Memory 06

After The 13th Hour (Hiatus)

Dara's POV

 

It was about 7 when I finally reached home, and I was immediately greeted by Bom, who was standing on the porch- her arms akimbo and a frown was very much evident on her face. Uh-oh

 

“Where were you?!” She demanded, no doubt furious.

 

“I’m really really really sorry, unnie!” I apologised hurriedly, and about frantically.  ” I came as fast as possible, really! I hit someone, and, and…”

 

I trailed off, and suddenly, I was blushing at the thought of Jiyong.

 

Bom give me one last menacing glare, before saying in a gentler tone, “You should have called me… Anyway, I kept dinner hot for you in the kitchen”

 

I took of my shoes and as I entered the house.

 

“Is Seunghyun coming today?” I asked, curious.

 

“He came just now.” She smiled, and added, “And he’s coming tomorrow too”.

 

I gave an internal squeal of joy. Seunghyun Oppa became our pillar of support after the accident and the death of our Mom.  Even though he and Bom are still not yet married, but in my heart, I consider them as husband and wife. They sure act like one, and I’m positive they are bound to marry soon.

 

Bom pulls the door close, shutting out the chilly winter wind.

 

“By the way, did you do what I asked you to…?” she trailed off, and swallowed hard. It was still hard for the both of us to talk about Mom.

 

I nodded, and put a hand on her shoulder, trying to tell her that it’s okay.

 

“Good,” She murmurs softly. She seems to be in her own world, and I could see tears slowly forming. I knew what was happening- she was blaming herself yet again for Mom’s death, beating herself up about it.

 

“It’s not your fault unnie,” I said softly, bringing her back into the real world.

 

Bom wipes away her tears away and nodded, giving me a reassuring smile. I put my arms around her, and hugged her tightly, trying to comfort her.

 

Our Mom had died in a car accident, and just when she and Bom started to get along fine too. It was a rainy day, and Bom was having another fight with Mom. They were getting along fine, but fights like that just happen from time to time, though seldom. Unable to control her anger, she ran away from home, and Mom went to find her. Because of the rain and the slippery roads, a car accident happened. Nobody could have prevented it, but Bom had always blamed herself for Mom’s death.

 

She was buried at the Town’s cemetery, where I visit her every week. This year was her first death anniversary, so I decided to do something special for her. I brought a single rose which symbolises‘I’m sorry and I miss you’ and a few white candles in her honour.

 

After dinner, I returned to my room and began writing in my pink diary, about Mom’s death anniversary, and about my meeting with Jiyong.

 

‘I really hope I can meet him again, but as stupid as it sounds, I have a feeling that he will be someone very special to me.’

 

As I wrote my last sentence, I smile sadly and wishfully. I probably will not see him again, and for some reason, that thought depress me. What is happening to me…?

 


 

The next morning, I got up early and hurried down to the living room. I carefully placed my present under the Christmas tree, trying to be as quiet as possible, for I did not want Bom to be woken up by me.

 

As I stood up, a tap on my shoulder caused me to jump back in shock. I let out a loud sigh of relief when I realized it was just Seunghyun.

 

“What are you doing?” He asked, grinning.

 

“Shh!!” I shushed him frantically, while putting my index finger on my lips to emphasise my words. Seunghyun is much older than me yet he has the intellect of a 5 year old. “It’s for Bom!” I hissed.

 

He nodded in understand. “What about me?” he asked, pouting, while feigning to be hurt.

 

I laughed at his childish behaviour.” I prepared one for you too! It’s in my…” I trailed off, and gave my diary a quick glance. “Drawer.”

 

“So what are you waiting for? I’m right here!” He said, chuckling. I rolled my eyes, and hurried to my room and bought down a box of yang geng (Red bean jelly).

 

He smiled and pinched my cheeks. ”That’s my Dara!”

 

I rolled my eyes, but a smile was evident on my face.

 

“I’m going out again to the abandoned train station today.” I informed him as I grabbed my bag and walked towards the door.

 

“Again?” He cocked his head to the side,” Alright, I’ll tell Bom when she wakes up.”

 

“Thanks!” I said, before leaving the house.

 

I walked towards the train station, wincing slightly as the cold winter wind hit my face. It was my sanctuary. The place closed down a few years ago and no one goes there. I kind of ‘adopted’ that place and go there whenever I have the time, to write and think about things. Sometimes I just go there because it’s the perfect place for me to be alone and have no one to bother me.

 

The cold was really getting to my now. I zipped up my jacket. I looked up, and stared at the grey skies. Maybe it’ll snow this time

 

The last time it had ever snowed in this town was 30 years ago. It experiences winter, but it never did snow, and this make me rather disappointed. I love the snow, and it reminds me of my childhood, when Bom and I would spend hours fooling around in the snow, having snow fights and making snow angels.

 

I didn’t realise I was crying until I felt a teardrop roll down my cheeks. I really missed the old times when things were simply perfect, when Mom was still alive, and when I did not have this illness.

 

I made my way to the station slowly.  When I reached, I sat down on the old wooden bench and began reading the diary entry from the day before. Lunch was a 4/5 yesterday; 1 mark was deducted because there was chips in it and it was something not to be indulged in; Bom’s hair accessory that I spent a lot of money on; my visit to the cemetery and Jiyong.

 

I let out a chuckle when I read what I wrote for Jiyong, amused at myself. It almost seem like I had a crush on him.

 

He had this aura around him, and aura that compelled me to keep staring at him. He had charming features and he was what we would call a ‘Flower Boy’. Usually I don’t like flower boys cause all they do is flirt around and play with girls’ hearts. But Jiyong seemed different. His black orbs seem to captivate me, and when he smile, but heart seemed to miss a beat. I learned that Jiyong is a freshman in University- the same age as I am. I guess it was destiny that caused us to meet. Maybe there’ll be a chance for me to meet him again in this small town.

 

If I had felt that way about him, I guess Jiyong would not be a bad character.

 

I stared at the field before me; it had turned a brownish black. All the plants had wilted. A pity though; they were so majestic during summer.

 

I heard footsteps coming from in front, and I stiffened slightly- who else but me knew about this place?

 

 

Jiyong’s POV

 

I lived in this town when I was young so it felt good to come back to this place.Memories washed over me as I remembered the times my grandfather flew kites with me on this field. I’ve heard there was a train station that was built here after I moved away but it had closed down yet again.

 

As I walked towards the now abandoned train station, I spotted a girl at the train station and she was concentrating on a pink diary.

 

As I came closer, I realized it was the girl I bumped into yesterday.

 

A wide smile spread over my face, and my heart started beating rapidly against my chest. I sent a silent thank you to whoever I owe this luck to, elated over the fact that I got to see her again. She was all I could think of yesterday. Something about her just attracts me- maybe it was her goddess like looks, maybe it was her shyness that made her absolutely adorable, or maybe it was that lonely aura of hers.

 

I came closer to her and she turned back, looking shock when she saw me.

 

I flashed her a smile. ”Hi! We meet again!”

 

“Meet…?” Confusion was written all over her face, but it quickly disappeared.

 

“Jiyong…?” she said, uncertainly.

 

I nodded, and said teasingly, “You sure have a bad memory, huh?”

 

A look of pain flashed in her eyes. Startled, I quickly apologized. “Hey, I’m sorry. I was just joking!”

 

“It’s okay.” She said timidly. Silence fell between us, while she studies me curiously and I look at her back.

 

“Ssantokki” I blurted out randomly.

 

“What?” Dara said, looking at me weirdly.

 

I blushed, embarrassed. “Eh…well you kind of look like a rabbit so I’m just giving you a… nickname? Ehehehe…” I smiled sheepishly, mentally facepalming myself for acting so stupid.

 

Silence. I was about to kill myself for acting like a total idiot, when she suddenly burst out laughing.

 

I stare at her, surprised. Soon, I was laughing along with her. We didn’t know what was so funny, but soon, we clutching our stomach and bending from laughing too much. It had felt good laughing like that with someone, not giving a single damn about anything.

 

Neither did I know, that was the start of our friendship, which soon blossom to something more…

 

 

Author’s POV

 

It’s finally afternoon, and Dara excuses herself as she hurries home. Not before promising Jiyong that she will meet him again at the same time, same place, tomorrow.

 

She whistles a light tune, feeling the happiest she has felt in ages. Maybe… it’s because she’s finally in love.