Visiting Our Family

My Oppa

 

When Yunjae came back, they set off to the cemetery. It only takes a ride in the subway to get there, and pretty soon they were among the gravestones on a grassy ground.

The Seoul Memorial Circle isn’t your typical creepy-and-dark-and-scary place. It was actually pleasant until you see the marble grave markers. It was on a low hill that the gravestones of their parents were situated.

Hyukjae brought fruits and put them on the grave of their father. Yunjae had picked fresh flowers from their garden for their mother. They sat in silence for a while, offering prayers and silently speaking to the deceased as if they could hear.

It’s been five years since their parents left them. Yunjae had been 12 years old, and Hyukjae had been 15. It was hard for them during the first few years until they adjusted to each other.

Yunjae closed her eyes and felt the cool breeze through her hair.

Hi umma, appa. How are you up there? Do you miss us? We’re fine down here, well, as fine as one could get when she lives with Lee Hyukjae. I know, I know, you’ll tell me off for saying that, but umma, he’s even worse than you! No offense meant, not to you, anyway. Oppa doesn’t understand that I have to do stuff like hang out with friends and the like. Did he forget that he lived through that phase too? Anyway, I miss you guys a lot. Oh, and favor? Let Hyukjae oppa know that I do love him, even for just a bit. I’m not completely heartless, you know. But I do have pride. I love you guys too.

Hyukjae looked far into the east and met the wind on his face.

Appa, umma, hi. I wish everything’s ok up there. At least, more ok than things are down here. What is it with Yunjae, anyway? The little brat won’t even thank me for staying behind when I could go into Yonsei! I love my sister, I really do, but doesn’t she love me? Guide us through the rest of our lives, and I hope to see you soon!

Hyukjae felt his shirt being tugged down. He looked and faced Yunjae. She had a curious little smile playing on her lips; almost as if she were shy. It made the elder smile too.

“You ready to go?” he asked.

Yunjae nodded.

Visits to their parents always Yunjae happier and easier to deal with. They get closer after such trips. Like today. Yunjae wasn’t embarrassed to hold onto her oppa’s arm, unlike most days when she can’t even stand the sight of him.