YulYang: Someone Like You

Soshibang Songfics

 

Song:  Someone Like You

Artist:  Adele

Couple:  YulYang (Taeyang and Yuri)



 

            Yuri’s eyes narrowed as she carefully applied the decorations on the large cake.  She was used to making three-layer cakes, but her client wanted a four-layer cake.  She had been making cakes and other pastries for more than three years so it was relatively easy for her.  Her assistant, Sunny, patted her shoulder and caught her attention. 

            “Are you almost done?  We need to have it done in four hours,” Sunny informed her, “The wedding ceremony is going to start soon and we need to have the cake in the reception area before the ceremony ends.”

            Yuri nodded, “Yeah, I just need touchups and I’m done.  I’ll probably be done within thirty minutes.”

            Yuri cleared and resumed to placing the decorations on the cake.  She took the two cake toppers and set it on the top of the cake.  Two little figurines of a bride and groom proudly stood over the cake.  She frowned as she continued to adjust the position of the cake toppers. 

            Sunny knew that what she was feeling.  She hugged Yuri to give her a sense of comfort.  Everyone Yuri knew was married.  Her younger sisters, Seohyun and Yoona were already married.  She was the only one that was single.  She really never got over her first love.

            “Don’t feel down,” Sunny muttered.

            “I’m not,” Yuri tried to laugh.

            Yuri then realized that there was something on the cake missing.  The client has requested to put the groom and bride’s initials on the cake.  She sighed in relief that she had remembered. 

            “Sunny, do you know the groom and bride’s name?  You should check the paper they filled out,” Yuri suggested.

Sunny nervously swallowed, “I was going to tell you that.  I already checked a few hours ago.”

            “Okay, what are their names?  I need to have their initials on the cake,” Yuri said as she rubbed her hands on her apron.

            Sunny was a bit hesitant.  She looked at her dear friend and knew that she was successful in life.  The only thing was that she was lonely.  She had money, looks, and a good reputation, but she felt completely empty.  Sunny took Yuri’s hand and held it.  Sunny her lips nervously and then cleared .

            “The bride’s name is Min Sunye,” Sunny informed her.

            She was a bit cautious as to why Sunny was holding her hand.  She tilted her head and realized that Min Sunye was a famous entertainer.  She was a famous singer and dancer.  She was a bit dumbfounded to know that she had made a cake for a celebrity.

            “What’s the groom’s name?” Yuri asked.

            Sunny took a deep breath, “His name is…Dong Youngbae.”

            Yuri dropped the bowl of frosting she had in her other hand.  The glass bowl hit the floor and it shattered into little pieces.  Yuri frantically reached down to pick up the glass.  Sunny pulled her back up to see that she was holding in the tears that she had saved for this event.

            Yuri breathed, “It’s okay.  I knew this day was going to come.”

__________________________________

            Sunny and another staff member, Tiffany, were beginning to prepare the cake for the delivery.  Yuri untied her apron and hung it over a hook in the kitchen.  He was getting married.  Her first love was going to get married, and she had made his wedding cake for him.  She closed her eyes as memories flooded her mind and heart.

____________________________

            “What’s this?” Yuri asked.

            “It’s a ring,” he pointed out.

            Yuri exclaimed, “I know it’s a ring!  Why are you giving me a ring?”

            Yuri held a silver ring in her palm as her boyfriend gave her a loving smile.  He kissed the top of her head and then wrapped his arms around her.  He took the ring from her palm and then put it on her finger.  Yuri smiled brightly and giggled as he listened to her laughter.

            “It’s a reminder that I’ll always love you,” he told her, “One day, you’ll become my wife.  You’re the only one I’ll love.”

            Yuri tilted her head, “You promise?”

            “I promise,” he confirmed after he kissed her forehead.

____________________________

            “Stay away from my son!” the woman hissed, “You don’t deserve a man like him!”

            Youngbae’s mother was completely intimidating and terrifying.  She looked at Yuri with wild eyes as Yuri shrunk down.  She held her tears in as his mother continued to stare at her.

            “I-I’m sorry,” Yuri managed to say.

            “If you really care about him, you’d leave him alone,” the bitter woman snapped, “He has so much potential and he can’t have some poor beggar like you weighing him down! If you stay with him, you’ll take away his future.  You’ll take away everything from him!  How much money do you want to leave him?  I’ll give you 50,000,000 won if you stay away from him.  I’m sure that’s enough for a cheap woman like you, right?”

            Yuri’s tears began to pour out of her eyes as she covered her face.  She didn’t want to leave him, but she knew that she was weighing him down.  He was supposed to study in New York, but he refused the offer because he wanted to stay with Yuri.  Her heart began to feel heavy as she continued to sob.

            “I don’t want the money,” Yuri cried, “I’ll do what you want because I love him.”

____________________________

            “Oppa, let’s break up,” Yuri finally said.

            Youngbae looked at her with confusion and denial.  He began to laugh as he pulled her into a hug.  She had to be kidding.  It was just a cruel joke.  Yuri reluctantly pulled away from his embrace and did her best to show a dispassionate expression.

            “I’m not kidding,” Yuri confirmed.

            “Yuri ah, stop it!” he yelled.

            She shook her head, “I’m not kidding!  Why can’t you understand that I don’t want to be with you anymore?  You should be in New York.  Don’t stay with me.”

            He tried to hug her again, but she took a step back.  With a hurtful expression on his face, he saw his world crashing down. 

            “Is it my mother?  Did she put you up to this?” Youngbae cried out, “I won’t leave you!  She can’t stop me from being with you.  Let’s get married right now. She won’t be able to do anything about that!”

            Yuri saw her world crashing, too.  If he married her, he would be disowned.  His parents would take away everything—his car, his money, and his chance to finish college.  He would suffer if he was with her.

            “Stop it!” Yuri shouted, “I don’t want to get married to you!  Your mother was not up to this!  I just—I just don’t want to be with you anymore!  I’m better off being single!”

            “No, you’re not!” he shook his head.

            “Yes, I am!  You smother me!” Yuri shrieked, “I don’t love you!  I can’t be with someone that I don’t love.”

            He finally had enough when she claimed that she didn’t love him.  Was it a lie?  Of course it was.  Yuri loved this man unconditionally.  She loved him so much that she was willing to leave him if it meant a better life for him.  She watched the man of her dreams walk away from her as he wiped away the tears that she had caused.

_________________________

            Yuri had changed out of her chef uniform to a simple white dress and a pair of black pumps.  She couldn’t believe that she had to deliver the cake.  Tiffany parked the vehicle to the side as Sunny gave her a hopeful smile.

            “Can I just stay in the car?” Yuri trembled.

            Tiffany shook her head, “You can’t.  It’s unprofessional because you’re supposed to deliver the cake yourself.”

            Yuri understood.  She was just being unreasonable.  Yuri nervously her lips as she stepped out of the vehicle.  Tiffany and Sunny began to carry the cake together as Yuri led the way into the large wedding tent.  She entered the tent to see that the groom, the best man, and the groomsmen were waiting there for the ceremony to begin.

            “Hello, my name is Kwon Yuri.  These are my assistants, Lee Sunny and Hwang Tiffany,” Yuri avoided eye contact with any of them, “We have come to deliver the cake.”

            With the help of two of the groomsmen, Sunny and Tiffany had carefully set the wedding cake on a large table.  Yuri took a deep breath as she looked down on the floor.

            “We’ll be going now,” she bowed.

            “Yuri, how can you act like a complete stranger?” someone asked, “Don’t forget that we know each other.”

            Yuri reluctantly looked up to see a familiar face.  With a weak smile on her face, she shyly waved.

            “It’s a pleasure to see you again Lee Seungri,” Yuri bowed, “It’s been a while.  It’s great to see you guys, too—Kang Daesung, Choi Seunghyun, Kwon Jiyong, and Jang Hyunseung.  I hope you guys are doing well.”

            “How about me?” someone called out.

            Yuri closed her eyes tightly and began to take a few deep breaths.  She missed that angelic voice.  She nervously swallowed and forced a smile on her face. He was wearing a black tuxedo.  He still looked as handsome as ever.

            Seunghyun coughed, “Uh, we would like to show you the garden outside.”

            Seunghyun beckoned for the groomsmen to follow him as Daesung and Hyunseung led Tiffany and Sunny to the exit.  Yuri nervously bit her lip and was going to follow them, but she felt his hands grab onto her wrist.

            Everyone except the two of them exited.  She was finally alone with him again.

            “It’s been a while, hasn’t it, Yul?” he smiled.

            Yuri shook, “Yes, Youngbae sshi.  It’s been a while.”

            “I didn’t know that you became a pastry chef,” he uttered.

            He didn’t do this on purpose then.  He didn’t hire her on purpose to rub it in her face that he was getting married.  Then again, he was never the type that would do that.  He was still modest and kind.

            “I went to college a few years ago and took a few culinary courses.  I loved it, so I pursued a career as a pastry chef,” Yuri timidly explained.

            He changed the subject, “What happened to us?”

            “We grew apart,” Yuri answered.

            “Are you sure?” he asked.

            Yuri nodded, “Yes, we were too different from each other.   You’re rich, smart, and perfect.  I wasn’t compatible with your world.”

            “You were my world—at least when we were together, you were,” he corrected himself.

            Yuri felt her weaknesses growing.  She was his world—only if she knew a few years ago.  She inhaled a breath of air as a tear managed to escape from her left eye.

            “I wish you complete happiness,” Yuri bowed, “I know that you two will be happy together.  You two deserve each other.”

            Yuri turned around and made her way out of the tent.  Youngbae followed her, but she ignored his calls for her.

            “Yuri ah, stop it!” he pleaded, “Yuri!  I want to speak to you!”

            Tiffany and Sunny followed their friend to see her running out of the tent.  Yuri entered her company van as Tiffany took the wheel.  Sunny settled in the backseat as Yuri covered her face as she sat in the front seat.  Youngbae sighed as he saw the van drive away.  His groomsmen stared at him knowing what had happened.

            Silence ensued the three friends for about five minutes.  Tiffany sighed and took initiative to speak first.

            “What happened?” Tiffany interrogated.

            “He asked me what happened to us.  I remembered everything and it feels as if it’s still the first day we were apart,” Yuri sobbed.

            Sunny frowned, “Don’t worry.  There are plenty of fish in the ocean.  You’ll meet someone better.”

            Yuri kept silent as she stared out the window.  He was going to marry Sunye, and they were going to be happy together.  They were going to move into a big home together and have children.  They were going to raise a family together.

            Yuri didn’t want someone better than him because to her, he was already the best.  She closed her eyes as she pressed her folded hands to her forehead.  She had to look at the bright side.  He had reached his dreams.  He had a better life.  He was better off without her. 

            “No, I need someone like him,” Yuri whispered.

            She clutched the silver ring in her hand.  It was around a silver chain that hung around her neck.  She had it hidden under her dress.  It became a good luck charm for her for three years.  She fiddled with it as the tears continued to stream down her face.

  She wanted someone like him, but she knew it was impossible.  He was one of a kind.  In her eyes, there was no one that could ever match up to him.



 

A/N:  Omg, my first one-shot with a sad ending!  I'm sorry for the Yulyang shippers out there.  I was planning on having him canceling the wedding to be with her in the end, but in the song, they don't end up together.  I hope that you guys liked it though!