chapter 03

Hearts at Odds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

When morning comes, the disruptive blaring of the alarm from Baekhyun's phone jars the two figures out of their peaceful sleep. He releases his arms from Taeyeon, turning his body away from her to smash the stop button.

Taeyeon stirs on the bed, slowly peeling her eyelids open. "Shut it," she mumbles.

"Woman, do you know where are you?" He rolls his eyes as he enters his bathroom to the retrieve his bathrobe.

Her eyes are fully opened by now as she tries to register where the voice is coming from, and what is Baekhyun doing.

"What are you doing here?" She gasps in disbelief, pulling the comforter up to cover her exposed body.

"This is my room. Get out."

Again? What on earth went into our minds last night?

She hurriedly scrambles out of the bed with the blanket still wrapped around her body, her legs taking flight back to her room. This is too embarrassing.

"That's my blanket!" Baekhyun raises his voice at her.

"You... you..." She pauses, unable to find a suitable answer because she indeed took his blanket.

"You snore loudly!" She throws whatever that comes to mind.

"You grind your teeth! So freaking noisy."

"I hate you!"

"I hate you too, idiot. Get out now."

During breakfast, the inner furnace in Taeyeon is fuelled by frustration and resentment. She warms up the milk from the refrigerator to pour into her bowl of cereal. As she lets her cereal cool down, she puts on her working clothes and do her make up.

She is looking forward to her breakfast only to be welcome by a bowl of empty cereal.

"Did you eat my breakfast?" As Taeyeon interrogates the culprit sitting gleefully at the dining table, her eyes blaze with intensity that will scorch everything in her gaze.

"Oh? It wasn't for me?"

"Why would I make breakfast for you?" Her spoken words are infused with the heat of anger.

"This is my house."

"What does it have to do with you being the owner? I'm not here to serve you."

Her hands, clenched into fists before the slap lands on his cheek. She storms away, every step echoes with the cadence of her erupting anger.

The fun for Baekhyun has just begin. He knows she will leave the house right away. He steps out of the door simultaneously with her, intentionally bumping into her.

It's only the morning and Taeyeon is already sick and tired of all the annoying stunts Baekhyun has pulled on her. It's a bad day today.

The awkwardness between them is long gone when their daily routine goes on as per usual — their breakfast fights, door fights, and the elevator fights.

They go their separate ways to get to their cars. This is the only time they get the peace they want in life. No one is there to constantly throw hate at them, making life such a miserable one.

"I'm sorry. It's all because of us..." Taeyeon rubs her raised belly – a habit she starts to have when she notices her bump getting bigger. "You have to go through this. Thank you for staying strong in there. I love you," she smiles faintly, stepping on the gas and drives out of the carpark to her workplace.

As Taeyeon's car departs, Baekhyun traces its every move with an unwavering gaze until it diminishes into the distance. Apologetic feelings then linger in his gaze, leaving behind a residue of emotion in the vehicle.

The truth is, he wanted to stop the annoying alarm before she wakes up. But his attempt was a failure when he saw her fidget.

When he stared at part of the figure covered by the warm comforter, a crashing wave of guilt hit him right in the face. She looked completely vulnerable. Not because she was undressed, but because she resembles a porcelain doll, as if a poke on her arm can shatter her into pieces – physically, mentally and emotionally.

Her snow pale skin and discoloured lips made him want to transmit all the warmth conserved in him to her. If he had the courage, he would certainly force her to take a break from work to recuperate.

The slight quiver on her lips and fluttering eye lids informed him that she was about to be up. Hastily, he left the bed so she wouldn't catch him staring at her, leading to their stupid fights again.

Baekhyun recalled his mother's constant nagging about how Taeyeon can get very sensitive because of the changes in her body. He didn't mind a single bit that she was right here laying on his bed, and requested for the alarm to shut up. Heck, he would immediately baby her if she demanded. However, that damn ego in him instructed him to shoot her the attitude.

Watching how she anxiously covered her exposed body, he stifled a chortle. A scoff almost escaped when he heard her question why he was in the room with those bulging eyes.

My dear, you can stay in my room as long as you want was what he wanted to tell her. But the impulsive "get out!" rolled out instead. And once again, they welcomed their daily fights.

When Taeyeon scrambled out of the bed so quickly, he was worried-sick for her safety. He felt his heartbeat stopped at the moment when she nearly tripped over the large comforter that looked too heavy for her to lift by herself. If any mishaps had happened to her, he could endure the berate from their parents, but he might die from feeling utterly guilty because he knew she wanted to keep that child.

Baekhyun would of course want to pamper her by preparing breakfast and driving her to work. But every time they retaliate each other with insults, the neurons in his grey matter pushed him to attack her even more instead of stopping.

He however does not have a good reason to eat her breakfast. He simply wanted to pull a prank on her. Now that he recalls, it was dumb of him because he's letting a pregnant lady starve.

Despite all of that, he is constantly worrying about her safety especially when she wears heels to work. If she wanted to keep the child so badly, why is heels even an option?

 

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

 

Barely listening to his secretary's report of the meeting schedules, Baekhyun stares blankly at his black phone screen as though burning through the screen with his gaze can make Taeyeon appear right in his office.

The secretary notices his mind is floating everywhere else but anything he just stated, thus he calls him cautiously.

"Ah, yes. Do prepare the necessary materials before the meetings."

Left all alone with the four walls again, he run his slender fingers through his hair in frustration. Picking up a pencil from the side, he starts spinning it on the table aimlessly. Subconsciously, murmuring the words "Like... Don't like..."

"Who do you like or dislike?" A lively male's voice breaks Baekhyun out of his train of thoughts.

Baekhyun ignores the question. Instead, a quick emotionless glance is given to the figure walking in before focusing on the monitor's screen again. An evidently annoyed frown tugs on his face.

"I see someone showing signs of lovesickness," Minseok pulls a chair from the side and settle comfortably opposite Baekhyun.

"Stop it!" Clearly not in the mood to start this conversation. "Why are you here?"

"Lunch. But you're probably already full from thinking about Taeyeon."

With Baekhyun's current state of mind , this reply is undeserving of any worthy response except for an eye roll. No matter how much he feels like blowing up, he can't seem to get mad at Minseok because he stated the truth.

"If you don't want to officially claim her as yours, there's a never-ending queue waiting to chase her. She's beautiful, she's kind, she's –"

"She's officially, and legally married to me. And she's also carrying my child." Suddenly feeling threatened, Baekhyun's eyes are shooting daggers right into Minseok's mouth. A crashing wave of possessiveness over Taeyeon slaps his mind awake.

A smirk is visibly painted on Minseok's face. "Does she occupy your mind every single second? Do you feel sparks in your soul whenever you're around her?"

Baekhyun's lips is shut tight.

"Do you find yourself wanting to sacrifice everything you have for her happiness?"

"Do you feel that spark even when you witness all her flaws?"

"If it's a yes to all the questions, you have just answered your own question. You do like her. Or maybe falling in love."

Baekhyun remains silent. His gaze fixates at the male opposite him, allowing

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter