Neighbours to Lovers (Hoya ♥ Yoomi)

이제는 널 Shot! One Shots! ;; Status: Open and Accepting Requests

Neighbours to Lovers

By -the-badguy-or-hero-

Requested by kimyoomii

 

It’s that part of the year again, where all students, dressed in their uniforms, trot back to school to start a new page of their lives. It’s that day where most students are willing to go back to school just to see their own friends and keep up to date with the latest gossip and news but are reluctant to go due to laziness from school work.

It’s the start of a new school year.

And to Kim Yoomi, it’s her first year in high school.

Sighing and straightening her posture and her glasses, she eyed the school building top to bottom and left to right. She observed students passing by her and walking towards wherever they were to go before classes. She scanned the beautiful school garden just before the huge school building as she walked past, gripping onto her bag strap tighter.

Her thoughts were scrambling around in her mind, most of them unanswered as of yet. What do I do? What’s my first class? Who’s my homeroom teacher? What’s he like? Will my homeroom teacher even be a guy? Who will be my friends?

Coming to high school was frightening to her; especially when most of her grade school friends all entered a different high school from hers. She was alone. But somehow, it didn’t matter to her. She could make new friends and just build stronger relationships with her old ones. After all, the more friends, the merrier, right? Plus, being the new girl meant that she could be as clueless as she could possibly be and no one would expect much from her. Well, she thinks they won’t anyway.

Upon entering her classroom, she found an empty seat just by the window at the far corner of the room. She propped her school bag down next to her chair and sat down, resting her chin on her hands and sighing again. Even with a new goal set in her mind, she still wished her friends were there with her. Right now, she had no one to talk to and she badly needed someone to chatter with.

This will be a long day for her.

-----

March 2nd, a Saturday. Yoomi stood against one of her bedroom windows, her face and palms pressed firmly against the glass as she watched men carry up box after box after furniture after box from their truck to the house just beside her own.

Finally, someone will be living just next door. It won’t be too eerily quiet anymore. Someone will actually occupy the room whose window stood a meter away from her window and, who knows, the person occupying that room could be someone around her age.

Yoomi snapped out of her thoughts as her eyes focused upon a boy that looked just about her age with a stocky build. His arm muscles were not that big but were impressive looking, nonetheless, and his golden blonde hair was perfectly comb to the side.

‘He must be the son of the family.’ Yoomi thought to herself as her eyes followed the figure until he disappeared into his new home. She may not admit it but he did look a bit like her type. No, screw that, he looked a LOT like her type and Yoomi silently prayed he would take the room where their windows faced each other so they could slowly talk and get to know each other.

-----

Yoomi and Howon, or Hoya as he would prefer to be called as, quickly grew into best friends the night after Hoya just moved in to his new home just next door to Yoomi’s. And, it turns out, Hoya transferred to her school as well.

To Yoomi, Hoya was not bad for a best friend. He was charming and goofy, loves to tell jokes even though some of them were not really funny (which was the beauty of it, as he would tell her) and they would hang out constantly. Hoya was smart and trendy as well, getting with the latest fashion that the world is into these days. Some girls in their school would swoon over him but he didn’t really give a damn about it.

“Yoomi-yah!” Hoya called from his window, grinning so wide it seemed as if he was drunk with candy. Yoomi came over towards her window, grinning back and waving to him. She loved it when he’s like this, even though they end up doing the most stupid-est things imaginable.

“Let’s go to the convenience store and buy ice cream! I want ice cream! Yum!” Hoya exclaimed, rubbing his belly and his lips. Yoomi laughed at his funny expression and nodded.

“I’ll be right there.” Yoomi stuck out her tongue and watched Hoya do the same thing then disappear from his window. Knowing Hoya, he would probably be bolting out his front door by now and on his way into her living room so, not bothering to close her curtains, she quickly took off her hoodie to change into a more comfy shirt.

“Oh yeah, le—Sh*t!” Hoya quickly covered his eyes at the sight of Yoomi half-. “I’m sorry, I’m sorry!”

Yoomi screamed. “YAH!” And she quickly closed her curtains, her cheeks burning bright red at the fact that Hoya just saw her upper body wearing nothing but a bra.

“I didn’t see anything!” Hoya called over. “A-Anyways, I’ll just tell you later! I’ll come over now.” From the sound of his voice, Yoomi could tell he was grinning again. Oh how she would love to punch that grin off his face right now.

“Boys.” Yoomi rolled her eyes, her cheeks still red, and quickly changed, bolting down the stairs after.

-----

The class’s Homeroom and also their Physical & Health teacher, Mrs. Kim, came in clad in her sport uniform and ordered the students to settle down and go back to their seats. After going through the class roll, to see if anyone was absent, and any relevant school announcements for them, she calls for attention among the students.

“Class, starting today until the end of next week, I’ll be giving you an assignment to do. But before I tell this assignment, you all have to pair up. Boy and girl per pair. Ppali!” And with that, the students scrambled to get their desired partner, whether it was their best guy/girl friend or their own crush. As obvious as it already is, both Yoomi and Hoya paired up.

“Good.” Mrs. Kim clasped her hands together once the scrambling and noise subsided. “Now. As for the assignment, each pair will have to take care of this.” And she held up a kilogram or so sack of peas. “Pretend as if it were a baby; a real baby. I expect them all to still be in good condition when they get back to me by next week.”

With this, she handed each pair a sack of peas for them to take care of. Each sack had their own unique “feature”; one had a ‘t-shirt’ on it, another had a little diaper wrapped around the bottom and another had a pacifier somehow stuck to its “mouth”. Yoomi and Hoya’s one had a cute little pink bow, which possibly indicates that perhaps it’s a girl.

“I don’t like this…” Hoya murmured probably to no one in particular but Yoomi heard this. She looked at him questionably. Bright and bubbly Hoya doesn’t like taking care of a sack of peas?

“Wae? What’s wrong with pretending this is a baby?” Yoomi asked then looked back at the sack of peas, straightening the bow to her liking. “I think it’s rather cute.” She added, smiling.

“Molla. I just don’t like kids. What more if I take care of a sack. I mean, don’t you just find that silly?” Hoya asked, looking at their “baby” with disgust. He wrinkled his nose. “It smells weird, too.”

“Come on. It’ll only be for about a week or so. It can’t be that bad, can it? Just pretend you’re playing with your action figures when you were a kid. And it does not smell weird. You’re probably smelling your own body odour.”

“You do know that the last ‘action figure’ I had was a Barbie doll, right? My grandmother mistook it for an action figure and gave it to me for Christmas. Man, embarrassing Christmas time of my life.” Hoya reminisced, puffing out a breath. “My cousins laughed at me. So embarrassing…” To this, Yoomi couldn’t resist giggling as well.

“Arasseo, arasseo. But that still doesn’t excuse you from taking care of her.” Yoomi pointed to their “baby”. Hoya threw his hands up, rolling his eyes.

“Oh great. Now you’re calling it a ‘her’. Has the world gone mad?!”

-----

“You know, you’re not bad for a father, Mr Lee Howon.” Yoomi grinned, watching him cradle their “baby” in his arms as they sat comfortably at Yoomi’s living room couch. Both their parents were gone to have an adult dinner together so they were left alone.

“Yeah yeah, whatever. I’d rather get a good grade than suffer with a low one.” Hoya remarked, humming to the sack of peas.

As Yoomi said, Hoya wasn’t bad in taking care of their “baby”; he carried it like it was an actual delicate baby, changed its diaper constantly and lulled it to sleep. Not once did he throw it on the ground and stomped on it. But he still accustomed to calling it, well, an “it”.

“Funny how it doesn’t smell anymore.” Hoya said, looking over to Yoomi as she watched him and shrugging her shoulders.

“Molla. Maybe it really was your body odour that you smelled.” Yoomi joked, sticking out her tongue and laughing. “Eww. Somebody didn’t take a bath that day.”

Hoya shook his head then averted his gaze back to their “baby”. “Whatever.” Hoya grinned.

“But really. You’re not that bad of a father. I’m serious.” Yoomi smiled.

“You’re not bad of a mother, too.” Hoya replied, glancing at her.

“Nah. I think you did way more than I did.” Yoomi waved in dismissal.

“Psh. Give me a break.” Hoya laughed. “When I say you’re a good mother, I mean it. And it’s not coming from pity or anything. It comes from my heart. I would probably never do something like this again, even to a real baby, so I would like it if you were to be my w—“ Hoya cut off before he said anymore, blushing beet red. Yoomi raised her eyebrow at his sudden change of expression.

“Me to be your what?” Yoomi asked.

“It’s nothing. Don’t worry about it.” Hoya gulped and looked away, still beet red in the face. Yoomi looked sceptical then nudged Hoya with her manicured toe.

“Yah. Tell me. Or I’ll use my aegyo on you.” Yoomi smirked. Being angry was one thing Hoya didn’t like but her aegyo was another too. He just couldn’t resist the cuteness of it all. Yoomi always got her way with aegyo and she would usually use it to make Hoya pay for anything embarrassing or bad he might’ve done to her. Or to just simply get whatever she wants.

“No, please.” Hoya bit his lip.

“Then tell me!”

“I was going to say ‘wife’…” Hoya murmured but it was loud enough for Yoomi to hear.

There was silence for a while.

“You know… I like you too…” Yoomi coughed and averted her eyes elsewhere.

“Right… Well, uhh… Wanna hook-up?”

“Sure, why not?”

“Okay. Awesome.”

And that’s how they got together.

 

[[ Yes, it’s crap OTL About 2,000 words of crappiness ;3; But I tried my best anyway~ I’m sorry if it wasn’t funny enough or anything D: I’m getting used to the idea of writing comedy and in third person >o< Anyways, hoped you enjoyed and I’ll see you in the next one-shot that I’ll be writing ^^
-the-badguy-or-hero- ]]