DaeFany: When I Was Your Man

Soshibang Songfics

 

Title:  When I Was Your Man

Artist:  Bruno Mars

Couple:  DaeFany

 


 

            Kang Daesung stared at himself in the mirror.  He looked like a completely different person.  His hair was no longer long and his face was freshly shaved.  He no longer smelled of seawater, and his clothes were finally clean.  He wanted to smile, but it was a little too hard.  He was no longer the bubbly man that everyone loved.  He couldn’t even remember the last time he genuinely laughed.  He buttoned up his shirt as he took a deep breath.

 

            He was stuck on an island for five whole years.  Everyone thought he was dead after the military found his jet on the ocean floor.  It was completely tarnished; the engine had burned out, the propeller was broken, and the interior was severely damaged.  There were times when he wanted to die like how people speculated, but one thing kept him going.  It was her.  Hwang Tiffany was the reason he wanted to live.  She was the reason he pushed on and on to escape the island and come home. 

            There were nights when he would dream of running home to her and sleeping with her in his arms, but they were only dreams.  It seemed to be something that was unreachable, but he didn’t care.  He just wanted to be with her again. 

            “Are you ready?” Young Bae asked.

            Daesung smiled at his dear friend as Young Bae patted his back.  Beside Young Bae were Seunghyun, Seungri, and Jiyong.  They were just happy that their dear friend was back in safety.  For the first few years, they had high hopes that Daesung alive.  Because the five of them were pilots, the other four would go searching for him, but because of the fear that they would end up like Daesung, their girlfriends made them stop.  Yuri, Yoona, Seohyun, and Jessica knew that their boyfriends meant well with good intentions, but the fear of them going to search for Daesung over rough waters scared them to death.

            “Are you sure that you haven’t seen Tiffany?” Daesung asked.

            Young Bae shook his head, “She stayed in Seoul two years after your accident, but after that, she just left.  She didn’t say anything to anyone.  She finally contacted Seohyun via e-mail last month, and Seohyun invited her to the wedding.  She said she would come back to Korea for Seohyun and Seungri’s wedding.”

            Daesung had always thought that Tiffany and he would marry first from the group.  Yuri and Young Bae were often too shy with each other, Seohyun and Seungri had opposing views about everything, Yoona and Seunghyun were both stubborn with each other, Jiyong and Jessica constantly argued, but Daesung and Tiffany were different.  They were perfect for each other.  They were the couple that argued the least.

            It was a bit ironic that Jiyong, Seunghyun, and Young Bae already had wives before Daesung.  It was even more surprising that Seungri was on his way to become a husband, and Daesung was still unmarried.

            “I just can’t wait to see her,” Daesung grinned happily.

__________________________

            “I’m just afraid that he’s going to get hurt,” Yoona said as she bit into her burger. 

            Seohyun, Seungri, Yoona, and Seunghyun were enjoying a delightful lunch together.  It was the final day before Seohyun and Seungri’s wedding, and they were discussing the issue about Tiffany.  Tiffany’s plane didn’t come in until the morning of the wedding, and luckily, the wedding was an evening event.

            As Daesung’s cousin, Yoona was very protective over him.  She knew how much he loved Tiffany, and she was afraid that things might not go his way.  Five years was a long time, and within that time range, things could have changed drastically.

            “Yeobo, stop worrying,” Seunghyun soothed her, “I bet that Tiffany knows that Daesung had been rescued, and that’s why she’s so eager to go to Seohyun and Seungri’s wedding.”

            Seohyun worried, “What if Tiffany doesn’t feel the same way?”

            “Why are you girls so negative?” Seungri frowned.

            “I just don’t want oppa to get hurt!” Seohyun claimed.

            Daesung walked into the room to notice the argument heating up between the men and women.  He leaned against the doorway and nervously swallowed.  He knew that Tiffany might have changed, but he loved her and she loved him.  She was not going to change because their love was too powerful.

            “I have trust that Tiffany is going to be the same woman I fell in love with,” Daesung finally spoke, “We will be happy again.”

            The four froze in their seats before turning to see Daesung.  He had an uneasy look on his face, but he was trying to be confident.  Tiffany was the reason why he was still living, and he wanted to believe that nothing was going to go wrong.

            “We know,” Seunghyun gave a hopeful smile, “Everything’s going to be like how it was five years ago.”

            Daesung nodded and then walked back to his bedroom.  His last memory with Tiffany before he was caught in the storm still lingered in his mind.  It was the memory that he had replayed every single night he spent alone on that lonely island.  He only wished that it had gone a different way.  He wished that he had given in to her requests.

           

~~~

            It was a company party where all the pilots and staff took their wives or girlfriends to celebrate the company’s anniversary date.  Daesung took a drink of his wine as Tiffany sat next to him with a smile on her face.  She suddenly took his hand and interlocked his fingers with hers.  The smile on her face grew larger as her eye smile became more apparent.

            “Oppa, you need to hold my hand.  You’re my boyfriend remember?  We’ve been together for almost two years!” Tiffany scolded.

            Daesung replied, “Fany ah, we don’t need to hold hands to be a couple.  All what matters is that I love you and you love me.  All that skinship is not really needed.  Giving flowers, chocolates, and all those other things are just overrated.”

            “Well, I want it,” Tiffany rolled her eyes.

            Her eyes then fluttered towards the dance floor.  She was extremely jealous of the couples on the dance floor.  The live band was playing a slow song as several couples began to sway together slowly.  She was jealous of Young Bae and Yuri.  They were always so shy with each other, but their bodies were so close as Yuri leaned her head on Young Bae’s shoulder.  She was jealous of Seungri and Seohyun.  They may have been opposites, but stared at each other as if their hearts were linked as one.  She was jealous of Seunghyun and Yoona.  He always claimed that he hated dancing, but he did it anyways for her.  Just by looking at them, Tiffany knew that they were soulmates.  She was jealous of Jiyong and Jessica.  They gazed into each other’s eyes as if they were a part of each other.

            “Yah, what are you doing?” Daesung asked, “I ordered this cake for you so that you wouldn’t be looking at the couples dancing.  I don’t want to dance.  Don’t try to convince me.  I know you’re going to try to make me feel bad.”

            Tiffany pouted out her lips, “I always want to dance, but you never want to dance with me.”

            “It’s not that I don’t know how to dance,” Daesung laughed, “It’s just that I don’t want you to embarrass yourself.  You dance with two left feet, Fany ah.”

            Tiffany glared at him and slapped his arm.  She knew she wasn’t the best dancer, but he didn’t have to rub it in her face every single chance he got.  She crossed her arms against her chest and faced away from him.  He chuckled and wrapped his arms around her from behind.  He brought his lips to ear.

            “Okay, you may not have the grace of a swan in dancing, but you do have the voice of an angel,” Daesung whispered.

            “I’m still mad,” Tiffany mumbled. 

            She turned around with a frown as she stared into his eyes.  He had to be the most unromantic guy she knew, but she was in love with him.  He was romantic in his own unique way. 

            “How about this?” he asked, “I’ll take you out dancing when I come back from my test flight tomorrow.  I’ll dance with you all night.”

            He was extremely excited because the company was allowing him to take the newest jet on a test flight.  It was going to be his first solo flight in three months.

            “Do you promise?” Tiffany asked in delight.

            “Yes, I do,” he grinned, “And I’ll seal it with a kiss!”

            He brought her lips closer to hers and at that moment, he felt as if time was not moving.  He was with the person he loved the most, and nothing could go wrong.  When he returned from his test flight, he planned on popping the question to her.  He refused to dance with her during the company party because he wanted his dance with her during the day of the proposal to be extra special.  All he wanted was for her to become his wife.

_________________

            The wedding reception had just started, and to Daesung’s disappointment, he did not see Tiffany during the wedding ceremony.  With a glass of punch in his hand, he greeted those who approached him claiming that they were glad that he was finally safe at home.  With one hand in his pocket, he began to scan the crowd, but he didn’t see her.

            “Oppa,” Seohyun patted his shoulder.

            Daesung looked to his side to see the beautiful bride.  She had a white dress that complimented her pale skin.  She had a hopeful smile on her face and then pressed her lips together.

            “Tiffany had just arrived, and I wanted to tell you,” Seohyun informed him, “Her flight was really late.”

            Daesung shook his head with understanding, and he was about to leave to find the woman of his dreams.  Before he could leave, Seohyun grabbed his arm and then gave him a warm hug.

            “Thank you, oppa,” Seohyun sniffled, “You set me and Seungri up.  Thank you so much.  I hope that you and Tiffany have the happy ending that Seungri and I were blessed with.”

            “Thanks, Seo,” Daesung said with a hopeful smile as he left the bride after he kissed her on the cheek.

            Time seemed as if it ceased to exist as his eyes moved towards the woman that he had been yearning for the past five years.  She was wearing a dark brown dress, and she had just finished greeting her old friends.  She was about to make her way towards the refreshments until she saw him.  The smile on her face immediately faded as he walked up to her with excitement.

            Like always, he was so handsome.  He did look a bit older, but he looked as if he had bloomed over the few years.  This was the first time she had seen him since that accident. 

            “Y-You’re alive?” Tiffany voice broke.

            “Yes, and you were the reason why I didn’t give up.  Fany ah, do you want to dance?” he asked.

            He held his hand out to her, and he noticed that she was a bit hesitant.  Her fingers began to tremble as she took his hand.  It felt as if her knees were wobbling because of the fact that she had found out that he was alive.  He was alive.  Her prayers had been answered.

            He led her to the dance floor as they slowly danced and mixed in with the other couples. 

            “I knew I had to see your beautiful face again,” he whispered.

            Tiffany’s lips quivered, “Where were you?”

            “I was stuck on a remote island for five years, but I survived.  I wanted to survive for you,” Daesung stated, “I’m home because of my love for you.  Where were you?”

            “I went back to America,” Tiffany said in a murmur.

            “Dae,” Tiffany held in her tears, “There is something that I want to tell you.”

            Before Tiffany could tell him what she wanted to say, a third party interrupted them.  A man had cut in between them, but he did so in a way that was no way near rude.  He had a gentle smile on his face as he courteously bowed at Daesung.

            “Hello, my name is Nichkhun,” he introduced himself, “How’s my wife’s dancing?”

            Daesung felt every single muscle in his body freeze.  Tiffany looked down at the floor as Nichkhun continued to talk.

            “When we started dating, her dancing was a bit off par, but after dancing with her over the years as a couple, she finally caught on and got better,” Nichkhun laughed.

            “Khun, I need to talk to Daesung in private,” Tiffany forced a smile, “We’re old friends, and we haven’t seen each other in years.”

            Nichkhun nodded with understanding, “Go on ahead.  Just hurry it up a bit because the nanny called me earlier and she said our son is getting a bit fussy.”

            After finally gaining the privacy that he needed with her, they finally began to speak.  They were on a balcony that overlooked a beautiful, clear lake.  The night was starry and cool.  Tiffany rubbed her arms with her hands as she nervously her lips.

            “Dae, I’m glad you’re home,” Tiffany finally said, “I’m glad that you’re safe now.”

            Daesung swallowed, “Yeah, me too.”

            The awkwardness rose as they two avoided eye contact with each other.  Tiffany was trying so hard to hold in the tears, but she was unsuccessful.  The man that she had fallen in love with was right in front of her, but she could not kiss him no matter how much she wanted to.  She was now a wife and mother. 

            “So you have a son?” he asked.

            “Yes,” Tiffany’s tears continued to fall, “His name is James.  He’s two now.”

            Without another word, Tiffany ran up to Daesung and hugged him tightly.  With her chin on the crook of his neck, her tears began to spill as she let out a sob.  She loved him, she wanted him, and wished for him, but the fates did not allow them to be together.

            “I love you,” Tiffany began to cry as she enjoyed every single second of that embrace, “I knew that you would come back one day.  Are you angry with me?”

            He shook his head, “No, you did want I would have wanted you to do if you thought I had passed away.  You moved on and started your own family.”

            “I’m sorry,” Tiffany choked, “I’m sorry.  I should have waited for you.  My life is so complicated now.  I love my husband, but I love you more.  I sound like a horrid person.  I have a son, and I know I should put him before anyone else.”

            Daesung broke away from the embrace as he gently lifted her chin with his hand.  Tears continued to stream down her face as she stared at the man that she had always loved.

            “You’re life isn’t so bad,” Daesung said.

            It took all of his courage and strength to say those words.  He knew that he had to let her go.  Even though the both of them loved each other, Tiffany was now committed to a new man and her new family.  Daesung didn’t want to take that away from her.  Nichkhun seemed to be a man that could make her happy.  He danced with her, bought her flowers, and showed affection.  He was everything that Daesung wasn’t.

            “You finally have what you wanted,” Daesung said with a hopeful smile.

            Tears finally escaped his eyes as he bent down slowly and kissed her forehead. 

            “Now you’re finally dancing,” he told her as he let go of her hand.

            But she was dancing with another man. 


Author's Note:  I know that I had been shipping DaeSoo for so many years now, but I can't help but think that DaeFany is cute too!  DaeFany is starting to climb up my favorite pairing list! 

I also wanted to try something more angsty, so I am very sorry for the sad ending.