chapter 05

Hearts at Odds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"Where to this time?"

Baekhyun leaving home with a luggage is not uncommon. He's in and out of town frequently due to the nature of his job. He has to be onsite to oversee the projects or photoshoots.

Don in a plain white tee, a hoodie hangs on his arm as he wheels the luggage out, he stops to answer Taeyeon's queries.

"The moon."

Half the time she asks this question, she receives nonsensical answers.

"See you on the news, I guess." Rolling her eyes, she gets back to her work on hand.

"Nami Island."

Now, this place sounds more realistic for humans than the moon. Envy finds its way to her eyes. It's one of the most beautiful season to visit Nami Island. Cherry blossoms will be painting the landscape with a fleeting beauty that captivates hearts.

Taeyeon is nonchalant about the places he travels to for work. However, Nami Island feels ideal a short getaway, especially with the favourable weather.

Baekhyun continues to stand still at his track instead of putting on his shoes. He gazes silently at her typing diligently on her laptop.

She must have sensed someone staring into her soul. Why is Byun Baekhyun not leaving yet?

She turns away from her screen, asking with her eyes if he needs anything from her.

"Do you want to come along?"

"Huh? Me?"

"Who else is in this house?"

"Zero."

"It's a no pets hotel."

"But if I go..."

"Pets hotels exist."

Their stares are magnetic, each pair drawing the other into a wordless exchange. A subtle perplexity knit on Taeyeon's brows. She's confused with Baekhyun's earnest invitation to Nami Island. Why the sudden enthusiasm? His eyes are unfortunately one of the hardest to decipher.

"So do you want to come along?" Baekhyun repeats the question.

"How long are you there for?"

"Two days one night."

"I can really come along?"

The temptation to tag along is burning ferociously. It's currently spring, which means Nami Island should be covered in pink canopies and petals. It's so pretty, she wants to enjoy that scenery.  

"Woman, my car is coming in ten minutes." He points to the clock on the wall. He tries to control his temper because this is definitely a last minute invitation. He barely gave her any information as well.

"How can I pack in ten minutes?"

"Then pack now? Who are you going to impress there anyway?"

A disapproving click of the tongue from Taeyeon speaks volumes without uttering a single word.

She succumbs to temptation and hurriedly heads back to her room to get a couple of simple summer dresses. There's no time for trying on each outfit and organising them for the days for this impromptu adventure. Baekhyun might erupt and change his mind to leave her at home.

In a flurry of urgency, she grabs whatever essentials that are at the top of her mind from the bathroom, and tosses the dresses and cardigan in her bag.

It almost slipped her mind that she can't leave in these home clothes. She deftly slips into a dress like a fleeting shadow. She can say she did tried her very best to get ready under pressure and urgency.

She steps out of the room in a pretty floral maxi dress. This is one of her favourite dresses where it's at the perfect length and it's comfortable.

She sees her laptop on the table and remembers she has to bring it. That's the most important thing.

Finally done with her bag, she cautiously request Baekhyun for help. "Do you mind... The button behind."

Understanding the task, he completes it with a silent grace, executing it a gentle finesse.

Unknown to Taeyeon, this particular dress that she had just thrown onto herself in a haste, is also one of Baekhyun's favourite on her. It makes her look like a garden fairy. If he has the option to keep her in his pocket, he will.

No audible cues were made, but he is swooning over her on the inside of his rapidly beating heart.

What the ? Calm down.

She thank him almost in a whisper and takes quick steps to the shelves of shoes to put her sneakers on. She figures out that she will be walking around the island so a comfortable pair of shoes is an essential.

As she is busy wearing her shoes, Baekhyun puts the leash on Zero and puts her bag above his luggage. He then opens the door for them.

They make their way to the elevators where Taeyeon gets the greatest shock of her life as she sees her reflection.

"Oh my god, I look like a mad woman," she mutters under her breath. She didn't have time to tidy her hair. It's clipped with a claw clip.

She releases the clip to let her hair down, then grabs the top half of her hair and clip it neatly instead.

Contrary to what she described herself, Baekhyun is admiring her beauty at the side. She looks fine honestly. He doesn't understand why she thinks she looks crazy.

Taeyeon is glad she did not hold Baekhyun or the driver back. Just as they reached the lobby, the car arrived.

After they dropped Zero off, the actual journey to Nami Island takes approximately an hour and a half.

The fact that she is drowned by a mountain of emails annoys her. It's so miserable to be working while you're on a trip. Neither is Baekhyun spared from the hustle. The amount of calls he has been receiving through the journey is insane.

On the surface level, it's pretty admirable that Baekhyun is indifferent about the places he go to, perhaps because he's solely thinking about work.

 

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

 

It has been years since Taeyeon visited Nami Island. It has c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter