A Typical Day

My Oppa

 

“Oppa!!!!”

That shrill shriek is usually the first thing the people in the neighborhood heard in the morning, and it’s already their wake-up call. Other variations are: “Aaaaaah!!” “Stop it!!!” “Aish!!”

It belonged to the younger half of the Lee siblings: Lee Yunjae.

Yunjae and her brother have been living (and coping) with each other ever since their parents passed away. But even for the sake of their dead parents, they hardly get along. Their neighbors will tell you that.

On this particular morning, they were supposed to visit their parents in the cemetery. Let’s find out if they’ll ever get to leave the house. I mean, of course they will or there’ll be no story.

“Hyukjae oppa why did you burn my toast?! I told you I don’t want it that way!” complained Yunjae.

“Why, you ungrateful little-!” said Hyukjae, then took calming breaths. “Fine, just get new ones.”

Yunjae glared at her brother before storming off to the fridge. Hyukjae sighed.

“Sometimes I wonder if you always have your so-called monthly period,” he muttered.

“I heard that!”

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

Finally, after what seemed like hours, the Lee siblings were ready to leave the house. Yunjae was in a short-sleeved top and a short skirt. Hyukjae almost sent her back to her room until she reasoned that she will wear Converse to make for her “skimpy” stuff.

“At least wear a jacket or something. You might catch a cold,” said Hyukjae.

Yunjae didn’t move. Hyukjae narrowed his eyes at his sister as he grew impatient at her passiveness.

“Yah, we won’t leave until you get something to cover your shoulders with. Either that or you wear jeans,” said Hyukjae in a tone that he used when Yunjae wouldn’t listen. Which was often.

Yunjae shot another glare at her older brother and stormed off to her room to get a cardigan. Hyukjae had a thought.

‘Funny, why does it seem like I saw her do that once before? Twice? Three times? Oh, hang it all, everyday!’ thought Hyukjae.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

It’s always been like this ever since their parents died. Sometimes, Hyukjae doesn’t mind that Yunjae doesn’t listen to him. He’s extra considerate on those days. But most of the time, he complains to the skies why it took their parents too early. Why did it not wait until both of them had their own families?  Don’t get me wrong: Hyukjae loves his little sister more than he loves himself. That is the very reason he takes care of her instead of leaving her to some distant relative. He is worried that they might mistreat her there, and when they do he will be too far to help. Hyukjae abolished his dreams of going to a boarding school for college to take care of Yunjae. It was fortunate of them that their parents were rather rich. They were well provided for by the will.

Yunjae, on the other hand, doesn’t really appreciate the existence of her older brother. Ever since mommy and daddy died, he became more restrictive and he disapproved of her staying out too late. He even scrutinizes her friends and doesn’t like it when boys come over their house. He’s even worse than umma! Deep down, Yunjae does love her brother and she knows that he only does what he does to protect her. But still!

So these are the Lee siblings: Lee Hyukjae, the elder, and Lee Yunjae, the younger.