one of five

Everyone wants her / that was my crime (JMJ)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

MJ's and JM's mixtape #1

tracklist:

1.  Black Balloon, The Goo Goo Dolls

2. Come to Me, The Goo Goo Dolls

3. Slide, The Goo Goo Dolls

4. More Than Words, Extreme

5. Love Is All Around, Wet Wet Wet

6. NAN CHUN, SE SO NEON

7. Summer, The Volunteers

8. Underwater, Red Velvet

9. "!" (Taylor's Version) (From The Vault), Taylor Swift

10. You Are In Love (Taylor's Version), Taylor Swift 

11. About You, The 1975

12. Angel, FINNEAS

13. Isn't She Lovely, Stevie Wonder

14. Friday I'm In Love, The Cure

 

-

 

Yu Jimin is your typical girl next door—a high achiever and walking goddess—who attends high school with peers that worship the ground she and her friends walk on. It’s not like Jimin is unaware of the attention she receives; she’d just rather ignore it since her ears have a bad habit of turning red once she has too much attention.

 

Jimin has a best friend, whom she thinks is the best person in the whole world. Aeri is the typical social butterfly girl and she takes care of Jimin very well, as if Jimin were her younger sister, even though they’re the same age. 

 

With graduation approaching, Jimin studies very often to maintain her spot within the top five ranks of the student body. Since seventh grade, she’s stayed between the second and third spots, never first.

 

Kim Minjeong occupies the first spot and Jimin would spend the rest of her life staring longingly at Min—the first spot in the academic ranks—if she could.

 

She doesn’t have time to think about another person right now, but...

 

Senior year also meant that suddenly a billion people are either dating or usually hooking up, and maybe Jimin was definitely ignorant to that aspect before because she’s never seen so many people making out in the hallways before.

 

Something about Jimin that many do not expect is that she's never dated. She’s never even had a crush. Why? Maybe Jimin just kept that part of her repressed for so long because of studying, and she’s never invested time in that part of her life.




 

“I’m just saying,” Aeri says as they descend down the hall. “You should loosen up more.”

 

Jimin turns left and right to the younger students and peers smiling at her, and she does her best to greet them, bowing slightly and smiling.

 

“Aeri, I’m not that uptight.” Jimin almost pouts.

“Yeah, but you’re almost eighteen, and you’re a repressed teenager.” Aeri tells her. “You’ve not had a crush, haven’t dated, not even a single ual thought has formed in your mind and you’re a nerd.”

 

Jimin stops in her steps as they reach the cafeteria. She turns to Aeri with a slightly panicked expression.

 

“Even my mum brings my lack of an outside life up to me. Is it that bad?” Jimin asks exasperatedly and Aeri blinks, slightly worried to see how worked up her best friend is about this situation.

“Well… It’s good that you’re studying and you’ll probably be a rich genius in the future, but right now, you’re a teenager.” Aeri pats her shoulder lightly. “Get reckless. Kiss someone, drink underage, make a mistake; you’re allowed to have stupid fun sometimes, Jimin-ah.” 

“But I’m… I’m not interested in those things; that’s the problem.” Jimin says.

“Is it the people? Sweaty, , and drunk teenagers aren't exactly the ideal hangout spot.” Aeri says. “I promise I’ll take you to nice places that won’t get you overstimulated.”

"Okay, we can try.” Jimin nods.

“Sure? Because you can’t back out or regret anything I make you do, since you’re agreeing.” Aeri lights up.

“I won’t, and I’m sure. I can be down for anything as long as I’m comfortable.” Jimin nods firmly and Aeri squeals, pulling her into a tight hug.

"Oh, em, gee! It’ll be the best and worst senior year ever! I can’t wait to see drunk Jimin!” 

“Can we please go into the cafeteria and eat now?” Jimin chuckles.

 

If the huge table that Aeri and Jimin sit at doesn’t add to their popular students stereotypes, then Jimin doesn’t know what does. Their table is honestly pretty full—in Jimin’s eyes, and maybe because she’s friends with a lot of people. There’s a variety of people and sitting towards the end—where Jimin finds her eyes always gravitating towards—is Kim Minjeong.

 

Jimin isn't as close as she thought she’d be with Minjeong. She had initially thought she’d be good friends with her because they’re both academically inclined, they’re introverted, and they're interested in the arts and history—not that Jimin actually knows this, but they’ve been to a museum on a school excursion once and Jimin just happened to notice Minjeong being chatty to Ningning, talking about the palaeolithic age being her favourite study area—which Jimin just happened to also be interested in. 

 

But enough of the stone age—Jimin doesn’t actually know why she’s always thinking of Minjeong. Maybe it’s because she interacts with almost everyone in the school like they’re best friends and that they sit at the same lunch table but on opposite ends, since Minjeong sits in front of Ningning all the way to the end and Jimin sits on the other end with Aeri, Yunjin, and Minju, but Minjeong and Jimin aren’t besties like that. They’re friendly, almost civil acquaintances and Jimin doesn’t necessarily like that.

 

Deep down, very quietly in her mind, she seriously wants to be friends with Minjeong before the high school year ends.

 

Although they share a group, Jimin thinks they are two very different people. Minjeong relishes attention and accepts it gracefully while shooting her own charms back. Jimin thinks Minjeong is a flirt and that terrifies Jimin.

 

Since Jimin's on a mission to lead a good, fruitful, and slightly reckless senior year with the help of her best friend Aeri, she'd also like to do something on her own, and it might just be to become good friends with Kim Minjeong.

 

She’d just have to speak to her, that’s all.

 

And that’s the problem.

 

Jimin hates starting conversations.


 


 

“Wassup, wassup!” Aeri greets Jimin the moment she opens the door at 7:00 p.m. sharp, Thursday night.

“Hi.” Jimin greets her. 

“Hello, dear friend.” Aeri beams, pushing her way into the house.

 

Jimin blinks and closes the door, following Aeri back into her house.

 

“What are you doing here? It’s a school night.” Jimin asks.

“We’re going to a party.” Aeri turns around and then Jimin notices the dress under her coat. "Specifically, a Johnny Suh party.”
“He’s having another one?” Jimin asks. “He just had one like two weeks ago.”

“Yeah and two weeks ago, you didn’t go.” Aeri rolls her eyes. ”You’re going to this one as part of your reckless senior year plan.”

“Why didn’t you tell me before? I have to get ready now, and I have to ask my parents.” Jimin sighs.

“We could just sneak out. It makes for a thrill. Or lie to them.” Aeri smirks and Jimin looks at her unimpressed.

“Yeah, I’d rather ask them. And you know my parents; they’d probably thank you for making me go to a party.” Jimin shakes her head.

“You’re right about that.” Aeri chortles. “Anyways, let’s get ready first!”

 

Aeri runs up the stairs to Jimin’s room and Jimin just follows behind, letting Aeri do whatever.

 

Jimin puts on a leather skirt and a skimpy top Aeri picks out and pairs it with a cropped leather jacket. Aeri makes her sit down on a chair in front of her vanity as Aeri works her magic by applying make-up to Jimin’s face.

 

“There you are, my y, tall, dark and brooding best friend.” Aeri purrs once she puts the make-up brush down.

 

Jimin turns to the mirror and finds herself almost unrecognisable, but in a good way. She hasn’t dressed up like this in forever—and maybe never.

 

“Aeri, I look insane.” Jimin is in awe.

“Insane good or insane bad?” Aeri smirks.

“A bit of both.” Jimin shrugs.

“Thank God your hair is already annoyingly perfect and straight every day.” Aeri hums as she runs her fingers through Jimin’s jet black hair against her leather jacket.

“C’mon, let’s ask Mama Kang and Mama Bae.” Aeri says and Jimin nods.

 

They knock on her parent’s door before entering.

 

“Come in!” Seulgi calls out.

 

Jimin opens the door and she finds her parents lounging around. Joohyun is lying against the bedrest with a book in hand and Seulgi is lying on her stomach, watching a movie on the TV at a low volume.

 

They sit up straight with wide eyes once they see Jimin.

 

“Jimin darling!” Joohyun gasps and Jimin blushes.

“What?” She clears .

“You look beautiful. Where are you headed tonight, girls?” Seulgi asks, crossing her legs as she sits upright.

“To a party a couple streets down. Johnny Suh, you know him, right?” Aeri says.

“His mother comes to the clinic, I think.” Joohyun nods.

“Well - we’ll be out now!” Aeri grins.

“Have fun, girls! Don’t come home past 12!” Seulgi beams.

“Twelve? Isn’t that too late?” Jimin asks.

“Well, you can stay out late. We’re not too worried you’ll do something bad, darling.” Joohyun chuckles. “Just go out and have fun, and make sure you come back home in one piece.”
“I promise Jiminie will come back in one piece by 12! I’ll make sure of it as your favourite friend of your daughter!” Aeri chirps.

“Okay, have fun!”

 

The party is in full blast when they reach there around 8:30 p.m., and it isn’t all that full like that party in ‘Ten Things I Hate About You’ where there were people bustling in and out of the party. The windows of the Suh estate are mostly open and you can see the normal house lights on as well as the addition of colourful party lights.

 

“Ready for it, baby-Jimin?” Aeri asks her once they exit the Uber.

“Ready.” Jimin nods, balling her hands into tight fists at her side.

 

When they knock on the door, Johnny is the one who answers and he is already a little tipsy—overly loud and bright.

 

“Hey!” He draws out. “Uchinaga Aeri and Yu Jimin in the flesh!”

“Hey, Johnny!” Aeri daps him up and Jimin blinks when he does the same to her.

“O-oh - okay.” Jimin nods quietly.

“Welcome to the party! Second floor rooms are off limits unless you have permission, but most of the girls do, since the bathroom up there is cleaner than the ones downstairs. There’s snacks in the corner, drinks - and many, many friends! Enjoy and be safe.” He advises them. “Come find me if you need anything; I’ll be around!” 

“Thanks, Johnny!” 

 

Aeri pulls Jimin to the drinks immediately and pours them both a shot of soju, and Jimin isn’t really sure how the alcohol here was supplied, but there are people she’s never seen before here and they must be over eighteen. 

 

“Have a shot to warm up and then we take on the other drinks.” Aeri tells her and she nods. Aeri pours a red plastic cup of coke and hands it to Jimin. “If you need a chaser,"

 

Jimin takes the cup and she nods.

 

“On three," Aeri says and Jimin nods.

 

On the count of three, they both down the shot and it leaves a strange aftertaste in Jimin’s mouth, but it’s kind of nice. Thankfully, it was peach flavoured.

 

“Hey! You didn’t chase it!” Aeri exclaims. “My baby is growing up!”

 

Jimin beams and she finds that this party isn’t so bad.

 

A few drinks in and they managed to find their friends; they’re all seated around each other on the couch, and they don’t play any stupid games, thankfully, but at one point someone suggests musical chairs and they’re shot down since, strangely, drunk people do actually want to play musical chairs, but there aren’t enough chairs, and they’re drunk—which will cause problems like injuries if they do play it.

 

“I wanna dance!” Aeri shouts into her ear and Jimin doesn’t even flinch—feeling very buzzed at the moment and thankful she’s sitting down on the couch instead of standing.

“Mhm...” Jimin nods.

 

Aeri stands up and points directly at Ningning, who is taken by surprise.

 

“You! Ning Yizhuo!” Aeri smiles brightly. “Dance with me!”

 

Ningning is then whisked away by Aeri and they buss it down to whatever doja cat song is playing at the moment. Jimin chuckles softly at the sight of her best friend all over Ningning, who isn’t rejecting her at all.

 

Jimin sinks into the couch later, and she really needs to pee but she’s so warm and comfortable that she doesn’t want to move.

 

Jimin’s aware that Yunjin’s sitting on her left, but she doesn’t know who’s on her right. All she knows is that it’s another girl and they’re warm and nice, letting her lean on her.

 

Very nice and warm.



 



 

Minjeong finds the sight of Jimin drunk endearing, and the fact that Jimin is leaning against her back is adding to it. Minjeong’s never actually seen Jimin drunk or at a party, for that matter. Minjeong isn’t a partygoer either, but since someone has to supervise Ningning and bring her home to her parents, Minjeong takes on that role.

 

Also because she’s the one that knows how to drive between them, and she doesn’t like drinking either—partially because she’s kind of a lightweight. 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter