chapter 01

Hearts at Odds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It has been a week since she found out she is expecting a child. His child.

Taeyeon barely remembers how she ended up in bed with a man she only knew from that horrendous night. The only helpful thing she recalls is they exchanged names. It did not take her long to find out who on earth Byun Baekhyun is and locate him.

Ringing the renowned company for the nth time only to get a reply from the voicemail, she finally gives up.

Clad in a white top and an ankle length black pants, she ends it off the look with a pair of oxford shoes. It's her staple partying outfit, just lighter make up during work.

Hoping that he will be in his office, Taeyeon has applied for a half day leave and drive her way down to his workplace.

The hustle and bustle of the central business district is coming back to life during the lunch hour. There are multiple buildings that soared up high like a sky scraper and their glass facade reflected the sun rays in all directions. However, she only has her attention on the building Baekhyun is in-charge of.

Please be manageable. Please.

As expected, Baekhyun's assistant is a tough hurdle to jump over. It takes Taeyeon almost her entire lifetime of energy to get through the stuck up assistant who insists that she can meet the CEO of the firm only if she made an appointment.

Sensing that a figure is standing in front of his desk, Baekhyun shifts his attention from his documents to the lady. He gestures for his assistant who is freaking out beside Taeyeon to exit his office.

There is no clear signs of surprise or annoyance on his face, but he is trying to identify who this random lady who just barged into his office is.

Why is she pissed at me when I should be the one?

"You are?"

He has the audacity to ask who I am? Probably had countless of one night stands to even remember me.

"Kim Taeyeon. The person you had a one night stand with almost three weeks ago."

Oh, that lady at that club. "So, how can I help you?"

"I'm pregnant."

If Baekhyun says what he heard did not put him in a state of shock, he would be lying. But he sustains his calm composure. "I know I embody the perfect guy image, but this isn't the way to make me yours."

"Marry me."

"How are you even sure I am the father?" He looks at her incredulously.

"It... It was my first time..." Taeyeon chokes on her words, unable to complete her sentence clearly but loudly enough for Baekhyun to hear.

What the ?

"Come back with the DNA report and we will see."

She takes out a small zip lock bag with a cotton bud in it from her bag and passed it to Baekhyun. Noticing the confused look that etches on his face, she explains, "collecting your DNA."

He is amazed at how prepared she came. Nonetheless, he does what he is told. After receiving what she needs, no more words are exchanged between them and Baekhyun sees her back leaving his office. He informs his secretary right after Taeyeon left to allow her to meet him without an appointment.

 

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

 

It is a little more than a month later, they get to see each other again. Taeyeon walks into Baekhyun's office and throws the envelop on his desk, settling on the couch after, with her arms crossed. He frowns at her as he looks away from his screen.

"That's very impolite," he comments with a hint of anger. She gives him an eye roll in response.

The long awaited big revelation is finally here. He gingerly opens the envelop to take the report out. His eyes are scanning every single line carefully up till the last line that states 'DNA match: 99.9%'.

Taeyeon sees how his eyes widened at the percentage, she utters, "I'm never going to abort this child."

How can one ever have the heart to take away an innocent life? It was the adults' silly mistake that this child is here.

"Okay, so what do you want me to do?"

"Useless jerk," she mumbles under her breath.

"Hey Miss Kim, you are at fault for this too." He hears her.

"Like I said, take the responsibility and marry me."

"Isn't that too suspicious?"

"Do we have a choice?" Knowing her family and probably his too, will surely be disappointed in them if they know the truth behind their sudden marriage.

"In fact, we do."

Taeyeon turns her head sharply to stare at him, anger seething through her crown. "What?"

"How much do you want?"

In distress by the answer, she runs her fingers through her hair, exhaling a deep sigh. "Money isn't the problem!"

"Then what is?" Baekhyun might have raised his voice a little too loudly, scaring the lady before his eyes.

Stumbling with her words, she stutters, "I...I am not aborting the child..." Her voice dwindles towards the end.

The enclosed room is masked in silence, the air charges with a palpable tension. The two figures are locked in a silent exchange, their gazes intertwining with a weighty contemplation, as if carrying the gravity of unshared burdens.

Baekhyun releases a deeply stressed sigh. As the breath is exhaled, it feels laden with the weight of responsibilities and concerns of their careless mistake that night.

I have a child, and I am responsible for its life now. What went into your head that night? He chides himself internally.

"If I don't marry you?"

Taeyeon allows herself to internalise his question. No matter how hard she tries to process and evaluate what can be the best words to answer him, nothing seems to come into mind. That's when she realises, she has yet to have a backup plan for his rejection.

"Hmm?" He hums to prompt her.

In the nervous response, her voice quivers, "I haven't ha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter