Lavish

Horn of Plenty
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wheein’s POV

 

The sting on my lap still tells me that everything was real but how can I work that way? To know that Yongsun-unnie is courting me and that’s real is too much for my feeble brain to handle. So I convinced myself that I was just daydreaming and carried on with work.

I guess work caught up with me that it was the only thing I thought of. I didn’t even realize that it was already five and Seulgi-unnie was already calling it a day.

“I’ll go ahead, Wheein”

“Okay… Just finishing something” I mumbled without losing my concentration.

I probably stayed a few minutes over five just to finish my project. I saved my work and decided to refine the details tomorrow. I stood up to stretch my body and groan the strain out.

Ailee-unnie caught me in the middle of my stretch when she walked out of her office. “It’s way past five, Wheein. Why are you still here?”

“I just finished something, unnie”

“You can do that tomorrow. Go home”

“I am!” I laughed. “Just packing up”

“Okay… You too, Jioh. Nothing’s urgent and we’re still on track”

“I’m already fixing my things, unnie”

“Well, I’ll go ahead of you”

“Bye, unnie” Jioh and I said.

I dumped my phone and wallet in my bag and made sure that all my equipment was shut down properly before I moved out of my station.

“Hey, Wheein-unnie. Didn’t you say you wanted samgyeopsal earlier? A friend of mine is opening a samgyeopsal restaurant just a few minutes walk from the company. Do you want to try? She’s offering my first meal to be free. Don’t worry, yours will be too since you’re with me”

I smiled at Jioh’s excitement and a free meal will definitely hype me up.

She sensed my response already and was smiling hard back at me. “You in?”

“Free meal? Of course, I’m in!”

She squealed and rushed to hold my hand. “Let’s go, unnie. I’m already hungry!” Then she dragged me out of our office.

We’re laughing like teens just because of a free meal. Who wouldn’t?

“Unnie, I promise you it’ll be delicious. I’ve tried it once from her other branch—”

As we stepped out of the door, I caught sight of Yongsun-unnie standing idly outside by the door. She was leaning on the corridor but instantly smiled and stood straight when she saw me. But her face fell when her eyes landed on mine and Jioh’s intertwined fingers.

I immediately pulled my hand from Jioh’s hold and opened my mouth to explain to Yongsun-unnie what was going on but my voice got stuck. I didn’t know how I’d be able to speak when she’s clearly disappointed.

She really was waiting for me.

It was real! What happened earlier, it was real!

“Oh…” she whispered dumbfoundedly. “I ah… hmm…”

She, too, was speechless and my stupid mind could only shake my head to deny. What am I even denying?

“Yongsun-unnie, hi!” Jioh greeted.

Yongsun-unnie forced a smile towards her. “Hi, Jioh. You and Wheein going somewhere?”

“Yes, unnie! My friend opened a samgyeopsal restaurant just near here. I’m taking Wheein-unnie there”

“Ah, I see…”

Something inexplicably sharp stabbed my chest hearing the disappointment in her voice.

“Do you want to join us, unnie? Don’t worry, it’s free since you’re coming with me”

“Oh, no. Thank you. You and Wheein enjoy your meal. I just ah…” She glanced at me for a second before looking anywhere else as she cleared . “I’ll see you around, I guess…”

Her shoulders sank as she walked towards the direction of her office.

I watched her with a pout and wanted to follow her but then, Jioh held my hand again and urged me to walk. My eyes stayed on Yongsun-unnie’s back and before I could change my mind, I held back Jioh to stop us from walking.

“Something wrong, unnie? Did you leave something in the office?”

“No. Jioh, I’d love to go with you but I forgot that I have something else to do. I’m really sorry. But thank you for making me tag along with you. And please go to your friend’s restaurant. I know it’ll mean a lot to her if she sees you there”

The excitement was also gone on her face. Although I felt bad that I got Jioh disappointed, it was a whole different feeling when the disappointment was clear on Yongsun-unnie’s face.

“Are you sure?”

“Yes. I’m really sorry, Jioh”

“No, it’s fine, unnie. Maybe we can go there next time with the rest of the department. I told Ailee-unnie about it earlier and she said she’ll definitely plan a meal with all of us”

“Then I look forward to that”

She was back to smiling again, which made me relieved. “Me too”

I hugged Jioh goodbye before I headed to Yongsun-unnie’s office. When I was sure that Jioh got inside the elevator already, I took off running to Yongsun-unnie’s office. I was right on time to see her coming out of her department office.

“Yongsun-unnie!” I called and stopped short in front of her, startling her. “I’m sorry”

“Aren’t you going with Jioh?” She glanced towards the corridor where I came from. “Where’s Jioh?”

“I’m not coming with her anymore”

A tiny smile curved her lips as she faced me again. “Yeah?”

“I’m sorry. I thought I was just daydreaming earlier so I agreed to go with her. It was real, wasn’t it?”

She held my cheek for a second, making me blush. Then she grabbed my hand and held it tightly, making me blush some more. “It was”

“Yeah…” I gulped hard, darting my eyes downward because she had me flustered.

The laugh that bubbled out of her chest indeed made me red but it also warms my heart. I missed her. I missed hearing her laugh. I missed her careful and gentle touches as well. I missed everything about her.

“Wheein?”

I gathered my eyes back to hers and my lips slightly pouted at the anxiousness I could see in her eyes. “Yes, unnie?”

“This is real, right?” she asked while squeezing my hand.

It was my turn to reassure her.

“Yes, unnie”

We both smiled as we stared at each other. I was blushing while her cheeks were puffy, our eyes glimmering with happiness. Then giggles erupted from both of us before she wrapped me in a hug. I buried my face on her neck, lavishing on her warmth and scent.

 

*****

 

Despite being on the same page, we were both awkward. I could barely talk and so was Yongsun-unnie. Knowing how we both feel towards each other was something new to us. I do not know the extent of her feelings but I know she has great intentions. And I think she might feel the same way as I do.

Contrary to my high expectations, Yongsun-unnie drove me straight to my apartment. She didn’t take me out to dinner nor even attempted to ask me. It’s probably this blanket of awkwardness that fell on us that made her think otherwise.

She stopped the car right in front of my apartment building. “Here, you are. I ah… I also want to drive you to work tomorrow. I hope that’s fine with you”

“Yes, unnie”

“Thank you.” She sighed as if she expected me to say no to her.

I was disappointed at the turn of events. I didn’t want a lot of things to happen but I missed unnie. I was hoping she would want to spend more time with me as much as I wanted to with her.

“I should head now. Good night, unnie”

“You too, Whee. Good night”

I glanced at her for a second, hoping she would take it back but she was just waiting for me with a smile. I smiled back before unbuckling my seatbelt.

I stepped out of her car and my heart felt so heavy. I didn’t want to say goodbye yet or see her off. And somehow, that urged me to be so brave. If unnie initiated courting me, maybe I should start initiating too.

Yeah, that’s right. She should not be the only one planning and taking that step forward.

Before I closed the door, I glanced back at her again and said, “Do you want to head up, unnie?”

Her eyebrows shot up at my question and her reaction made me slightly hesitate.

“I’ll cook for us. Just a small dinner if that’s fine with you, unnie” I hurriedly added out of panic.

“Why don’t you go ahead while I park the car?”

I appear so composed but the moment I was out of Yongsun-unnie’s sight, I panicked. I ran up to my room because what’s the point of elevators when you have the stairs? And punched in my code twice because I got it wrong the first time.

I just threw my bag on the couch and rummaged in my fridge with whatever I could cook for two. And what's inside my fridge is not much. There’s pickled radish and kimchi that Mom personally made for me. There’s leftover stew I had last night. I have eggs, a couple side dishes, and pork belly waiting to be cooked.

“Oh…” I groaned, “I knew this was a bad idea”

I ran back to my bag to grab my phone. The best option right now is to order food. Yongsun-unnie will definitely get here before the food but a headstart is good. I can make drinks and I also have fruits to entertain Yongsun-unnie while waiting.

The ringing of the doorbell made me scream and I hurriedly held my lips as if I’ll get scolded.

“Whee? You in there?”

I immediately ran to get the door, almost tripping by myself. A rush of air hit me with how I forcefully pulled my door open.

Yongsun-unnie smiled the moment she saw me. “Hi”

“Hi” I awkwardly responded.

We stayed there by the doorway, staring at each other. Or rather, I was too disoriented at what I have to say that I only blinked at Yongsun-unnie. A smile was growing at her face, understanding my internal turmoil.

She laughed while I pouted at her. “Are we just supposed to stand here?”

“No. Sorry.” I opened the door wider and invited her in. “We just have to wait for the food”

“Let me help you cook. I’m not good but I can help”

“Oh, no. I ended up ordering, unnie. I am too unprepared for tonight. I’m sorry”

“It’s fine.”

She stood awkwardly in the living room, surveying my house. I rubbed my cheek from being too conscious of my place under her gaze.

“I’m sorry about my place. I haven’t cleaned yet, unnie”

“No, it’s fine. Your place is neat. Just like how it was the first time I was here” she said, making me confused. “May I sit on the couch?”

“Please… And when were you…” I stopped myself, blood rushing to my cheeks when I realized something. I looked away when she gave me a knowing smile.

I was saved by the door bell ringing. I was startled once again but was relieved while Yong-unnie just giggled, definitely having fun.

“That must be the food. I’ll just…” I rushed to the door, Yongsun-unnie’s laugh teasing me down the hallway.

I thanked the delivery man and brought the food to my living room. “Will it be okay with you, unnie, if we’ll eat in the living room? I prefer to actually eat here. Only used the dining table when my parents are here or other visitors”

“Of course. Come here. Let me help unpack”

Only the rustling of plastic and the clinking of kitchen wares could be heard. While Yongsun-unnie was unpacking the food containers out of the plastic bags, I brought utensils from my kitchen. I was about to sit across from her but unnie patted the space beside her, inviting me to sit there. I was blushing once again when I took a seat right close to her.

While preparing, I took the opportunity to ask about the time that I got drunk in Hyoyeon-unnie’s bar. I was a little shy broaching the subject but this has bothered me ever since.

“Unnie,” I started, “can I ask you something?”

“Yup”

“Were you the one who drove me home when I got drunk at Hyo-unnie’s bar?”

“She told you that?”

“No. I just figured it out,” I smiled sheepishly while Yong-unnie laughed and pinched my cheek.

She suddenly pulled me to her and I thought she’d kiss me but she only snuggled her nose on my cheek. But it still made my heart stop and my entire body warmed up from the feeling of her.

“Aren’t you too smart, my Wheenie?”

My Wheeinie…

I… I have no words. No thoughts. She said she wanted to court me and I thought I’m done at that time. This will be the second time and oh my… I didn’t think it'd be this overwhelming.

“It’s way too easy, unnie. You’re the only one who knows Hyoyeon-unnie’s bar. I don’t need to guess it that much” I managed to answer.

“I see… Should we eat now?”

“Yes, please”

During dinner, she was too caring. She was already before but her attention to me now intensified. She’d drop a slice of pork on my bowl. She’d feed me and would then laugh at seeing my red face. She’d ask me what I wanted when I was supposed to accommodate her as I was the one who invited her here.

“Have you been eating junk since you transferred to Ailee-unnie’s department?”

I watched her grab a leaf and place only a single piece of meat on it. It’s even a small one. Then she stuffed it in with pickled radish, carrots, and kimchi before sealing the wrap.

I’m afraid that’s going into my mouth.

“No…”

She definitely noticed the hesitation in my voice when she gave me a questioning look.

“No?”

I gulped hard and said again, “No.” I still sounded unsure.

I watched the wrap fly to my mouth and stayed idly, waiting for its landing destination. I pouted at her.

“Unnie…”

“Open up.” She’s using her leader voice and I obviously had no choice but to open my mouth.

I was sulking beside her as I chewed the wrap she fed me. She saw the face I made and laughed at me.

“Are you regretting this?” she asked.

My answer was obvious and I don’t have to think much about it.

“No. Are you?” I returned the question back to her.

“Me neither”

My frown was gone as we smiled at each other. She placed her arm around my shoulders and allowed me to lean on her. She asked me how my work was and asked me questions related to my comfort back in Ailee-unnie’s department. But when Jioh’s name was brought up, she had a sour face.

I laughed at her because her squishy cheeks have become squishier. “Unnie…” I took the liberty to place my hands on them and I almost thought that it was only my imagination when she closed her eyes, sighed, and got comfortable with my palms on her face. “Are you jealous of her?”

“You have no idea how badly I wanted to snatch you from her when she was always clinging to you. If only I didn't care about respecting your choice to transfer departments or being kind, I would've done bad things, Wheein. If only I don’t care about my image in the company or that she’s a few years younger than me. If only I don’t like you, I might put a word to the president so she wouldn’t be in the same department as you anymore, or worse, be in the same company”

Goosebumps covered my entire body and I wasn’t sure if it was because I was scared or aroused. Her face didn’t show any emotion so I guess she was serious with what she said. I am sure though that I was once again red.

“Unnie… You’re scary”

Her lips twitched before a smile broke out of her face. Then she was laughing so hard and I wasn’t sure if I could laugh with her. I am still scared by what she said earlier. She is such an influential person in the company that I wouldn’t doubt her capabilities of kicking Jioh out of the company.

“I’m just joking, Whee! You really think that I’m that bad? You give me no credit at all!”

“You could do it, unnie. And you were serious when you said it!”

She laughed. “I just wanted to tease you, Wheenie”

I watched her struggle to breathe as she laughed her heart out. She was already tearing up and unconsciously, I smiled just by simply watching her.

As she regained composure, she caught me staring and unlike before, I didn’t look away this time nor did I feel embarrassed. But she surprised me even more when she suddenly held my hand, making me glance down at our intertwined fingers. My smile got even bigger.

“Are you also joking when you said you were jealous of her?”

“No"

I was the one giggling this time. “Do you really like me that much?”

“It’s actually the other L word but I think it’s too early for that. After all, I’m still trying to court you” she teased back.

She said it so easily that I could only gasp at her.

She held my cheek and closed my gaping mouth. “Do you really not believe me?”

“You said my crush is silly?”

“It’s true! And who’s your crush?”

“You”

“Exactly.” She smiled haughtily. “But that’s fine. We’re here now”

“What would you do if I didn’t transfer, unnie?”

It seems that her actions were driven by her jealousy and my transferring. I am curious about a lot of things about why we’re here like now because she never showed any interest towards me.

“Give the position to Byulyi and then ask you out”

“But you love your position!”

“I was just willing to let go of it for more important things.” She squeezed my hand for emphasis and I was back to being covered in red. “It was not fun anymore being far from you”

“I’m sorry for transferring…”

“Don’t say that. I get to keep my position and pursue you so thank you”

“You really like me that much?”

There’s power and sincerity in her gaze as she answered me with a nod and I still could not believe how we’ve reached this situation.

I have always imagined us together in one of my daydreams but those lack the feel, emotions, and nervousness I have right now just by holding her hand and sitting this close to her. That tiny mole close to her eyebrow right now is much clearer. Her dimples are deeper. Her cheeks are softer and bouncier. She’s a whole lot prettier in this distance and I think I want to draw her.

“What are you thinking?” she asked.

I shook my head and remained silent. My thoughts may turn her off.

“Should we wash the dishes together?”

“Oh, no. I’ll deal with it, unnie”

She still sat up and started cleaning the table with me. “It’s no fun that way. And besides, it’s an excuse to stay close to you”

“I didn’t know you’re clingy, unnie. I am always afraid of getting close to you because you always set a distance”

While I was gathering the trash, she was walking back and forth from the living room to the couch to transfer used dishes.

“You were always so clingy to Byulyi but not to me, so I figured you didn’t want to deal with me”

“What!?” I stared at her in aghast before I frowned at her. “That makes sense now”

“I thought you didn’t like me, which was why I always settled with just patting your head or shoulder.” She pointed a finger at me when I joined her by the kitchen sink. “You weren’t also like that to me”

“Because I was scared of you”

“Are you still scared of me?”

“No… Maybe a little bit”

She stopped rinsing to frown at me and I panicked.

“No, no.” I waved my hands around, scattering soap everywhere. “Just scared of what you can actually do. I still believe you mean half of what you said about Jioh”

She finally laughed and I was relieved. “Maybe…” she teased.

We carried on with washing the dishes. She’d sometimes intentionally hit my arm with her elbow or stand closer to me so our arms and shoulders would touch. She is indeed clingy and it would erupt giggles from us.

“Can I ask you about the fruits, unnie?”

“Sure”

“Why have you started giving it to me?”

“To stop you from eating junk”

“Is that why you asked me about fruits before?”

“Yup. I asked Yonghee-unnie, my older sister, to help me because she’s better at looking for fresh fruits than I am”

“So she knows about me?”

“Yup” she proudly said, popping her lips when saying the word.

“Can I ask you when you started liking me?”

It was the last plate so I watched her as I dried my hands.

“Probably when I took you out?”

My eyebrows furrowed as I recalled the time she was referring to. “When was this?”

“When I took you to a café to work?”

When she, out of nowhere, asked me to go with her in the middle of work. “Ah, yes. I remember now”

“Probably that time or maybe later. I just know that I see you differently then”

“But that was a long time ago already”

“I know…” She only laughed as she dried her hands.

Suddenly, her phone rang, interrupting our conversation. I finished up cleaning the kitchen while she walked back to the living room to get her phone.

“Unnie?” Yongsun-unnie said.

It must be her older sister.

“I’m in Wheein’s house. We had dinner together but I’m already preparing to leave”

I glanced at Yongsun-unnie at the mention of my name.

“Okay, wait…” She headed back to me while pressing something on her phone. “Unnie wants to say something. I’m putting her on loudspeaker”

My eyes widened and I couldn’t hide my nervousness. “To me?”

“Yup. It’s nothing to be nervous about, Whee. Here…” She placed the phone in between us and said, “We can hear you now, unnie”

“Wheein?” her sister said over the phone. She has a deep voice and sounds more intimidating than Yongsun-unnie.

“Ye—es” I stuttered while Yong-unnie held back a laugh. I glared at her.

“Do you have anything tomorrow night?”

I raised my eyebrows at Yongsun-unnie in a silent question.

“It’s still Thursday tomorrow. You don’t need to be at Hyoyeon’s bar, right?”

“Uhm… No” I said to her older sister over the phone.

“Would you mind joining us here for dinner tomorrow night?”

“No… Thank you. I mean, no, I don’t mind” I shyly whispered. Deep down, I’m scared. I’m meeting her sister.

“Don’t scare her tomorrow, unnie. She’s already nervous” Yongsun-unnie said, earning a pout from me.

“I just want to meet her and maybe tease you. I’m leaving you soon so I better get to know her”

“It’s not like your leaving to a different country”

“Your clumsiness is making me worry”

Yongsun-unnie rolled her eyes before she said goodbye to her sister, promising that she’ll be back home soon.

“I’ll still wait for you after you finish work or you can come to my office, okay? We can go to my apartment together”

“Okay”

“Walk me out?” she asked.

We walked together to my doorstep and I felt a little sad at parting with her. This was surprisingly fun despite how it started awkwardly.

“I’ll pick you up tomorrow. I’ll just call you if I’m already outside of your apartment building”

“I can just go to the office by myself, unnie. I really don’t want to trouble you”

“This is part of courting, remember?” When she was done wearing her shoes, she brought me in a hug. “And since I’m only courting you for now, it’s nice to end this unexpected date with a hug”

“This is a date?”

“Uh-huh. I would love to kiss you but we’ll save that for when we’re actually together.” She snuggled her face on my neck while I melted in her arms. “I like this”

“Unnie…”

“Hmm…”

“You were supposed to be promoted?”

“Yes. Why?”

“Why didn’t you take it? Was it also because of me?”

Giggling, she leaned back so we could see each other’s faces while still being in her arms. “Yup”

“Why?”

“For the same reason as why I almost gave up my position as a department head. I can’t not be with you and it hurts me knowing that I’m hurting you too”

“But it’s such a huge opportunity for you. You’d deserve it”

“And lose this?” Her hand cupped my cheek with her thumb caressing. “I can’t lose you” she said and her eyes screamed nothing but love for me.

I could watch her stare at me for the whole night.

“Did the president get mad at you for declining?”

She shook her head. “He understands”

“What did you tell him?”

She smiled this time. “I told him that I want to be with you but with the company rules—”

I stepped back, gaping at her. “What!?”

She just laughed and brought me back in for a tighter hug. “It’s fine. He’d rather have Irene as the supervisor than potentially losing me or you. He said we’re his valuable assets. And he likes me as a department head”

I groaned and hid my face on her shoulder. “It’s weird, unnie”

“I know but I don’t want to lie”

We settled in that position, just holding each other close and not wanting to let go. But unfortunately, it has to end since Yongsun-unnie has to go home. It’s getting late already.

Despite saying that she wouldn’t kiss me, she still left a kiss on my cheek and I was astounded to the point of being speechless. She smiled at the obvious effect she had on me. “Good night, my little art nymph.” She patted my head affectionately.

My insides are warm. My chest is warm. I think my brain feels empty and tingles cover my fingers and toes. Butterflies dance in my belly. It was too much to handle.

She called me her little art nymph…

“I’ll see you tomorrow”

I could only nod while she’s heavily enjoying my stunned face.

She left me standing in my doorway for a couple of minutes. Still bewildered. The kiss was what triggered it all.

 

*****

 

“So… Jioh’s friend opened a new restaurant yester

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter