Episode 7: Bending the Rules

Killing Cliché (with Jake from ENHYPEN and Huening Bahiyyih from Kep1er)
Please log in to read the full chapter

Bahiyyih: Good morning to our Independent Regents!

Jungwon: Can we have your attention, please?

Bahiyyih: This is an important emergency public announcement

Jungwon: We have received many complaints from the school Seoul International Junior High.

Bahiyyih: And we are afraid that we must share some with you. One says, “The school must be closed down. It is the one school that still holds the traditional rules that we don’t need to this day!”

Jungwon: Another says, “My daughter could have died from depression! She was beaten and yelled at by a lot of the teachers and the students! Sue this school until it is no more!!”

Bahiyyih: Our last one says, “My daughter Bianca was stoked to go to a real school in Korea, ever since we moved here. The uniforms, new friends, and fun activities. But I didn’t realize this school had a dark secret. By the time she was thirteen, Bianca went through an adolescent stage of depression and would not want to wake up in the morning. The school contacted me and said she would be expelled if she didn’t arrive at a proper time. But she said that they “don’t like children”. Then I realized that she was being pressured to be smart and participate in the lesson conversations, forcing her to explain the things that she does not care about learning but does the homework anyways. At that point, it sickened me. My Bianca really was getting hurt at that school. And so, when COVID hit, I pulled her straight out of there and had her homeschooled for the rest of the second semester. Now I am finally glad that she is safe in Independence Academy and not with the people that destroy children’s dreams.

 

Reliving the moments when she was hurt in the hands of the SIJH, Bianca knew that her life would only become worse when she was treated awfully by the staff and students.

However, when she was younger, Jake was at the school too. But he was about to graduate. He still remembered the mistake that he had made when he ratted out on her for having the jewelry all around her neck, wrists and fingers.

But it wasn’t just the jewelry…it was also about her hair color.

When Bianca was twelve, she skipped to school as if it was any school day of the week. But little did she know that the school would not approve of her British tweaks.

It was while they were in their math department when Bianca was given a question. She only liked basic math and not Algebra, Geometry, or even Calculus. But this question was more suspicious.

“Bianca,” called the teacher, “Can you stand up for a moment?”

Bianca did as she told her to do. But the teacher had a remark about her hair, not her focus, or her work.

“Did you know that in this school we only have black hair? It is vital that you dye it black, unless that is your original color.”

“Why would I dye my hair?” asked Bianca.

“And also, you cannot tie your hair up. Only we can decide the hairstyles and the color of your hair.”

Bianca froze. But she did not want to follow rules that did not appeal to her. She sat back down and put her head on rest.

“You will be suspended for this.”

“I don’t care,” said Bianca, muffled inside her arms, “My mummy will kill you anyways.”

“Bianca, you have to listen.”

“미안해요 선생님.” said Bianca in Korean, “엄마는 내 머리를 묶고 싶어했다. 규칙에 어긋나는 줄 몰랐어요. 내가 벗을게. (I’m sorry, teacher. My mum wanted to tie my hair. She didn’t know it was against the rules. I’ll take it off.)”

Bianca then untied her hair and laid her head down again, muffling her cries from the incident. When break began, Bianca snuck herself in the bathroom, and pulled out another ribbon in the same color as the first one. She then tied both sides of her hair, to see what the students or teachers would do.

And then, while at recess, she was on her phone with her mother. She told her about the incident that happened during math class. Before she received a reply, the vice principal and the assistant student patrol caught her in the act.

“Where did you put your phone?” asked the vice principal.

“In my pocket, reason?”

One student checked her pockets. But it wasn’t there. However, it was in the inner pockets.

“I was only talking to my mother,” said Bianca, “We are on break, really.”

“I suppose,” said the Vice President, “If only your mother wasn’t stupid enough to not figure out that this place is of power and that you are only meant to study in order to succeed.”

“Stupid? My mother?”

“And these pony tails must be off of campus at all times. This is not England anymore! You are competition to Korean society! Either chop these things off or I will do it myself!”

But Bianca did not understand.

“Ribbons don’t harm people.” Bianca mumbled.

“They are a distraction to others around you, and even to your studies. Don’t you want to get into a good college one day?”

Bianca nodded. But refused to take off the ribbons.

As punishment, she was called up to the assembly room. Standing there were the student patrol and the school’s principal.

They grabbed her by the wrist and yanked out the pink ribbons. And then, she slapped her. It echoed from the ceiling.

“OUCH!” Bianca cried.

“The slap had better teach you a lesson. I want to see your hair in a proper color and not in an inappropriate style. Capiche?”

Bianca nodded her head and was given back the ribbons straight after.

Her mother drove home with a worried look to Bianca. She noticed her daughter rubbing her left cheek. She knew something must have happened.

Please log in to read the full chapter