Chapter 4

After Shool || Weeekly
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Zoa’s alarm goes off just a couple of minutes after Soojin’s does. The girl extends her arms upwards, smiling happily to herself, her eyes still half closed as she takes a couple of seconds to fully wake up. She likes the fluffiness of her bed ⏤even though it’s surely not as fluffy as her bed back in her hometown⏤ and sometimes she feels like she could stay in bed all day. But then she opens her eyes immediately, remembering that it’s a Monday morning as she immediately gets excited ⏤honestly no matter what day it would be she would still get happy to wake up and do things with her friends. She hops off the bed and checks at the time on her phone, glad that she still has time to get ready. 

She glances over at Soojin’s bed, the girl having just sat up and stretching her arms upwards, yawning in the process. 

“What got you so excited on a Monday morning?” Soojin asks her, knowing well enough like every other decent human being out there that Mondays are hard to cope up with, especially if you partied until late at night the night before… which is their case by the way. 

“Nothing. It’s just Monday which means a new week filled with classes and new things for me to learn has started!” Soojin laughs mutely, her eyes still half closed as she’s too sleepy, realizing one thing; it’s still too early for Zoa to get down to earth and realize that there’s nothing interesting about college so she is going to have that hyperism within her system for quite a while. Unlike Soojin who feels more and more tired as the days pass by and college has just started for this year… 

“Well I hope Monday can make my own Monday morning because I feel so restless and that’s obviously her fault for keeping us until very late at the party last night.” Soojin says as she stands up and heads towards their mini counter, hoping for some caffeine boost in order to wake herself up a little. Zoa giggles softly at her unnie’s comment before she rushes inside the bathroom to start her morning routine. 

After half an hour of preparations later and countless of groans, sights and grumbles, Soojin and Zoa finally walk out of their dorm room. Zoa stops in front of Jaehee and Jihan’s dorm room before Soojin turns to look at her confused. 

“Uhm, the cafeteria is that way, forgot it already?” She tries to remind to the taller girl who shakes her head with a bright smile saying,

“I know unnie. I’m just calling Jaehee unnie and Jihan unnie to join us too.” Soojin turns towards the girl’s direction, frowning slightly, wondering since when Zoa has become this attached to their friends. They were supposed to be their friends and Zoa only knows them for two weeks so why is she so obsessed with them already? It’s not like she minds or it bothers her or anything but sometimes she wonders why do they have to include everyone in their plans. They’re roommates so they can just go pick up breakfast together, why bother and drag Jaehee and Jihan too? And if Monday and Soeun were living at the dorms Zoa would surely drag them along too. Soojin just wants the girl to understand that not everyone can always be available and sometimes instead of group hang outs she could enjoy other combinations among her friends in their hangouts. 

She doesn’t get the chance to talk to Zoa though as the girl is already knocking by Jaehee and Jihan’s door. 

“Hey, Zoa.” Jaehee greets the taller girl as she opens the door before she says immediately,

“If you’re looking for Jihan she’s-”

“Actually I just passed by to inform you that me and Soojin are going to grab some breakfast first before heading to our classes. You guys wanna join?” 

“Oh! Uh…” Jaehee scratches the top of her head before she turns to look at Jihan. 

“Do we join them? Or are we running late?”

“Of course we join them!” Jihan’s bright voice is heard from somewhere inside the room and Zoa almost tip toes to her left side in order to have a better look of the inside of the girl’s room and maybe catch a glimpse of Jihan too. 

Jihan then hops off to Jaehee’s side, slinging her backpack over her shoulders before her eyes land on Zoa’s tall frame and smiles at the girl. 

“Hey!” She greets the girl brightly, the color in her voice totally different and sweeter than it was when she spoke to Jaehee seconds ago. Zoa smiles brightly back at her, her smile almost reaching her ears as her face and eyes light up at the sight of Jihan. 

“Hi unnie!” She greets her happily. 

“Yeah hi, hello, good morning whatever! Let’s just go grab breakfast, I’m hungry.” Jaehee says, cutting off their little soft moment before she drags Jihan out of their room who laughs at Jaehee’s antics and so the four of them head to the campus’ cafeteria. 

“Hey why didn’t you text me you’re coming to get breakfast here!?” Jaehee grumbles once she spots Monday and Soeun sitting at one of the cafeteria’s tables. Monday raises an eyebrow a little caught off guard before her eyes widen in realization. 

“Damn it! I totally forgot it! I’m so sorry! Damn my phone died like half an hour ago and it’s still not fully charged.”

“What a lame excuse.” Jaehee says, still frowning. Zoa looks at the two slightly confused, wondering what she’s missed before Soojin pats her on the shoulder saying,


“Let’s go get our trays of food?” and the younger nods at that. 

“It’s the truth though! Look!” Monday from behind them keeps trying to defend herself as she shows her phone battery to the blonde who pouts before she mumbles,

“I was waiting for your text idiot!” 

Meanwhile Soojin, Jihan and Zoa are standing in line to get their own tray of food before Jaehee joins them shortly after she’s done arguing with Monday. As soon as Zoa takes her own tray of food and turns around to head back to the table Soeun and MOnday are sitting at she sees Jiwoo waving at her from way further at another table sitting with some of their classmates. 

“I’ll stop by to say hi.” She informs Soojin who tells her,

“It’s ok if you want to have breakfast with them.” to which Zoa replies with a nod of her head before she walks up to Jiwoo’s table. 

“Hey! I wasn’t expecting you to come have breakfast here when you literally live 20 minutes away.” Zoa greets her friend. 

“I thought I should try it once. Also shot my chance to have breakfast with you but I guess you’re too busy with your eonnideul.” Zoa looks towards them, not really being able to choose whether she wants to sit with Jiwoo and their classmates or with her eonnideul. 

“Hey I was just joking. Don’t take this too seriously. Just go have breakfast with them. I know how much you love them, it’s ok.”

“Are you sure?” Zoa asks, scratching the back of her head a little shyly to which Jiwoo replies with a nod of her head, smiling brightly at her friend. 

“Yeah. After all, I'll meet you in a while in class. Except if you want to skip.”

“I don’t skip classes.” Zoa replies simply and Jiwoo nods her head. 

“Then I’ll see you then. Now go! Your moms are waiting for you!” Jiwoo says, kicking Zoa’s legs with her feet. The girl groans in pain before she glares at her friend saying,

“They’re not my moms!”

“Sure thing Zo~” Zoa shakes her head before she sticks out her tongue to her friend and leaves her table with a playful giggle. Meanwhile Jiwoo just sighs behind her. Zoa is just so elusive and it’s only their second week at college officially. She’s friends with Monday and Soeun who are popular for their dancing skills and troublesome characters while she’s friends and lives with Soojin who’s the students’ council’s president and now she’s even part of the basketball team and is already gaining lots of attention for her amazing skills at that sport. She’s gaining popularity and attention too fast and Jiwoo feels like it’s too hard to reach her friend anymore… 

“Jaehee and I found a good place that could be our hideout last night.” Monday announces once Zoa is back on their table and sits down next to Jihan. 

“Really? That’s all you were thinking and looking at while making out with her last night?” Soeun teases her friend.

“Cut the crap if you don’t want me to expose your wild activities last night either.” Monday says with a smirk. Soojin exclaims in shock while Jaehee looks at them, not surprised by their bickering. Jihan just laughs and Zoa looks at them puzzled as to why they could take jokes that far then again it’s Soeun and Monday and they tend to do such things a lot.

Before Monday can tell them more about the hideout however a bunch of boys walk towards them and Monday can only sigh annoyed at how they get to get fans this early in the college year. They’re all from the football team as Jihan informs Zoa who asks her in a whisper ⏤except Younghoon who’s just best friends with them⏤ and they used to flirt with Jaehee the precious year before finally getting rejected by the girl. Jaehee liked the attention she was receiving last year until it got a little too much so she had to reject them at some point in order to find her peace of mind but it looks like they’re not backing up that quickly.

“Hey girls. Can we sit with you?” A red haired guy named Juyeon who has been the main guy flirting with Jaehee the previous year says though Younghoon is already sitting down on their table anyway. 

“If you’re here for Jaehee then just take your leave already she’s told you she’s not interested last year.” Monday says firmly immediately, not liking their cockiness to the slightest, their disgusting confidence making her want to vomit. 

“Last year. Maybe this year she’s changed her mind.” Juyeon says before he smirks at Jaehee and winks at her. The girl parts her lips, looking slightly troubled as she’s about to turn down his offer but he cuts her off before she’s even able to speak by chuckling and shaking his head.

“But even if she had, I’m not into her now anyway.” He says as he looks at Monday, totally enjoying making Jaehee look like a fool even if the girl hasn’t uttered a word. 

“This cutie however…” He mumbles before his eyes land on Zoa and the girl fiddles with her fingers nervously, gulping hard. Right now, to her, Juyeon doesn’t look charming at all even though ⏤according to Jihan⏤ he’s one of the most charming guys around college. Even if he’s forming his most charming smile on, and even if he’s really handsome and mature looking. To Zoa, he looks like a predator, like a bully, trying to make her as much uncomfortable as possible. 

“Seriously? The log out of all girls in this college, Juyeon ah? She’s not even attractive!” Younghoon can’t help but grumble so to the girls it looks less suspicious for Juyeon to like Zoa or else they would surely know he’s Younghoon’s pawn in order to humiliate Zoa and hurt her. 

“You have to be blind, man. She’s drop dead gorgeous.” He comments, his eyes never leaving Zoa’s as he his lips, literally looking like a hungry predator. Zoa gulps hard, staring at him in fear before Soeun comes to her rescue.

“She’s drop dead gorgeous but she’s not interested. Whoops! How bad! Isn’t it? What are you gonna do now? Cry to your mommy?” Juyeon laughs before he scoffs. 

“I think we should let her decide that for herself, shouldn’t we? Why does she need a lawyer? Can’t she talk for herself?” Soojin gulps hard, trying her hardest to think of civil ways to make him leave, knowing very well by her younger friend’s expressions but overall the girl’s background in love and boyfriends that Zoa is terrified out of her mind right now. 

“Uhm, I think-” She tries to say but Jihan is faster as she nudges Zoa out of her own zone of fear that she’s entered saying,

“Hey! It’s almost time for your first class. Hurry up!” And picks the girl’s backpack from her chair, handing it to Zoa who looks at her still in a daze but slings it over her shoulders anyway. Jihan quickly hands her a juice in order for the girl to at least have that as her breakfast since she barely had time to eat anything before she turns to look at the guys by their table saying,

“Uhm thank you for your offer uh… what was your name again?” 

“Juyeon.” He says, glaring at her as if she made the most ridiculous question out there.

“Yeah that, whatever. Either way, we thank you for your offer, but this chick over here you’re so into right now has to catch up with her classes. And once she’s done she has to grab lunch with her friends and if there’s any free time for her left by the end of the day she might consider your offer among the countless others she’s receiving from her fans these couple of days. You see, they don’t call her a champion without a reason!” Jihan says, faking her kindness and charming smile before she waves goodbye at their friends and pushes Zoa out of the cafeteria, the both of them heading towards the girl’s class. 

“You heard her. Now get lost! You’re dirtying our table with your dirty minded and unwanted presence!” Monday yells at him, totally not wanting him on their table any longer. He scoffs and leaves the the table, defeated and humiliated as everyone had their eyes on them anyway. 

Meanwhile Zoa is walking on the hallway a little confused of what has just happened turning to look at Jihan by saying,

“I still have half an hour before my first class though.” Jihan stares at her hard before she says,

“I know. But I couldn’t let him around you any longer. He was making you uncomfortable and we could all sense that.” Zoa nods her head slowly, totally agreeing with Jihan’s words. 

“Am I going to be in trouble?” She asks Jihan then who sighs heavily. 

“No. As long as you stay by our side you’re not. But he’s going to bug you for a while until he gets the message that you’re not into him. Just make sure you have enough courage next time to tell him that right on his face. Then he might leave you alone sooner than expected.” 

“Oh.” Zoa lets out and hangs her head low, not feeling that happy to drag unwanted attention out of nowhere so suddenly.

“What did I even do to get his attention, unnie? I didn’t even know him until seconds earlier!” Jihan sighs a little. 

“I believe Younghoon has to do with this so he might not let go of you that easily.” Zoa pouts, before she sighs frustrated. 

“I’m not interested in dating though! Why does it look like everyone wants me to do such thing? I’m getting questions about it a lot lately and it’s annoying!” Jihan is slightly surprised by the girl’s sudden outburst but she can’t really blame her. The girl has gone through a lot the past few days. 

“I don’t know. But just to assure you, you obviously don’t have to rush yourself and start dating if you don’t want to. I’m doing the same thing too and I don’t feel like I’m missing out on anything.” Zoa nods her head slowly, feeling a little relieved that someone else out there has the exact same mindset as she does. 

“Thank you for saving me again. You’re like a heroine.” Jihan laughs at that before she stops on her feet, caressing the top of Zoa’s head softly even though the girl is taller than her and she has to raise her hand higher than her own head in order to reach Zoa’s. 

“Aren’t you exaggerating now?”

“No unnie. Listen, you do feel like a heroine. You popped up right when I needed you yesterday and took me out of there immediately just like how superman would do! And you did the exact same thing earlier as well!” Zoa explains, sounding serious about convincing Jihan that she’s indeed a heroine. Jihan just laughs lightly. 

“I’m not a heroine Zo. I’m just a friend who truly cares about you.” Jihan says and before Zoa can protest she points at the door right next to them saying,

“We reached your classroom. Now be a good girl and get inside. Also drink your juice before your class starts. I will feel guilty all day for knowing that you skipped breakfast because of me.” Zoa’s eyes widen as she tries to make Jihan stop feeling guilty for literally saving her. 

“Hey no! You just saved me! Don’t feel guilty about breakfast. You did what you had to do. Breakfast is just collateral damage.” Zoa says and forms a goofy smile at the end. Jihan laughs at that. 

“Collateral damage huh?”

“Yes. So please don’t feel guilty, unnie.” Zoa says, forming her cute smile at Jihan who laughs again. 

“If you say so. Make sure to at least drink your juice though, alright?” Zoa nods her head before their soft moment is interrupted by a loud familiar voice saying,

“Zoa ya!” Zoa turns to look at no other than Jiwoo who’s running towards her before the girl hugs her tightly, wanting to make sure her friend is alright. Zoa laughs, trying to assure her friend that she’s alright and with that Jihan leaves them alone. Zoa looks at the older girl walking down the hallway, returning back to the cafeteria most probably before she smiles to herself. She really likes Jihan. She’s an amazing person, she thinks. 

[...]

After a long and tiring day at college, the girls have decided to meet up at Monday’s last class that she has for today before she would lead them to the hideout she’s found. Zoa has been busy writing down her notes, copying them from the board to her notebook that she hasn’t even realized that she’s been left almost completely alone. Her round, reading glasses they she usually wears mostly whenever she’s in class in order to be able to see the board clearly ⏤it is proved after all that she did the wrong thing trying to choose a desk at the back of the class because now she surely has a hard time seeing the board clearly⏤ hanging on the bridge of her nose loosely as she’s tied her long dark brown hair in a messy ponytail, strands falling here and there, framing the sides of her face and back of her neck. 

“Hey, do you think you’ll be done anytime soon?” Jiwoo asks her as she drums her fingers on the desk tiredly, yawning in the process. 

“I have a few more notes to write down. It’s ok if you leave Jiwoo. I’ll be fine.” Jiwoo pouts at Zoa’s response. 

“I was thinking of bringing you home though. Mom has promised to make crepes for dinner and I thought it would be fun to bring you home. It’s been a long time since the last time you saw my mom, she’s missed you, ya know. It would be a nice surprise for her.” Jiwoo says, forming a small smile.

“Oh! Uh, thank you for the offer but once I’m done I have to find Monday unnie. She’s promised to show me something and then we will crash to her apartment to watch a movie.”

“Pajama party?” Jiwoo asks and Zoa shrugs her shoulders. 

“Kinda? I guess, I dunno. It’s not like I put a label in our hangouts.” Jiwoo laughs and shakes her head. 

“Alright then.” She says but doesn’t leave the classroom just yet, not liking the idea of leaving Zoa alone, especially after what has happened to her earlier this morning in the cafeteria. She surely doesn’t trust to leave the girl alone even if she claims that she will be fine. 

“Knock knock.” They hear a familiar voice by the door before Zoa snaps her head towards the direction of it, and as soon as she does her whole face lights up; Jiwoo notices. 

“Hey!” She exclaims as soon as she finds Jihan waiting for her by the door. 

“I thought you should reply with a “who’s there?” kind of phrase, no?” Zoa laughs at Jihan’s reply.

“But I see you though. Why would I reply with that?” The girl asks her as she tilts her head to the side, staring at Jihan as she tries to make some sense in what’s supposed to be just a casual phrase and a light joke between friends. Jihan is a little caught off guard, she has to admit. She smiles and looks at her feet feeling a little flustered before she replies with a soft,

“Nevermind.” and walks towards the two. She waves as a greeting to Jiwoo who waves back at her and takes a seat at the chair right in front of Zoa, making sure she’s not blocking the girl’s way from seeing the board clearly. 

“Monday unnie is getting a little impatient. Haven’t you checked your phone?” Jihan then asks Zoa who blinks at her, eyes wide as if Jihan is speaking a whole different language. Jihan catches herself getting flustered again by the girl’s adorableness and she swears Zoa is making it too hard for her not to like her. 

Zoa fishes for her phone in her jacket’s pocket before she realizes it’s actually vibrating nonstop by incoming texts from Monday who hasn’t stopped texting their group chat ⏤one that they’ve made upon the very first week they’ve all met and moved in the dorms and Zoa has been glad for that because it has helped her get closer to Jaehee and Jihan way faster. 

“That’s weird. She’s not one to spam in the group chat. It’s always Soeun unnie.” Zoa says and Jiwoo laughs from next to them, finding it funny. 

“I’m not telling you to hurry up but maybe that’s our call for you to… uh… hurry up, yeah.” Jihan says and giggles softly at the end realizing that she’s indeed kind of telling the girl to hurry up as she scratches the back of her head a little.

“I’m trying my best. But I surely need to study those a lot of times at home because I’m totally not making any sense of what I’m writing right now.” Jiwoo laughs at that too as she has to agree with Zoa, as she’s done the exact same thing earlier, copying without even thinking or understanding. 

“I haven’t seen you in glasses before.” Jihan comments before Zoa’s eyes flit back on her again, pursing her lips as her stare lasts just a little longer on Jihan’s eyes before she looks back on the board. Jihan feels her heart fluttering once again and she wonders if Zoa has any little bit of an idea at all of what her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter