Bountiful

Horn of Plenty
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wheein's POV

 

I waited until everyone had left the room to approach her. I made sure that it'll just be me and her so if I'll be embarrassed, only she would be the witness. And I'm about to do something embarrassing.

Her office door was already open and I could hear her talking with someone on the phone. I hesitated and stopped on my tracks.

"I shouldn't have…" I mumbled to myself.

I was about to head back to my table when she suddenly called me.

"Wheein? Is that you?"

My shoulders flinch at the mention of my name. "Ye—es, unnie" I answered timidly.

"Perfect! Do you want to join me and Byulyi for dinner?"

I closed my eyes to sigh. Perfect. Just perfect. Even on the day I planned to confess.

"Hey… something wrong?"

She was already right behind me when I kept quiet in response to her offer. The clicking of her heels just intensified the loud beating of my heart, making me scared even more. When she was right in front of me, all I could see was the concern and worry in her eyes.

She cares…

"What's wrong?"

And it's stupid that what transpired for only just a few seconds gave me both a heart attack due to my nervousness and a rush of courage. Even the lightness and softness of her touch on my arm pushed me to speak.

"Unnie…" I said, breathing deeply as I gathered my remaining strength.

"You're sweating." Creases formed on her forehead when her eyebrows furrowed as she inspected my face. "Are you feeling ill?"

"I actually wanted to talk to you"

Her eyes slightly widened before they slowly narrowed, studying me even more.

And her gaze trapped my confession at my throat.

Her palm went to my forehead and neck, assessing my temperature. "Are you sick? Are we overworking you? Do you want to take a day off? Is that what you want to tell me?"

I held her wrist to take her palm away from my forehead. "Unnie… I'm going to tell you something"

"Okay…" she answered, chuckling nervously. "You're making me nervous, Wheein-ah"

I chose to stare at her hands and not at her face. It'll scare me before I could even say something. I also held her hand, which she held back. And it's comforting. I feel slightly relaxed and a little confident.

"Unnie—Ah, no." I shook my head at my mistake. "Kim Yongsun" I said, feeling brave to look at her now. "I like you"

I didn't have to wait for her reaction. My words somehow immediately sank in.

She was surprised. No doubt she would be. But her face slowly relaxed. She gave me a fond smile while she held my hand with both of hers now.

I feel relieved that I smiled back at her. It was worth it.

"Awe… Wheein-ah! You made me nervous for nothing! I like you too!"

"Really!?"

I couldn't hide how happy I was then. It was the best day of my life.

She pulled me in a tight hug and I melted in her arms.

"Of course! I like you and Hyejin. You two are our favorite little sisters!"

I take it back. Worst day of my life.

"But don't tell Hyejin." She cupped my cheeks and gave them a light squeeze. "You're the cutest!"

My hands fisted on my side while I frowned at her. "I'm serious, unnie!"

"Me too! Okay fine…" She groaned dramatically before giving me a mischievous smirk. "Let me tell you a secret"

I leaned in as I held my breath.

"You are my favorite. Please don't tell Hyejin, okay?" She ruffled my hair as she gave me a wink. "Now, let's go have dinner. Byulyi said it'll be her treat and I know she wouldn't mind if I tag you along with us"

I felt so dejected, frustrated, angry, and a whole lot of embarrassed. But mostly, frustrated. Why can't she take me seriously? Am I only just a sister to her?

 

*****

 

"You remember about my crush, right?"

"Yes…" the crowd responded, making me shyly giggle.

"I finally had the guts to confess to my crush"

The crowd cheered but they mellowed down when they saw the sad smile on my face.

"Want to know what my crush said back?"

"Yes!"

"My crush said… ‘You're my favorite sister’"

The crowd awed but the loud outcry at the back of the audience had me gaggling.

On Fridays, I secretly play at an underground bar to spend my time and cool off. I first found this when I experienced my first heartbreak. Still the same person that has consistently broken my heart several times. Somehow, I lost my way here and found the overall mood in the bar to be so calming.

The bartender one time, Hyoyeon-unnie, has noticed me coming every week and, out of nowhere, asked if I could sing. The singer that they hired that night had an emergency and couldn't play. I said yes because why not?

And so, every Friday, I have poured my heart out to these strangers about my unrequited love to our team leader, Kim Yongsun. They've been coming down to hear me randomly spill things about my tragic love story.

They don't know my name nor Yongsun-unnie's name. They just know me as the bar singer who had an unrequited love.

"I love you! Pick me!" someone randomly shouted.

"Hey! No hitting on the singer!" Hyoyeon-unnie scolded from the bar, earning a loud laugh from everyone.

"Don't make Hyo-unnie mad or else she'll kick all of us out. Anyways, here's my last song for tonight. Hope you like it"

The crowd’s cheers and claps were drowned by the strings of my guitar and the pain in my voice as I conveyed the song.

"I'm proud of you" Hyoyeon-unnie said as soone as I joined her in the bar.

"For what?"

She slid a glass of whiskey towards me and I gladly accepted it. I need a strong liquor tonight. The burn on my tongue will help me deal with the hurt in my chest. I took the drink in one gulp before I passed the glass to Hyoyeon-unnie to ask for a refill. She gave me a glass of water instead, which had me pouting.

"I should've been proud of you tonight but with how you're drinking, I think I'll take it back"

"Why?" I whined.

She rested her elbows on the bar to be able to look at me closely. "You confessed?"

The pout became a frown as I nodded.

"And she didn't take it like how you meant it?"

I shook my head.

She ruffled my hair and I should be irritated because that's what Yongsun-unnie also did. She only treats me as a child. But circumstances are different now and what Hyoyeon-unnie was doing honestly brought comfort to me.

"Then I'm proud of you"

I have friends at work but only my best friend, Hyejin, knows about my silly crush on Yongsun-unnie. We don't talk about it often because the unnies are too inquisitive. I don't want them to know. And so Hyejin and I agreed not to talk much about it.

I somehow found the right people to share my misery. To Hyoyeon-unnie and the strangers who'd listen to me sing.

"I'll give you two bottles of soju but that's it." She slammed a shot glass and the bottles in front of me, making me wince as it caught me off guard. "You can't get wasted under my watch"

"Okay…" I sighed and poured myself my first shot for tonight.

 

*****

 

I found a handful of green grapes on my table when I arrived for work. Green grapes are rather an odd choice of fruits. It's uncommon unlike the tangerines, bananas, and apples. I plucked a piece and popped it in my mouth. It's less sweet than the purple ones.

I dropped my bag on my table and went on my morning routine of making myself a coffee.

Yongsun-unnie was walking towards my table as I made my way back. She's bringing a folder that contains instructions of what she wants me to do. She halted on her steps when she saw an empty table.

"Unnie?" I called.

She looked for my voice and smiled when she saw me. Her cute little dimples below her lips and her twinkling eyes always make her more really pretty. She's a tough leader yet a gentle unnie and that makes her even more beautiful.

It's tough being around her because I'm reminded of how I'm madly in love with her.

"Hey, good morning"

"Good morning, unnie"

She saw the cup of coffee in my hand and hummed. "Ah… Of course. You need your coffee"

I chuckled as I nodded at her and smiled gratefully when she gave way as I passed by. "This is my—"

"Idea generator" she finished and I blushed a little bit from that. "I know, Wheein-ah. Oh, you got grapes!"

I placed my coffee down and offered the grapes to her. "It's not sweet"

"Isn't?" She plucked one and took a taste. "Hmm… Less sweet. Didn't know that…"

"Me too. I thought they're sweeter. Like white wine to red wine"

She raised an eyebrow, smirking amusingly. She suddenly leaned down and came face-to-face with me, making me catch my breath. "Wines, huh? That's adorable"

My nose immediately caught her scent. Something vanilla this time. Feminine and sweet. If it were the flowery and elegant one, I wouldn't survive this morning.

She flicked my cheek and left a room of distance as she placed the folder on my table. "Anyways, these are you for today. If you have questions, just knock on my door"

"O—okay. I will, unnie" I stuttered. It was hard to fight off my blush with her within my proximity.

"Have lunch with us, will ya?"

"Yes"

"Okay. I'll leave you for today, Wheein-ah"

I could finally breathe when she left.

"Oh, by the way…"

I caught my breath once again as I stared at her, dreading her every move now that she has me flustered.

She pointed at my grapes and asked, "Can I have these?"

"Of course, unnie"

The smile she gave me was angelic and a delighted one. It was difficult to enjoy the joy I gave to her with my current position as of the moment. I could only stare.

"Thanks, Wheein-ah. Call unnie if you need help"

She left with the grapes in her hand and popped a piece in .

It was only when she's gone that I was able to release the tension in my body. I slumped on my seat and closed my eyes just to relax. I need to take a few minutes to breathe before I will be able to work properly.

That's the effect she had on me. Always the effect.

 

*****

 

"Hey, Wheein!" Ailee-unnie called as I made my way to the cafeteria to have my lunch.

Ailee-unnie is also a team leader like Yongsun-unnie but she's from a different department. I was temporarily assigned to her department when I first joined the company. She trained me and treated me well, not just as an employee, but as a friend and an older sister. She knows I'm shy and has always gone out of her way to make me feel comfortable.

In the company, each department is given a project and each department is composed of several team members. In our team, I am the digital artist and media artist. It's a tough competition between departments but Yongsun-unnie has been working hard for our department to achieve many things. And for that, I admire her so much.

"Yes, unnie?"

"Are you on your way to lunch?"

"Ah… yes, unnie"

She placed her arm around my shoulders, greeting me with a warm smile. "Here, let me walk you there. I heard they have your strawberry milk today"

"Really!?"

She laughed at my reaction and I started skipping beside her as we made our way to the kitchen.

"I love strawberry milk, unnie!"

"I know you do!"

"Are you buying me some?"

"How many do you want?"

I raised two fingers close to her face, which had her laughing.

"Okay… I'll get you two strawberry milk"

"Yehey!" I pumped a fist up in the air and started jumping. I threw my arms around Ailee-unnie's neck to give her a hug. "Thank you, unnie!"

This is one of the many perks of people treating me like a kid. They somehow admire how tiny and how I look like a kid. I get treats and practically what I want from everyone in the office. I truly enjoy these since I suffer from its disadvantages.

As we fell in line to get lunch, Hyejin sneaked in beside me. Ailee-unnie clicked her tongue at Hyejin's behavior but still let her go.

After Ailee-unnie bought me not just one, but two strawberry milk, we bid farewell as she headed to eat with her members from the department. Hyejin and I will be eating with our department too.

"Share your milk with Hyejin, Wheein"

I hugged the cartons while shaking my head no. "She doesn't like milk, unnie. This is all to myself. Thanks again, unnie!"

Hyejin leaned in and whispered, "You got Yong-unnie jealous"

I hit her with my elbow. "What are you talking about? I told you she only likes me as her sister"

Hyejin rolled her eyes. "Yes, you already told me about that. What I mean is she doesn't like how the other department leaders are close with you. They might steal our beloved digital and media artist. Competition's tough and everyone wants you away from our team"

It's not new to me that others wanted to steal me into their department. I've heard rumors about it until one time a team leader actually went to me to persuade me to join their department.

Yongsun-unnie has complimented me on my work so many times. She always took care of me and Hyejin thinks it's because I am their precious media artist. She wanted to kill my hope so I would stop dreaming.

I think otherwise. I think she cares about me not because I am their media artist, but because she genuinely cares about me.

"Unnie will be treating us to karaoke this Friday" Byulyi-unnie said the moment we join them on the table.

"You really can't wait for me to break the news, can you?" Yongsun-unnie playfully glared at Byulyi-unnie. Then she was all smiles when she faced me and Hyejin. "But yeah… I'm treating us to karaoke and lots of food and drinks if you want just to celebrate"

"What's the celebration for?" Hyejin asked.

Byul-unnie clung to Yong-unni and the two were nothing but smiles as Byulyi-unnie proudly said, "We won the best department this month. Once again!"

Byulyi-unnie raised her glass of cola. Hyejin had a glass of lemon tea up. Yongsun-unnie has a glass of orange juice. And I raised the carton of strawberry milk that Ailee-unnie gifted. We clank our choice of drinks up together as a toast of celebration.

Byulyi-unnie reached over the table to pat my head, making me smile at her. "Well done, Wheein. And you too, Hyejin." Unlike me, she only patted Hyejin's shoulder.

"Thanks, unnie" I shyly whispered.

Hyejin suddenly pulled me to her in a headlock. She rubbed her knuckles on my head, which hurt so bad.

"You should be prouder than that, Wheenie!"

"Yah!" I wailed, blindly reaching behind me to hit her. "That hurts"

"Okay. That's enough, Hyejin-ah" Yongsun-unnie chided.

Hyejin's teasing giggle made me shy and I was hoping that my blush was masked by the struggle from Hyejin's headlock. To make it even worse, Yongsun-unnie touched me. She fixed my hair and the collar of my shirt while laughing softly.

"You're fine, Whee"

At the corner of her eyes, she caught Byulyi-unnie stealing from her plate of green grapes. The green grapes that I gave to her earlier this morning. She swatted Byulyi-unnie's hand away while glaring at her.

"Don't steal my grapes!"

"I want one!"

"Didn't you get some, unnie?" I asked.

Like peas in the pod, the two of them stopped bickering and stared at me with blank expressions. Just from that, I don't think they ever get some.

I looked over at Hyejin. "Didn't you get some?"

She only shook her head.

"Am I the only one who's been receiving fruits?"

"You've been receiving fruits!?"

I shyly nodded at Byulyi-unnie.

Yongsun-unnie was the only one who was unbothered by this revelation. She continued to eat the green grapes.

Byulyi-unnie pointed at the grapes Yongsun-unnie was eating. "This came from you then?"

"I gave it to unnie but someone placed it on my table. I thought the office are distributing fruits to everyone"

"What else have you been receiving?" she asked curiously.

"Fruits" I answered, my face getting redder and redder every minute. "Mangoes, apples, bananas, strawberries. I essentially got fruits. I got a sandwich one time but that's it. Aren't you all receiving these?"

"No," they answered.

I pouted.

Yongsun-unnie giggled and cooed at my pout. "That's cute Wheein-ah" she mumbled and so I bit my bottom lip to hide my pout.

"Who's giving you fruits then? An admirer?" Hyejin asked.

I gasped at Hyejin's suggestion while furiously shaking my head. "No. I don't think so"

"Or are you being bribed into joining other departments? I saw you with Ailee-unnie earlier." Byulyi-unnie narrowed her eyes in scrutiny and I shook my head even more.

"No! Not that. Unnie just treated me with strawberry milk. That's all"

And even if they bribed me with so many things, like other team leaders have done before, I will never leave my department. It's the only way I get to stay close with Yongsun-unnie. My best friend is here too.

Thankfully, our discussion was cut short when Yongsun-unnie reminded everyone that lunch break is almost over. Hyejin and Byulyi-unnie had to attend a meeting together so it was just me and Yongsun-unnie walking back to our office.

"You're going to be there, right? This Friday?" she suddenly asked.

I bit the inside of my cheek. How will I say no? I have to go to Hyoyeon-unnie's bar that day and the three of them don't know about my thing every Friday. I can't tell them either. Having to go to karaoke with them also means that I'll just get jealous witnessing Byulyi-unnie and Yongsun-unnie being so clingy.

Although, as per Hyejin, the two are not together. And yet they are always together somehow.

"I don't know…"

"What? Why?"

"I have a thing this Friday…"

Yong-unnie held my arm and stopped us from walking. And it's ironic how her touch makes me so alive and flinch at the same time. The softness of the pads of her fingers just lightly touching my skin bursts tingles all over my body and yet it also makes me scared for myself, for whatever stupidity I might do.

"You aren't coming then?"

I only shook my head. I have already lost my voice.

"I can't hear you sing? But the celebration was for you. We made it because of your work"

I looked away and tried to hide my face with my hair. Should I go then?

"I…"

"Please, Whee"

I shut my eyes tightly and shook my head. "I'm sorry, unnie. I just had a prior commitment. I would've come if I knew ahead of time." The disappointment in her face and the insistence in her touch crushed my heart. Out of panic, I blurted out, "Can't we have it on another day?"

"I…" She sighed and I felt bad about it. "I'll see what I can do"

"Thank you, unnie"

I shouldn't have asked that.

 

*****

 

Purple grapes.

That's what greeted me after I came back from lunch the next day.

I checked on everyone else's tables but they got nothing. It is true that only I have been receiving fruits. Now, this made me wonder… Who's giving me fruits?

Hyejin, Byulyi-unnie, and I had lunch together. Only Yongsun-unnie was left in our office and she's the only one here when I came back. So… her? It'll be fluttering and thrilling to know that unnie has been giving me fruits.

But the green grapes… She asked for my grapes. If she gave it to me, why would she ask for them back? Even more, eat them in front of me?

I slowly approached unnie's office, careful not to disturb her since she's still on the phone. I peeked inside to catch her attention since her door is always open.

"—yes. That's fine. We can work on it." While still on call, she saw me lurking outside and motioned for me to come in as she continued with her call. "Yes. No worries. We'll see what we can do."

She put the phone down before giving me her smile. "Done with lunch?"

"Yes, unnie"

"Anything I can help you with? Have a seat"

I quickly declined the offer, not wanting to trouble her. "I just want to ask, unnie. Had you seen anyone come in here while we're out during lunch?"

Her eyebrows instantly furrowed. "Why? What happened?"

"Oh no. Just…" I scratched my cheek, embarrassed at having to worry her. "Someone left grapes on my table and you were the only one here… Unless, you're the one who left it, which I don't think so, but I just want to know if you see someone coming in here"

I couldn't help but pout at the realization that I just rambled at her. Luckily, she only giggled and found me cute. Still, it didn't help because the compliment just made me blush.

"I have no idea, actually. I had a meeting earlier so I didn't notice"

"Okay…"

"But I'll let you know if I see them, okay?"

That made me smile gratefully as I nodded at her. "Okay. Thanks, unnie"

"You're welcome. Enjoy your grapes, Whee. I hope they're not green this time" she said with a chuckle.

"They're purple, unnie!"

"Ah, that's a relief then. And you like them better than the green ones, right?"

"They're sweeter"

She smiled wider in response while giving me a curt nod.

Now… who’s really giving me these fruits? And why me?

 

*****

 

"And to our best department this month, still consistent, congratulations to Department 6 headed by Kim Yongsun" Lee Sangyeol, the running president of the company, announced. "Please come on stage and accept your award"

On stage, he was accompanied by his father, Lee Jin, to award outstanding employees, team leaders, supervisors, and departments. Yongsun-unnie already went up the stage to accept the team leader award along with Ailee-unnie. The award is composed of a plaque and cash gift for encouragement. It’s the reason why competition inside the company gets a little tough sometimes.

Normally, the team leader of the best department award would get on stage to get the prize. However, Yongsun-unnie has been breaking that tradition.

At our table, she turned to Byulyi-unnie and tipped her head towards the stage. "Head up with me," she said.

"Of course," Byulyi-unnie answered without any hesitation.

In the company, they're known as the Sun and Moon duo. Others coined them as the power couple. Yongsun-unnie has always been a great leader but somehow, when they're together, they manage to attract customers going to our department. They've been the best at their roles. And for that, a lot are jealous of them.

I'm one of them too.

I'm jealous not because I wanted to convince a lot of customers, but because they are so close to the point of being accused as an actual couple. A romantic couple.

With a bitter taste in my tongue, I watched as they held hands on their way to accept our department's reward. It has always been like that and yet it hurts a little more every single time. I had to look away and decided to focus on my fiddling hands.

"How do you do it, Whee?" Hyejin suddenly whispered beside me.

I glanced at her and noticed the worry in her eyes.

"How do you just handle it?"

The question makes it ache more in my chest. But it's the sympathy and sadness in her voice that make me look away as I blinked back my tears.

I play the hurt out in a bar with some random strangers.

"I don't know"

But she doesn't need to know that. She always worries for me and I don't want to bother her even more.

"Do you cry at night? Do you shout it out? It must've hurt a lot, Whee"

"I just let it be, Jinnie" I admitted in a tiny voice.

It has been over a year since I discovered I have caught feelings for our team leader. I have always acted weird from other people's eyes because of my shyness. But Hyejin knows when my silence is normal and when it is not.

I shared my heart out to her one day. When it was too much and when it was unbearable. She teased me to make it lighter but I know, deep down, she hurts for me too. That's how we are as soulmates. We hurt when the other is also hurting.

"Yongsun-unnie said she's moving the karaoke for tomorrow night because you couldn't come"

"I didn't want to come"

"You can just call in sick"

"She'll know it's a lie"

"I can jump in for you"

I sighed helplessly. "It's fine, Hyejin. I can get through it"

…like how I always do.

 

*****

 

I chomp on the apple while waiting for Hyoyeon-unnie to finish making my drink.

It was apples today.

And I still haven't found yet who is dropping fruits on my table everyday.

Maybe I should focus my energy into finding them rather than on something else. That'll be a good pastime.

A highball glass slid into my line of vision with my choice of drink; gin tonic. I followed the hand holding the glass to see Hyoyeon-unnie raising a questioning eyebrow at me.

"What?" I took the glass from her to take a sip. The sizzle was so satisfying, making me sigh as I mumbled my thanks to unnie.

"Your singing tonight… Did something happen?"

Of course, she noticed. I never even mentioned my crush and gave light-hearted jokes earlier. I just sang and sang until my throat felt sticky and my voice sounded a little hoarse. I did not interact with the crowd. I did not even introduce myself. I just picked up the guitar and sang.

I ducked my head as I felt embarrassed with my behavior.

"Wheein…" Hyoyeon called. It was gentle but with a hint of warning.

"It was the awarding ceremony at the company and we got the best department award" I explained. I wasn't in the mood to drink anymore and so I just played with my glass.

"And? Shouldn't you be happy?"

I smiled sadly at the enthusiasm in her voice. "My crush received the award with someone that might probably be their lover"

"Oh…"

I smiled again at the frown on unnie's face out of pity for myself. "It's fine. I'm fine now, Hyo-unnie. The singing helped"

She reached a hand towards me to give me a gentle pat on my hand. "There, there… I'll allow you more glasses of liquor tonight but I won't still allow you to be drunk"

I am always thankful that I found an older sister in Hyoyeon-unnie. She has always been understanding with me and doesn't even scold me for dragging down the mood in her bar with my sappy songs and broken-hearted singing.

"Thank you, unnie. I'm sorry too"

"Hey…" She patted my cheek while giving me a smile. "Nothing to apologize. Your voice also bring more customers in here so I should be thanking you"

 

*****

 

There was a broad smile on my face as I slumped on the cushioned seat inside our booth. I was breathing heavily to catch my breath but nonetheless, I was content. Hyejin was also doing and feeling exactly the same as me. As our eyes connected, we high-fived in a loud, satisfying clap.

"Good job," she said.

"Can't believe I still have it"

"Me too"

We shared a giggle and continued to tease around each other while recalling the old times. Hyejin and I used to hang out at karaoke to sing until our last penny drops. I even felt nostalgic the moment we stepped inside the booth.

It was the night we celebrated being awarded as the best department. Byulyi-unnie picked up all three of us for dinner before we headed here to sing. It was fun having to spend time together. Despite my internal turmoil, I have always appreciated my best friend and the unnies for always taking care of me.

It was Yongsun-unnie's turn. Contrary to what she thinks, she has a really great voice. The kind of voice that makes me stop and listen. The voice that tickles your ears and draws your attention to hear. A voice so powerful, all I could do is watch and stare, not realizing that I had my mouth open in awe.

She's really great. And beautiful.

"Don't make it obvious that you're staring" Hyejin whispered beside me.

I suddenly felt conscious and so I looked away. I busied myself with the food and drinks served on the table. Though my eyes were away, I have fully lent my ears to Yong-unnie's voice.

It's difficult not to fall harder for her after witnessing this again.

We all clapped after her song. Byulyi-unnie joined her since the next song was for them.

It was a duet. A love song.

Romantic but heartbreaking for me.

"I'll just go to the restroom," I said to Hyejin.

She stopped me by grabbing my arm. "Will you be fine?" she whispered, making sure that only us could hear the conversation.

"Yes… Just needed some air"

I silently left our booth to seek some air. I welcomed the cool air and breathed a huge one, puffing my lungs before slowly releasing it. Sadly, images of Byulyi-unnie and Yongsun-unnie in the car and in the booth earlier flashed right in front of my eyes.

I know Byulyi-unnie to be a very touchy person. She is like that to me and Hyejin too. But it's different with Yongsun-unnie. She has shared stories of her going to Yong-unnie's place without some heads up. They went grocery shopping together, went on trips together, and shared a lot of things together.

It's hard to believe their claim as being friends rather than as lovers.

Byulyi-unnie just naturally places her arm around Yongsun-unnie. Or her hands in her pocket. Or how she'd fix Yongsun-unnie's hair.

And Yongsun-unnie lets her. Yongsun-unnie reciprocates these actions.

I've told myself once, maybe she'd do it to me too if I am like that to her too.

But I never had the guts.

I could only stare from afar.

"Wheein!"

I glanced after hearing my name and was surprised to see Ailee-unnie. "Unnie… Hi!" I greeted as we approached each other.

"Hi… What are you doing here all by yourself?"

I pointed behind me as I said, "Karaoke with the department"

"Ah…" She nodded slowly. "Are you all celebrating after being awarded again? Congratulations, by the way, on that" she teased.

I shyly giggled. "Thank you. Yongsun-unnie is treating us"

Her eyebrows scrunched in question. "Then why are you here? Why not join them?"

"Just needed some air. Fierce competition with the mic inside" I partly lied, hoping she wouldn't catch the reddening of my ears as I felt them warming up.

"I see…"

"Also… congratulations, unnie!" I started jumping and clapping to celebrate. "You're awarded as the best team leader too! Shouldn't you celebrate too, unnie? We should celebrate!"

There's fondness in how she smiled and pressed my cheeks together. "I'm not going to steal you away when you're celebrating too. And besides, shouldn't you treat me this time?"

I stopped fussing around to pout at Ailee-unnie, disappointed.

She just laughed hard right at my face.

"You're the one who won, unnie. Why will I be the one treating you out?" I whined, which just made her laugh harder.

She grabbed both of my cheeks again and squeezed them hard. My cheeks are always her target for when she finds me irresistable, annoying, and in her words, adorable.

"You're so cute, Whee! Why are you so cute!? Can you be my baby sister?"

I lightly hit her arm to stop her from hurting my cheeks. What I learned every time she does this is to stay still because if I pull away, it'll just hurt even more. So I just hit her to hurt her back.

"No!"

"Awe… She whined,” she teased some more.

"I didn't know you're also here, unnie"

A new voice behind me, one that is very familiar, stopped Ailee-unnie from tormenting my cheeks. Once freed from her hands. I pulled away while holding my cheeks to nurse them. I glared at unnie and when she caught me, she laughed and gave my head a pat.

"Was just passing by and saw this kid lurking outside"

"I am not a kid!" I argued, and ironically, sounded like a kid.

She only winked at me, teasing me even more, while I blew her a raspberry. "Anyway," she turned her attention back to Yongsun-unnie again, "I was just heading back to my place. Wheein said you're celebrating so have fun!" She flicked the tip of my nose before she started walking again. "Looking forward to lunch with you, Wheein"

"Says who!?"

I glared at her retreating figure before I realized that Yongsun-unnie was still there. "What brings you here, unnie? Are we done already?"

"I was just looking for you. You were suddenly gone and Hyejin said you were in the restroom but I found it empty"

"Oh. Yeah… Just wanted some fresh air"

She was uncannily silent and serious as she faced the direction where Ailee-unnie was heading. It feels like she still has something to say so I waited for her. I don't know what else I was supposed to say at that moment so I stayed quiet.

After some time, she sighed before facing me once again. Her gaze was unreadable apart from the complete apathy on her face.

"I'll leave you then. Just wanted to check on you"

"I'm sorry I made you worry, unnie"

She only hummed and nodded at me before she started walking back to our booth. "Don't be out too long. You'll get cold"

"I won't. I'm sorry" I mumbled an apology once again.

My heart thought she came here because she was concerned while my mind told me she simply cared. She cared as an older sister and nothing else. And even though it's immature, I wondered how it would be if it was something else. Something more.

Only to be disappointed when I stepped back into our booth and found Byulyi-unnie leaning her head on Yongsun-unnie's shoulder.

 

*****

 

"You invaded my house"

"I dropped by to visit!"

"You didn't even ask if I wanted a visit"

"I brought you the dance pad!"

"And that's supposed to make up for just simply showing up? At my house like it's your place"

"You had fun!" Byulyi-unnie laughed at the face Yongsun-unnie was making. "You're a bad liar, unnie. I know you love having me around"

It was obvious not just to Byulyi-unnie but to me too that Yongsun-unnie really wasn't annoyed. She was trying hard not to smile at hearing Byulyi-unnie's hearty laugh.

Yongsun-unnie invited us to eat lunch outside of the company for a change. Unfortunately, Hyejin couldn't come because she had other plans. I was stuck with the two unnies, contemplating my life choices.

The two have been bickering nonstop and I was only there to witness it.

Apparently, Byulyi-unnie spent the weekend over at Yongsun-unnie's house. They went shopping together and watched the movies because Byulyi-unnie insisted for Yong-unnie to go with her. And it's like a little date.

Exactly like how I imagined but with just me instead of Byulyi-unnie. I only get to live it in my dreams.

Due to my frustration, I held the innocent tangerine so hard that it squeezed out some of its juice. It hit me right on my eyes and it stings so badly. I had to shut my eyes and drop the fruit to wipe my face clean with the back of my hand, only to make it worse. Tears rolled down my cheeks while I felt like a million needles pricking my eyes.

Someone grabbed my hand to stop them from flailing. Gentle fingers held my chin and only after a few seconds did I recog

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter