Chapter 11

After Shool || Weeekly
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Hey! You guys are improving!” Soojin exclaims happily once she looks at both Jaehee and Zoa riding their skateboards. The girls have gathered up at their hideout once again, liking the safety this place holds for them by now as well as the peace and quiet they get. It's a safe place for them, a second home, a place wherein they can always go to and let out their frustrations and stress as well as relax and do lots of other things to forget about what makes them so sad and nervous or overall the hardships of life. 

So it's either they crash at each other's dorms or at MonSsong’s apartment or at their hideout. 

At first, they thought that skateboarding could be their own club activity wherein they could start from total zero level knowledge and would reach the level or riding a skateboard properly, even doing tricks, running fast on it without falling and of course jumping which is a very hard thing to do too. It's not a club they thought they would present to the rest of the school but at first they thought that yeah… it could be a club like all others, potentially. But later on, with the rest of the stress they got from college and other clubs, they realized that it's better if skateboarding remains just for fun and as a way out to release all of their stress and it works perfectly so far. 

Zoa giggles happily as she turns her head around to face Soojin, a genuinely happy smile on her lips. She extends her arms on both sides as she enjoys her ride before she slows down and hops off the skateboard. 

“Really? You think so?” She asks, eyebrows flying up her forehead as her big round dark brown eyes stare deep into Soojin's, in that way of hers that always makes her look so pure yet so adorable exactly because she's so genuinely and innocently happy. 

“Yeah. I think so. And I'm proud.” Soojin says, forming that familiar, warm, proud smile of hers, that one that Zoa has always received throughout her life way too many times as she grew up and tried out new things that would make Soojin happy. Except for familiar though, it feels safe, because it makes her feel safe, that what she's doing is the right thing, because it's making Soojin proud. 

Zoa's eyes land on Jihan then, who also looks at her with a warm, comforting smile and smiles back at her happily. They stare at each other deeply for a couple of seconds, just smiling like fools before Monday says,

“Oh for goodness sake you two are just too adorable!” To which Zoa giggles shyly before she walks towards Jihan, holding her hands as she doesn't seem to stay away for too long. 

“Thanks I guess.” She says before she turns her attention back to Jihan. 

“Hey. I think Soojin unnie is right. I think I got this. I think I know how to stabilize myself properly and ride this skateboard.” Zoa says, sounding sure and confident and enthusiastic for her new attained skills. 

“I know. I saw you. You've been working hard on it, no matter how much studying or practicing on the basketball team you also have to do.” Jihan says. 

“Thanks. I think I can help you ride with me too. Do you want to try?” Zoa suggests and with that the two ignore the rest who keep on commenting about how cute the young couple is as Zoa and Jihan ride on Zoa's skateboard. 

Zoa giggles happily as she helps Jihan stabilize herself on the skateboard before she holds her from her waist, back hugging her basically. She rests her head on Jihan's shoulder, making the girl flustered and shy but living their close proximity too much for her own sake. She pushes the skateboard slowly and Jihan lets out a scared yelp. 

“We won't fall, unnie. Do you trust me?” Jihan slowly nods her head. She trusts Zoa, she trusts her with all her being, which is terrifying itself already, but still, it's scary to ride a skateboard just yet because her mind is stuck to what will happen if she falls. And if she falls she will get hurt. 

“I do. But what if we fall? What if you can't prevent that from happening? What if I get hurt? Or what if you get hurt? I don't want us to get hurt.” 

“We won't. I'm used to falling, unnie. And if you fall, I'll be right there to catch you.” Zoa says and their friends can't help but whistle loudly and cheer excitedly, proud at Zoa's pick up, flirty line that has managed to make Jihan blush furiously. And it seems like the girls’ reaction only makes Jihan blush even more while Zoa smiles happily, not really feeling shy or embarrassed or humiliated by their friends. 

“Where did she get that line?” Jaehee asks. 

“I'm sure she's secretly taking lessons from Monday in order to know how to melt Jihyo’s heart!” Soeun exclaims and Monday laughs, shaking her head and denying the rumors Soeun  is just about to spread. Their friends bicker a little more and tease the couple but it all fades away in the couple’s ears as Zoa leans closer to Jihan's ear and whispers softly,

“I mean it, Jihannie.” to which Jihan blushes even more before she nods her head shyly, mumbling a stuttering messy,

“O-ok” 

“You’re becoming braver, little one. I’m proud.” Monday says as she ruffles Zoa’s top of her head, messing up the girl’s hair a little as the younger lets out a groan. Her friends seriously won’t leave her alone with her girlfriend. Not like as if she lets them as well so the annoyance is mutual she guesses. 

“Braver as in what?” Jaehee asks. 

“She’s openly flirting with Jihan in front of us. That didn’t happen before. And I can say I feel weirdly proud for being the first one along with you guys to witness this.” Soeun explains what Monday meant seconds ago. 

“Yeah, how did that happen?” Soojin asks, wondering. 

“You guys don’t judge. I feel comfortable and safe around you. I just know that it’s fine.” Zoa explains as she turns to look at them. Jihan just smiles shyly. 

“I’m happy you feel that way and can be yourself around us.” Soojin says and smiles proudly once again to their younger friend who smiles back and nods her head. She then turns to look at Jihan as she says,

“I’ve seen a few cute couple videos of skating together and I want to try the things they did. Now that we both know how to ride these skates just a little better.” 

Jihan raises her head just a little to face Zoa’s eyes and once again she falls in love with their height difference, with how softly Zoa looks at her, deep in her eyes and only, of how they just stand there, one lowering her head a little and the other raising her head a little, staring deeply at each other, their stares filled with love. 

“What kind of videos?” Jihan asks and Zoa mentions for Jihan to just sit down on the skateboard. They both sit on it, shoulders touching as Zoa shows the older girl a couple of videos. 

“Some seem harder to do or film, but some others are very simple.” Zoa says as she finally takes her head from literally being collided on Jihan’s side of her head and turns to look at the girl. Jihan does the same and once they’re looking back at each other’s eyes Jihan can’t help but blush again. Lately she finds herself falling more and more into Zoa’s eyes whenever they stare at each other ⏤which is very often by the way. 

“I liked the one wherein I had to sit down. It seemed easy. Though it needs lots of strength from you, right?” 

“Yeah, I guess so. But we can try it.” Zoa says, sounding optimistic and before Jihan knows it, she’s already sitting on the skateboard, legs crossed as she holds Zoa’s phone in her hands, about to film them. 

Jihan swears she’s an energetic person and one filled with lots of ideas of things she and her friends can do but whenever she’s around Zoa she finds herself just enjoying the girl’s company, so much that her brain short-circuits and can’t think of anything else but the girl and how much she loves her. So she feels glad that Zoa hasn’t lost her enthusiasm around her and is the one suggesting things for them to do because that way their hangouts and dates are still fun just like how they always used to be even before they caught feelings for each other. Nothing has changed and Jihan feels glad for that. 

Zoa stands behind her, her hands resting on the girl’s shoulders and once she counts on three, and makes sure Jihan is stabilized well enough in order not to fall, she pushes the skateboard with her other foot. Then she places it back on the skateboard and for a couple of feet away they ride the skateboard together, giggling and smiling at the camera before the skateboard slows down and completely stops. Zoa leans closer to Jihan and kisses her cheek before she waves at the camera, still giggling. Jihan ends the video and remains frozen for a couple of seconds, still not used to Zoa’s kisses even if they’re just on the cheek for now. Her cheek gets numb as she still feels Zoa’s plump lips lingering on her skin, her whole body shuddering at the mere affection and the mere thought of how much a simple kiss on the cheek is affecting her makes Jihan’s heart beat rapidly and her head to turn into panic mode. Is it ok for someone to have so much control over your emotions? For Jihan, it’s ok as long as it’s Zoa. Because she trusts her and knows that the girl won’t ever hurt her, though it still remains a little scary. 

She touches her cheek with her fingers as she smiles shyly, her cheeks already having turned red out of shyness. 

“This was fun. And you didn’t fall, see?” Zoa exclaims excitedly and Jihan nods her head. 

“Yeah. Can we stay like this for a little bit more?” She asks Zoa as she rests her head on the girl’s chest, liking being back hugged as they sit on the skateboard. Zoa giggles. 

“Of course. Just don’t sleep on me.” Zoa jokes. 

“Why not? You’re very comfortable. More than my actual pillow is.” Zoa laughs at that. 

“Is that a compliment or an insult?” 

“I… don’t know honestly. It’s just my way of telling you that I liked being hugged by you.” Jihan confesses and although she’s shy doing this ⏤especially in front of their friends⏤ she wants to do it because Zoa is usually the most expressive one between the two of them and keeps commenting on the things she likes overall but also the things she loves about Jihan and their relationship so Jihan feels like she should give all that that she’s receiving back to the girl because she deserves it but because she also wants to try it and do it herself as well. It feels nice telling Zoa what she likes about her anyway. Just as nice as it feels when Zoa tells her what she likes about her. 

Zoa just giggles before she hugs Jihan closer. 

“I like it too.” She says and kisses Jihan’s cheek again, making the girl gasp and blush madly as she shudders again. And… there it is! The rushing heartbeat, her nerves popping up and blood rushing everywhere all over her body making her feel numb, shaky, weak and nervous. She believes she’s starting to get used to the fluttering feeling and all these effects Zoa has on her but then again even if she does, she will never be fully prepared for it or used to it no matter how often it happens or how well she knows how it feels. 


======================================================


Being  eager to be with Jihan is an understatement. At this point, Soojin doesn't even question the girl when she suddenly stands up from her seat, abandons her books and notes and rushes off the room. She doesn't question it when the girl wakes up in the middle of the night mumbling Jihan's name over and over just because she had yet again another intense dream about her, doesn't question when the girl returns back home late and talks to her for hours even later about her date with Jihan. It's everything about Jihan and Soojin doesn't need to question about this to know. It's visible in every single action Zoa does, but also in her every move, facial expression and even the smallest of smile or her eyes that are shining brighter than the sun at this point. Zoa has always been a happy and optimistic person and Soojin has always been by her side to see all sides of her as well as the growth in the girl and her feelings and happiness but this happy side of her Soojin has to admit that she's never seen before. 

She's happy and proud of this new change in Zoa because it's a good change and no matter how much Jihan affects the girl, she doesn't need to worry because Jihan is a friend of hers and she knows Jihan, and Jihan doesn't plan on hurting the girl ever. 

So she doesn't even question it when Zoa announces that she's going to pick up Jihan from her drama club because Zoa always goes where Jihan is. And right now, Jihan is at the amphitheater, practicing along with Jaehee and Jungwon. 

Zoa has heard Jihan talking about the drama club a lot of times. She's heard Jihan referring to the kids there, about some girls and boys that seemed to be close to her and kind of her friend group along with Jaehee of course. She's also heard Jihan talking time and time again about how lame the drama club is, about how many random kids have signed up there, thinking way too full of themselves and believing that they actually got this and can become actual actors and actresses. She's also heard many funny stories of the filming or the plots and acting of a lot of kids and how Jihan would just get bored most of the time or would end up film all the behind the scenes instead of the actual scenes, would cut and crop them and merge them into one clip that she would keep forever in order to laugh by herself or just to blackmail the kids whenever they would annoy her. 

Zoa knew where the drama club has always been held at, and there were lots of times that she was actually free and available and could just go along with Jihan and observe how this whole thing works, as a guest, but she's always been shy and wanted to leave the girl in peace to do her own thing while she could use that free tike of hers to study or practice more for the upcoming basketball games. 

This time however Zoa has been too bored to study and couldn't focus at all and all she's been thinking about was Jihan and Jihan again so she decided to pay the girl a visit instead of thinking about her by herself and feeling lonely. 

She slowly opens the door of the big amphitheater, takes a slow, hesitant step inside and closes the door as quietly as she opened it, not wanting to interrupt. Most kids didn't pay her attention while if any actually did, they didn't say anything and simply ignored her. After all, it's not the first time an outsider would just pay them a visit and observe their practices. 

Zoa turns around once again, facing the stage wherein a couple of kids have been on it, practicing some kind of a play that Zoa isn't sure of, before her eyes land on the front row of the countless chairs in the room. The front row has been almost filled, with students paying attention to the play or practicing their own roles by reading their scripts while in the middle of the front row seemed to be some kind of a director —other than Jungwon and Jihan who have been mostly in charge of the filming parts— who lead the whole play and corrected the kids on their acting skills or their lines of they would forget them. 

She scans the room a little bit more, in search of Jihan before her eyes land on two chairs at the back of the stage which has been occupied with a familiar guy that Zoa could identify as Jungwon, a very friendly guy from the little she's interacted with him around campus because of Jihan, and next to him the other chair has been occupied with, well of course Jihan. 

The two have leaned close to each other, their shoulders touching, as they've been observing closely Jungwon’s camera and they've been giggling every now and then. Zoa guesses that they've been possibly filming another behind the scenes tape wherein Jihan would use for her collection by how they two would laugh and high five every now and then. 

She decides that going to Jihan would be a little odd, awkward and inevitable because she would end up interrupting the play, most possibly, by passing by the stage so she takes a seat at the fourth row which is empty because most students have been sitting at the first and second row while the third row has been filled with their belongings. 

She sits down quietly and observes Jihan for a few long minutes, waiting for her to notice her which doesn't seem to happen anytime soon as the girl has been too deep in her spying mode. She takes a look at the play and realizes that it's a very bad version of Romeo and Juliet and rolls her eyes immediately, losing her interest immediately. Not only is it a very famous and basic play but also the kids’ acting skills are awful and ruin the whole play. 

She takes her phone in her hands and texts Jihan, deciding that it would be fun to surprise her like that instead. 

Zoa: hey ;)

She places her phone back on her knees as she looks back at Jihan, wanting to observe the girl's reactions upon seeing her text. Personally, when she sees Jihan's texts she always smiles brightly like a fool, her heart warms up and beat faster than usual while she feels way too giddy, excited and eager to reply and usually she replies immediately to the girl's texts. Now, however, she wonders how Jihan looks behind her own screen as it hasn't been a sight that she's seen that often before. She knows that Jihan loves her and she also knows that Jihan replies immediately to her texts too because she's witnessed it by always receiving a reply immediately right after she texts the girl but she's still curious to see how the girl reacts and if she gets as giddy as she does. 

Jihan keeps giggling with Jungwon until her phone vibrates on her pocket and she slowly drags herself further from Jungwon as she takes her phone out from her pocket. Zoa smiles to herself as she sees the girl slowly fishing for her phone and unlocking it and once she does, Zoa can't help the giddiness that fills her chest and heart and whole being actually as Jihan's lips slowly curved up in a happy grin. She doesn't need to look at her phone to know that Jihan has read her text because she just knows that Jihan always reads her texts immediately, but also because she sees the girl properly holding the phone in her hands and preparing her thumbs to type a reply. Seconds later her own phone in her hands vibrates and she smiles at herself as she looks at it. 

Jihan: hi! What's that winky face for?

She muffles in order to prevent a giggle from escaping her lips and making a sound which would betray that she's in the room as well but then again there's so much noise coming from all those students who practice their roles so she doubts that she would ever be heard but still, she wants to be sure that her surprise would be the best one and work out the way she wants to. 

Zoa: just because X-P 
say, what are you up to unnie? 

She raises her head again to look back at Jihan and once again thanks herself for not being that visible by sitting st the fourth row as lots of students are on the stage and also the front and second row so they're all enough to prevent Jihan from seeing her clearly —if she tried to, at least. 

She sees Jihan's eyes sticking on her phone as she lowers her head, focusing on her phone and only and even when Jungwon nudges her and giggles at something she only forms a smile as she keeps on typing her own reply, another, warmer and happier smile than the one Jungwon could put on, formed on her lips as she types her next reply on the person she most loves. 

Jihan: I'm in the drama club. Bored out of my mind. >⁠.⁠<

Zoa giggles mutely before she types her next reply quickly. 

Zoa: I know a girl who can keep you busy and make you less bored ;)

She smiles smugly at herself before she stares at Jihan intensely, wondering how the girl would react now. She sees Jihan blushing and her lips as her fingers hover over her phone for a few seconds, trying hard to collect herself and her thoughts. 

Jihan: really? Who's that? Nana? 

Zoa bites her lips, knowing that Jihan is just teasing her exactly because she's teasing her too. She knows Jihan is using her weakness, is using the person whom has hurt Zoa before and has made her have so many conflicted feelings because honestly Zoa doesn't hate Nana, but she surely feels weird around her. 

Zoa: no unnie. You're supposed to reply that it's me, but I guess you're no fun. I'm leaving -_-

Jihan frowns and Zoa smiles a little upon seeing the girl's troubled face. 

Jihan: Alright, I take it back, I'm sorry. Please don't leave the chat, I'm bored. 

Zoa giggles mutely once again. 

She decides to send a photo next, making sure that the light of the room would be visible along with the background, the walls of the amphitheater as well as the chairs around her. She smiles, satisfied with the photo she's taken before she sends it and smiles brightly upon seeing Jihan also smiling over her phone, forming that shy smile of hers, her dimples showing up and being visible even from seats away, over at Zoa's seat. 

Jihan: You look adorable. 

Zoa smiles, realizing that Jihan hasn't realized anything yet so she decides to finally give the girl a hint as she texts back with a,

Zoa: so do you, Jihannie. 

At that, Jihan furrows her eyebrows, pauses for a couple of seconds before she replies back

Jihan: I didn't send a photo though. 

Zoa: You don't have to. I just know that you are. 

Jihan smiles at herself.

Jihan: How though? I could be wearing a trash bag for all you know.

Zoa giggles mutely at herself at that before she decides to stare a little at Jihan, deciding go torture her a little by not replying immediately because once she does, she will reveal that she's at the drama club too. She observes Jihan's outfit a little in order to describe it well at her following reply as well as the girl's troubled expressions as she stares at her phone, waiting for a reply that takes a while to come. Zoa sees Jihan sighing and pouting at herself before she places her phone on her knees and looks back at Jungwon, deciding that she should entertain herself with something else since Zoa seems to have disappeared from the chat. Zoa smiles brightly at herself before she finally types down her reply. 

Zoa: you're not. In fact, you're wearing a plaid skirt, with a furry tight blouse along with a red scarf and a plaid blazer. And you look really adorable in these. 

At that Jihan furrows her eyebrows before she parts her lips shocked and finally raises her eyes and scans the room. The exact next second her phone vibrates again and she sees a new text from Zoa, specifically a photo, a photo of herself being taken from somewhere further away and she immediately raises her head to stare around the amphitheater before her eyes finally land on Zoa's, finally spotting her behind all those students, seats and backpacks. Her jaw drops, she parts her lips in shock as her eyes widen and eyebrows fly up her forehead. Zoa just smiles brightly at her and waves her hand slightly before she takes her phone back in her hands and texts Jihan again. 

Zoa: hi. Again. 

Jihan looks at her phone and slowly her shocked expressions fade away, replaced with her usual happy and light expressions. 

Jihan: hey. Again. 

Zoa giggles and raises her eyebrows shyly as she looks at Jihan who looks at her back. 

Zoa: surprise? 

Jihan giggles. She stands up from her seat and excuses herself to Jungwon who questions it for a little but doesn't get a reply anyway. She walks from behind the stage and around it before she finally reaches Zoa's spot and sits next to her. Zoa smiles brightly as she looks at Jihan walking towards her, Jihan standing next to her, Jihan looking at her and Jihan sitting next to her. Basically at Jihan's every single move, stare and expressions as she feels herself lovestruck all over again, falling and falling all over again. 

“What are you doing here?” Jihan asks in a low voice in order not to be heard as she places her right hand on Zoa's left thigh, squeezing it softly. It's the first time she's doing such a thing and she's not sure where it came from but as soon as she realizes she stares at Zoa a little longer, wondering if it made the girl uncomfortable. She swears it wasn't her intention to make the girl uncomfortable, she just felt like doing it because she felt way too giddy and excited and happy knowing that the girl has come over. She felt comfortable by doing this. 

Fortunately for her it seems like Zoa likes it because she places her hand on top of Jihan's, tangling their fingers as she smiles. 

“I came to see you. Is it that bad?” Jihan shakes her head immediately. 

“No. It's not. I loved your surprise, in fact.” Zoa smiles even more at that as she nods her head. 

“Good. Because I missed you and really wanted to see you.” She confesses once again, the confessions always slipping past her lips so easily because it's just always so easy to say the truth for her. It has never been an issue before or a topic to debate and doubt. 

She stares deeply into Jihan's eyes, loving how they shine just like how they always do. This time however she's sure she notices Jihan's light expressions fading away as a familiar nervousness replaces it instead and soon the girl's eyes can't seem to focus on Zoa's eyes for too long. 

“Really?” Jihan asks slowly, her voice barely audible and sound small and unstable and Zoa notices for the second time that Jihan's eyes change their focus and land somewhere else. Somewhere lower. 

She tries to mirror Jihan's eyes direction and lowers her own eyes before they land on Jihan's lips as she tries to understand what the girl has been staring at. Jihan's round pink and soft lips look really beautiful and for some odd reason Zoa wants to stare at them longer. Jihan is beautiful as a whole person so of course her lips would be beautiful too and they would be a part that Zoa would want to stare a lot too, it's only understandable. 

She looks back at Jihan's eyes again, deciding that she likes looking at Jihan's eyes just a little bit more than her lips because the girl's eyes are filled with emotions, emotions Zoa can now understand, now that she knows. Jihan's eyes are filled with love and care for her, and Zoa can tell that now too. 

But once she looks at Jihan's eyes she realizes that Jihan is still staring at her lips. She wonders why… or what Jihan is thinking, what she's feeling, why is she doing this… or has she just daydreamed and forgot that she has been staring? Honestly, Zoa doesn't mind whatever the reasons are because it's Jihan and she feels comfortable around her. And she trusts her. 

“Yes, really.” She replies and forms a happy smile as she nods her head. She looks deep into Jihan's glistening eyes as she smiles happily. She notices Jihan's eyes still staring at her lips and somehow her heart warms up knowing that somehow, a part of her, specifically her lips, have Jihan's attention. It makes her feel flustered somehow. 

“And instead of receiving a warm hug I saw you giggling with Jungwon and then getting interrogated for wanting to see my own girlfriend.” She says playfully. Jihan gasps as it seems enough to bring her back from her daze. 

“Wow! You're more confident to call me your girlfriend now. I'm pretty sure you were hesitant the other day.” Jihan decides to be playful too. Zoa giggles. 

“You're right. But that was Juyeon sunbaenim and you know how awkward and nervous he makes me feel. I'm not that shy around all these nameless students.” Zoa says and Jihan nods her head. 

“What was that about Jungwon though? Are you jealous?” Jihan teases her girlfriend and Zoa laughs softly. 

“I know he's your friend. So no. But you were paying him too much attention and didn't seem to pay me any or notice me or ever just allow yourself to wander your eyes around the room. Something! I feel forgotten.” Zoa says, pours and crosses her arms to her chest, pretending

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter