room. In short, they are every professor’s nightmare and this explains why.

Please log in to read the full chapter