john f. kennedy

hey, soul sister
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

In the demon king's office, the air conditioner runs loud; three sweaty demons find themselves arguing, with Sana's hands in her hair overwhelmed with confusion and joy--both literally and emotionally.

"Wendy's soul spat out a little fragment and now it's gone. What the hell is going on?" Yeri wonders, pacing the floor. Joy feels dizzy just looking at her.

"Who cares, it also spat out Momo," Sana says, not looking up from her spot on the sofa, eyes trained on a white feather she spins back and forth between her thumb and index. 

"Yeah, who's now an angel!" Sooyoung yells with a hint of betrayal. It's no secret that the king of hell has a bad relationship with angels and now that one of her demons has joined their ranks? She doesn't know what to make of it.

Sana shakes her head and tosses a pleading look to the king who's leaning against the edge of her desk across the room. "We're in over our heads. I think we should ask heaven--"

Joy leans forward to straighten herself and interrupts her with a pointed finger and a snarl, "You're an engineer, don't go making political suggestions."

"Well, maybe Momo could talk to them if you're too scared to," Sana quips back with a casually shrugging shoulder.

"Excuse me?"

Yeri stops her pacing and teleports to stand in between them, raising her palms on both hands in an attempt to hamper a potential fight. "Stop it guys, this is getting nowhere." She throws a firm look to Joy and says, "Unnie, you should go pop in to check on Wannie. I'll stay here."

The air conditioner creaks in the short silence that follows.

"Are you sure?" Sooyoung asks, not hiding her hesitance. While she trusts Yeri to handle hell completely, she herself doesn't know what to do in this case and she doesn't want to leave the younger to deal with it by herself.

"Yes, go. It's fine, I got this."

A beat passes as Joy considers Yeri's determined expression and nods shortly. "Okay."

 

***

 

"What are you doing? Stop loitering around. Save a life or something!" Joohyun yells at a group of doctors blocking the entrance to the emergency room.

She brushes past them before they can even scramble away, heading straight to the desk to see Seulgi staring at her, pausing her conversation with a receptionist with black bangs.

"Unnie, you can't talk to interns that way," Seulgi says sliding over to her side, one hand leaning on the counter and the other chidingly on her hip.

"Seulgi," Joohyun says in surprise. "What are you doing here?"

The younger her head and as if it's the most obvious thing in the world, she says, "Uh... Working?" 

"I thought you had a day off."

"Yeah..." Seulgi trails off in confusion. "That was yesterday. Have you been here the whole time?"

Joohyun doesn't say anything and is given a chart from the woman at the counter, not even sparing her a glance as she absentmindedly looks through the pages. 

"Unnie, are you okay? Did something happen with Seungwan?"

At the sound of her name, Joohyun scoffs, scowling down at the pages. "Why does my mood have to revolve around Seungwan?"

Seulgi blinks in surprise at her tone and shakes her head. "It doesn't," Seulgi says slowly. "But she told me--"

Joohyun drops the chart to the counter and whips her head to Seulgi. "What? What did she tell you?" Joohyun demands, stepping closer to the girl. "Why is she acting like this?"

"Huh? No, she just told me that you guys kissed." Joohyun deflates at the information, disappointed. "I expected to see you all bright and cheery but..."

"But what?" Joohyun scowls, souring at some kind of implication that Seungwan indeed does dictate the way Joohyun's mood fluctuates.

Seulgi clears . "What happened?"

"I thought Seungwan told you," Joohyun mocks, crossing her arms.

Seulgi huffs in annoyance at Joohyun's attitude. "Unnie stop. I don't know why you're acting like this but it's not fair to me or to those interns for you to put your anger onto. We're doctors. We're not teenagers anymore."

Joohyun looks away feeling guilty for lashing out. "Sorry," she mumbles.

"I forgive you. Now, I have a surgery, but we'll talk later? I'll bring doughnuts!"

 

***

"Hey unnie, what's new?" Joy asks, appearing in an unfamiliar room. She looks around, seeing a piano and Seungwan's songwriting book on her lap.

Wendy doesn't turn around, playing some chords experimentally. "Apparently, the hospital's broke and targetting innocent soulless people to exploit money from," she says offhandedly and hums a melody, scribbling something in her book.

"Okay...Did something happen with Joohyun?" Joy asks as she takes a seat on the nearest chair, pulling a leg over the other and clasping her hands together. 

Wendy's finger slips and she plays an off note accidentally. She chucks a glance over her shoulder before quickly returning to the piano. "Huh? How'd you know?"

"Nevermind," Joy quickly says and wants to say something but the other beats her to it.

"Hey, Yeri said something yesterday, I was wondering if you could explain it."

"What is it?"

The singer draws back her hands slowly and turns around on her seat, placing her book on the keyboard. "Well, she seemed like she had something important to say about my soul but didn't really explain it."

Joy is silent for a moment as she lets Wendy stare at her expectantly before she huffs and throws up her h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter