Excuse Me?

My Oppa

 

Yunjae stared blankly at Hyukjae. Hyukjae eyes the mysterious stranger who appeared out of nowhere and tried to tackle him. Then he noticed that he may have winded her when he threw her down.

“Hey, I’m sorry lady. I was surprised by you. Are you hurt?” he said and offered his hand to help her up. Yunjae ignored it and just continued to staring at him. It became very awkward to Hyukjae so he withdrew his hand slowly.

“Ok then. I guess I’ll be going now,” he said awkwardly and began to walk away. Suddenly he felt something cling to him. He looked to see the strange girl hanging onto his jeans and her eyes were filled with tears.

“Oppa… Hyukjae oppa…” she whimpered.

“How do you know my name?” said Hyukjae. “Who are you?”

“Hyukjae oppa, you can’t forget me… I’m Yunjae! You’re little sister!” cried Yunjae, tugging at the jeans tighter.

“I-I have a little sister?” He looked down at her. “You’re my little sister?”

Yunjae nodded. Hyukjae sat down in front of her. Yunjae started rambling on.

“I’m your little sister, Lee Yunjae. Our parents died when you were just 12 and I was just 9. You’ve taken care of me ever since. Once I painted on my bedroom wall and you got mad at me for it, but sometime later I saw it on your desktop background. Yes, I went into your room, Silver, and that’s when I saw it.”

Hyukjae still stared passively at her, as if she was out of her mind. But it intrigued him to listen to her. Yunjae went on.

“Remember my sixth birthday?  That was the first time you introduced me to Building Sticks. Every day we played after that, I always beat you. It was funny. It was the only thing, aside from art, that I could be better than you. Besides that, you brought home all the other awards: academics, athlete of the year, science whiz, etc. It was annoying, really, but I really admired you. Honestly.”

Still no response from Hyuk, but Yunjae won’t back down. She’s been through a lot just to get here, and she won’t easily let Hyuk leave and forget her.

“You loved me oppa. I know you do. You stayed home to take care of me when you could be in Yonsei now. Please, oppa… If you ever did love me, remember me now,” pleaded Yunjae as her eyes sprung new tears.

But to Hyuk, none of what she said reminded him that this girl was his sister. Every time she spoke, he felt something in him stir, but it wasn’t enough.

“I… I’m sorry… I really can’t remember, if there really is anything to remember. I’m sorry.” 

Yunjae broke down in sobs, and all Hyukjae could do was stare back at her.

Why, oppa, why? Why can’t you remember?