# 12 (Trouble)

Innkeeper
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

He sees the curiosity. On Hyukjae. At Angel's Place. Like when the staff greeted them. Led them to a table. He's quiet. Polite. Gives simple thank yous. Nods. Perhaps because Donghae's also uttering few words. This makes him a bit nervous. But the way Hyukjae's eyes light up...

His lips smile...

Donghae's nervousness disappears.

The server hands them menus. Asks Donghae if he has any requests. Donghae wants to ask Hyukjae. He wants to say: it's always Hyukjae getting him food. Letting him eat on the house. So he wants to suggest some dishes here. Then he realizes...

He doesn't know that much. About him.

Hyukjae's already looking at the menu. There's a little pout on his mouth. He blinks up.

"What are you getting?" he says. Soft.

Donghae immediately turns his menu. Places it between them. Points. Hyukjae eagerly leans forward.

After a few minutes... they've decided their food. Donghae feels fluttery. The other has whispered with him. Back and forth. He's honest with his likes. Dislikes. His mouth pouts. His eyebrows knit. Before he mumbles, no. Then excitedly adds:

"But would you mind eating it for me?"

Now Donghae knows. Some of his likes. Dislikes.

Hyukjae gives both their orders. To the server. Smiles cutely at Donghae.

"Thank you," Donghae says.

The other blinks. "I'm sorry, for what?"

Donghae chuckles. Straightens up. His voice feels okay. So he takes this chance.

"I want to tell you..." Donghae says. "I would like to talk. I want to. But I also don't want to end up losing my voice too soon... and then I'd have to be silent the rest of the time... so I'm choosing to speak a little..."

Donghae pauses. Hyukjae's immediately started shaking his head. He reaches for something. Pulls out a notepad. Clicks a pen. Places it on the table.

"You talk as little as you want or as much as you want," Hyukjae says. "You can write on here. And I can lip read. Or sit closer to you--" Hyukjae's made to move his chair. But he stops. "Um, if you don't mind though... just--just whatever you like! As long as you're comfortable and not worrying about anything."

Donghae slowly pulls out his own notepad. Surprised. Amused. He shows it to him. Places it on the table.

"I brought one too..."

Hyukjae laughs.

 

----

 

Donghae feels at ease. Because of Hyukjae. He gives him space. To speak when he wants. His questions are simple. For Donghae to respond to. In a few words. It's mostly about food. Yes or no questions. Work.

They don't get to the notepad. But they share some food. Donghae finds it enjoyable. Just seeing Hyukjae eat. With focus. There are a few hums. Hyukjae's eyes widen. He looks at him. Looks a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter