entirely, really

hey, soul sister
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The first time Seungwan got into a relationship, it ended as quickly as it started--because of one, Bae Joohyun. 

Well, it wasn't her fault, entirely. Joohyun didn't technically do anything, really. 

"You should break up with him," she'd told the younger girl during one of their free periods together.

They were seated by the bleachers, watching the soccer team captain practising on the field. Well, Joohyun was watching Seungwan watch him.

"Huh?" Seungwan said, dazed and shifted her gaze to the senior. 

"Lee Taeyong," Joohyun muttered with a slight disgust. 

"Unnie, we haven't even kissed yet."

"Good." Joohyun's clipped tone made Seungwan frown, reconsidering her whole love life in mere moments. It was incredible how Joohyun made Seunwan's brain accelerate just like that. Her thoughts expanded, pinching at her insecurities; was she too ugly to be in a relationship? Would she make a bad girlfriend? A bad kisser? "You should value yourself," Joohyun blurted out the first thing she could think of and immediately cringed mentally.

Seungwan pouted then and turned back to the chemistry homework she should've been doing the whole time. "It's not like I'm going to commit a sin, Joohyun unnie..."

The older stared at the workbook in Seungwan's lap, seeing how she'd basically wasted all her free time ogling some guy. She then turned to her own homework with a frown. Seungwan was supposed to help her study for her English exam that was next period. 

English was never her strong suit and Joohyun could not fail this exam, if she wanted to get that scholarship to med school. There was only one spot and the sponsors were eyeing Joohyun... And Lee Taeyong of all people (because of course). 

Joohyun wasn't jealous! Why would you think that? She just didn't like this Lee Taeyong character because his athleticism somehow got him considered for the most prestigious medicine scholarship in Seoul. Like seriously, just because he can kick a ball, doesn't mean he can save a life. As the student body president, Joohyun knows where Taeyong lies in the academic rankings. And trust her when she says she was not impressed. (Seungwan could tutor him as much as she'd like, he was a lost cause).

"You should find someone who can treat you better," Joohyun said, pretending to revise her vocabulary, but every time she saw the letter 'T', she thought of that guy. And why did the English language have so many words where 'T' was put with 'S' or 'W' so often? 

Unconsciously, Joohyun tried to think of a word that started with 'J' and ended in 'S'.

"Gays," Joohyun said out loud in the foreign language.

"What?" 

"That starts with a 'J' right?" She asked and Seungwan tilted her head confusedly, in that puppy-like way that made Joohyun strangely warm. 

"It's a 'G'." The Canadian shook her head and leaned closer to inspect Joohyun's page. "Are you doing homonyms?" She asked in English.

"Homo--Homo--What?" Joohyun sputtered, she didn't know exactly what Seungwan said, but she recognised the first half pretty well. 

"It's when they sound the same but have different meanings," Seungwan replied. 

"Oh right," Joohyun swallowed, blinking rapidly. Since when did she get flustered so easily? That was Seungwan's thing, not hers. The more she hung out with the Canadian, Joohyun thought to herself, the more she felt herself acting strangely and she didn't know why. "We covered that last week."

Seungwan hummed and slid across the seat, going shoulder-to-shoulder with the other girl. "What's your test on, again?" 

Joohyun felt pleased for the rest of the period, as Seungwan didn't once look up to the field again. Her gaze was solely on Joohyun and her work. Oh right, gaze. A homonym. 'G'. Not a 'J'.

Later in her test, Joohyun saw the word 'joys' and smiled, circling it as an answer despite not reading the question. When she was reviewing her work before submitting

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter