Another Typical Day

My Oppa

 

“Oppa~”

After the accident, the Lee siblings’ relationship towards each other became better. Their neighbors were kind of relieved to have quiet mornings after a long while, but they also lost their morning call.

Oh well.

This particular morning, Hyukjae woke up to have breakfast served right on his bed, and a happy, sunshine-y Yunjae looking at him with those glittering eyes of hers. He immediately became suspicious.

“Alright, little girl: What do you want?” he said skeptically and narrowed his eyes at Yunjae. I mean, their communication did get better, but this hadn’t happened before.

“What? Nothing, oppa. Just eat those. I made them myself,” said Yunjae. Turning the slightest shade of pink.

But Hyukjae wouldn’t touch his food. He just stared at Yunjae and she felt like he was digging a hole right through her soul.

“Alright! Fine,” said Yunjae, giving up on the staring contest. “Some friends invited me to go shopping later today. I was gonna ask you if I could come along.”

“Where are you going shopping?” asked Hyukjae.

“In Hongdae.”

“What for?”

“The prom?”

“Prom? Who’s your date?”

Yunjae shuffled uncomfortably in her seat. “I… I don’t have any… I thought you won’t approve.”

Hyukjae just stared at her for a while then burst out laughing.

“Now that won’t be fair, would it? I mean, I got a date when I was in high school.”

Yunjae blinked. “You-You mean…”

“Ok, let’s clear up some stuff between us,” said Hyuk seriously. He gently pushed the breakfast aside and let Yunjae sot in front of him. He held her hands in his.

“When you were 14, I didn’t let go out with those girls because they go to clubs. I guess they haven’t been taught the right values. But anyway, it’s also the same reason why I didn’t let you get a boyfriend, besides the fact that you were just 14. Understand?”

Yunjae nodded.

“But now that you’re 17, I could be a lot less strict with you, on the conditions that you always tell me where you’re headed. I won’t stalk you, don’t worry. It’s just so I could come get you if there was any trouble. Get it?”

Yunjae nodded again, her eyes growing wider in hope and anticipation.

“And,” this last statement probably pains Hyuk, but it won’t be fair to Yunjae, “you may get yourself a guy. But I still get to meet him and I still get to have my say. Deal?”

In reply, Yunjae leapt up and wrapped her arms around Hyukjae.

“Thank you oppa! Thank you so much!”

Hyuk smiled and his beloved and only little sister’s hair.

“Anything for my princess.”

“I love you, oppa.”

“I love you too, Jae.”

THE END