# 6 (Sulking)

Innkeeper
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

"So... a wizard? Is that why there are rabbits?"

"Of course. I need them for my magic tricks."

"Is that how you welcome guests?" Donghae had a pretty smile. Playful. His voice was a soft breeze. "I'd like to see a magic trick, too..."

"What-- magic tricks? No! This place is my welcome! Or... uh, actually, I didn't name this place. My great grandfather did. He was also a wizard. No one knows if he meant, his welcome, or if, you know, other wizards are welcome."

Donghae had paused. His head tilted a bit. He thought.

"A wizard's welcome... or a wizard is welcome?"

"Yes."

"I see. How old is this place?"

"Um... I don't know."

"Did he have bunnies everywhere too?"

"No, he just had one. It lived in his hat."

Donghae had laughed.

 

----

 

Immediately after that lunch... Hyukjae kept smiling. To himself. All day. It felt like a great day. Nari was better, too. She wanted to stay.

Hyukjae felt so warm.

By next morning... he'd gotten sleep. Nari had, too. Hyukjae thought clearer. Better. He started rethinking. Started playing their conversation. In his head.

Wait...

What did he tell Donghae?

What was he wearing then?

He had lunch with him?

What's wrong with him?

By afternoon... he was a bit stressed. Kind of... anxious. Embarrassed. Filled with underlying anticipation. There was the usual work. Nari didn't want to go home. Her mother said she'll try tomorrow.

In the midst of all that: Hyukjae checked the mirrors. The front entrance.

Donghae didn't come.

Hyukjae felt worse. He continued remembering that lunch. Each time... it seemed more of a disaster. Failure. He was troubled.

He tried to keep busy, though. With work. Guests. Nari. She remained for the night. Clung to him. Hyukjae was able to sleep well.

Morning came before he knew it.

And Donghae didn't.

So Hyukjae is feeling down. Upset. Especially at his staff.

Why would they do that to him? Why did Lily drag him out like that?

Is Donghae okay?

Could it be he is just busy?

What if he's sick?

"Thinking about your handsome non-magical creature?"

Hyukjae lifts his head. Turns from his mirrors. Hayun's grinning.

"No. Where's Nari?"

"Oh, Sungmin's doing her hair -- can't you see?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter