⚪ Fix Me 🔵

Sea of Radishes
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Wheein sighed as she looked outside of the plane window. She saw the earth below and her mind started wandering off to Hyejin, but she quickly stopped herself. She already promised herself that she would move on. She shook her head and she was going to stand up, if it wasn't for the woman who sat beside her. 

 

Wheein looked at the woman and noticed she was crying as she slept on her shoulder. 

 

Wheein hesitated to stand up, especially when she noticed that the woman was crying. 

 

"No.. Don't go... Please..." , the woman mumbled in her sleep. 

 

Wheein felt guilty somehow. She took out a handkerchief and gently tapped the woman's arm, waking her up. 

 

The woman opened her eyes and saw Wheein. 

 

Wheein gestured to her eyes and the woman wiped her tears, a little embarrassed. 

 

"Thanks.." , the woman uttered. 

 

Wheein nodded and smiled curtly before she stood up. 

 

Hours later, the plane landed in the airport. Wheein got off with a big sigh. She hoped that coming back to America would give her the freedom she needed, away from the heartaches of the past. 

 

Months would then pass, and Wheein went on with her life. She found a little bit of comfort in her solitude, and she often played the piano in her apartment. Somehow, someone would always reply to her with another piano note. 

 

Wheein had been tempted to find out where and who the other pianist was, but she knew it was not important. What was important was that she was finally moving on... Or not. 

 

Taehyung called Wheein one day. With a soft tone, he informed Wheein that Hyejin was pregnant with her and Hyuk-woo's second child. 

 

Wheein couldn't do anything but cry silently. She had told herself over and over again to get over Hyejin. However, her heart was still so stubborn. She was still hurting like hell and she could only shed tears to ease the pain. 

 

The next morning, Wheein woke up with puffy eyes. She went out of her apartment to get some air and bumped into the woman who lived across her. Wheein recognized the woman as the same person who she sat next to on the plane. "You.." 

 

"I'm sorry, do I know you..?", the woman asked Wheein. 

 

"Oh, I don't think we've met before. Sorry.." 

 

"That's alright. You live across me, right?" 

 

"Yeah." 

 

"You are my neighbor, then", the woman smiled and her round cheeks became prominent. 

 

For some reason, Wheein wanted to squeeze the woman's cheeks. She quickly brushed off the urge, thinking it was a weird thought. 

 

Wheein continued with her day despite having a headache from not getting enough sleep last night. She drove around the town and visited the properties she owned. She only returned to her apartment later that evening to eat some dinner. She was planning to go out to get some drink. 

 

Suddenly, right after she had finished eating, Wheein heard knocking on her door. She raised a brow as she wondered who it could be. It was odd for someone to come looking for her. She owned the place so it couldn't be the landlady. She was also sure that no one knew her here. In all the five months that she had been living in her apartment, no one had visited her. 

 

Wheein became suspicious and decided to proceed with caution. She took slow, careful steps towards the door, getting ready to grab any nearby object to hit an unwanted guest with. 

 

Much to her surprise, Wheein found her neighbor in front of her door. She looked at the woman who was obviously drunk, as her face was red and she was grinning from ear to ear. 

 

Wheein's neighbor threw herself towards Wheein and tackled her to the ground, catching Wheein off guard. 

 

Wheein hit the ground with a thud, the woman on top of her. She looked up and her neighbor was still smiling sheepishly. 

 

Needless to say, Wheein panicked. It became even worse when the woman started talking and crying. 

 

"You're so unfair! You said you'll always be there! But you left..! Why?! Why did you have to go?! Why did it have to be us?", the woman uttered. Tears rolled down her face and fell on Wheein's cheeks. 

 

Wheein felt pity for the woman, but she had to move now. She got up after struggling for a while. She glanced down on the woman who was still sobbing. She knew she couldn't leave her on the floor. She sighed and picked her up, bringing her to her bedroom. 

 

Wheein laid her neighbor down on her bed slowly. She sighed, watching the woman who just stopped crying. She then went to the couch on her living room to get some sleep. Hopefully, her neighbor will explain everything tomorrow. 

 

The next morning, Wheein wake up early to cook breakfast. She almost had a heart attack when she saw her neighbor up and drinking water in her kitchen. 

 

"What the-!.. Oh​ goodness, you scared me.. I thought it was a thief.. ", Wheein exclaimed. 

 

"Sorry for surprising you", the woman replied apologetically. 

 

"It's fine. How are you doing? Are you okay? You seemed really drunk yesterday.. You must be hungover", Wheein said. By drunk, she meant having completely no awareness of anything. 

 

"I'm okay..", the woman tried to smile but she felt her head throb and she could not stop herself from muttering, "Ow.." 

 

Wheein shook her head and pointed to a chair. "Why don't you take a seat? I'll make you some tea. While you're at it, have breakfast with me", she said as she proceeded to cook some food. 

 

"There's no need, really..", the woman declined the offer. 

 

"I insist", Wheein responded with a gentle tone as she eyed the woman. 

 

"Oh. Okay", the woman took a seat and waited silently. 

 

The room would have been completely quiet without the sound of Wheein chopping ingredients and cooking food. She focused on her work, despite feeling the woman's eyes on her. 

 

"I can feel your stare. Is there something you want to ask me?", Wheein queried, unable to fight the awkward silence. 

 

"Uhm.. I didn't do anything weird last night, did I?", the woman asked nervously. 

 

"Nope. Other than you entering my apartment smelling like alcohol, I guess there's nothing else", Wheein answered, despite being fully aware that it will embarrass her neighbor. 

 

"I'm so sorry about what I did last night. I had a drink and asked my friend to drop me off here. I must have confused your room for mine. I'm really sorry.. ", Wheein's neighbor apologized and covered her face. 

 

"There's no need to worry. It's already been done", Wheein replied, grabbing some eggs and boiling them. 

 

"Still.. It would have been so much worse if I had ended up somewhere else. Thank you for taking care of me despite being a stranger.." 

 

"Can you tell me your name? That way, you wouldn't be a complete stranger to me", Wheein turned around and gazed at her neighbor while the food was cooking behind her. 

 

The woman looked up at Wheein and answered, "My name is Kim Yongsun."

 

"You're also Korean, huh? I see. Well, I'm Jung Wheein. Nice to meet you, Yongsun" 

 

"Jung Wheein... Where have I heard that name from..?", Yongsun mumbled. It then occurred to her and her eyes widened when she realized. "Wheein?!​ You're the same Wheein who owns this building??", Yongsun​ gasped. 

 

"Yeah", Wheein replied briefly. 

 

"You're not going to kick me out of this place, are you?", Yongsun asked nervously. 

 

Wheein smiled in amusement and responded, "Why would I do that?" 

 

"Maybe I freaked you out with what I did.. Or even worse.. I must have cried again..", Yongsun looked down. 

 

"Well..", Wheein turned her attention to her cooking when she heard boiling. "..You did cry. But who doesn't?" 

 

Yongsun became even more embarrassed. She sank into the chair. She must've looked so pathetic last night. 

 

"There's no need to worry. To be honest, this isn't the first time I've seen you cry", Wheein placed two clean plates on the dining table after putting out the fire and peeling the boiled eggs. She served the boiled eggs and some vegetable soup on a bowl. 

 

Yongsun was extremely curious as she asked Wheein, "What do you mean? This is the first time I've met you.." 

 

"I promise you, this isn't", Wheein sat down across Yongsun. "You must've forgotten about it. Remember five months ago? On the plane, we sat next to each other. You were crying in your sleep so I gave you my handkerchief." 

 

Yongsun suddenly remembered. "Ahh! You were that lady... I didn't really recognize you.. But I still have your handkerchief. Do you want it back?" 

 

"I'll leave it with you. I think you need it more", Wheein replied. "I hope you're not allergic to any of these..", she uttered, referring to the food. 

 

"I don't have allergies", Yongsun replied. 

 

"Let's eat", Wheein advocated, to which Yongsun nodded. 

 

The two dig in and enjoy the meal. 

 

Yongsun then left after having breakfast and tea. She thanked Wheein before she headed to her own room. 

 

Wheein felt light for the first time in a while. She couldn't deny that a little company didn't hurt. 

 

That afternoon, Wheein played the piano again. She played a happier tone than usual, and she heard a reply from somewhere. Wheein smiled unknowingly as her fingers ran across the piano keys. She became lost in the melody, forgetting the harsh reality of life for a moment. 

 

One day, while Wheein was on her way back to her room, she noticed Yongsun struggling to open her door with all the paper bags she was carrying. 

 

Wheein quickly helped Yongsun out, something which made Yongsun grateful. 

 

"Thank you, Wheein", Yongsun said after she entered her apartment. 

 

"No worries", Wheein simply replied with a faint smile. She went inside her own apartment and sat on the couch. She was a little happy with the fact that she now had someone to talk to, until she received another call from her ex-husband, who informed her that Hyejin's second child was a boy. 

 

Wheein was then reminded of the past again. She wanted to throw her phone out of frustration but she managed to calm herself. She tried to stop her fingers from trembling so hard. She choked back the tears that were threatening to escape her eyes. Why did it still hurt? Everytime she was making progress on moving on, someone would come along to drag her back to the dark. 

 

Wheein closed her eyes. It did not help. The stabbing pain was still in her chest. She looked at the photo on the nightstand beside her bed and sighed. When was the last time she smiled like in the photo? She couldn't remember. She put the photo down and went to her kitchen. 

 

Glancing at the knives, a thought crossed Wheein's mind. What if she simply ended things with her own hands? She was tired of always feeling like hell. But she shook her head. She couldn't give in to the dark thoughts. She decided to distract herself with her piano. This time, she played a melancholic piece. The response was even more melancholic, and it almost made Wheein tear up. 

 

Weeks passed by. Wheein and Yongsun would often run into each other on the hallway, and they would give each other an acknowledging nod. 

 

One rainy Tuesday, Yongsun sat outside her apartment door. She hugged her knees and she seemed asleep at first glance. 

 

Wheein saw Yongsun. She had just returned from a trip outside of town and was about to enter her apartment room, but she chose to sit across Yongsun. 

 

The two sat on the hallway, opposite each other. 

 

"Oh, hey Wheein", Yongsun said as she looked up at Wheein, surprising the other a little. 

 

"What are you doing here, Yongsun?", Wheein asked, leaning her head against the door behind her. 

 

"I don't know, Wheein... I just..", Yongsun paused and looked away. There was hesitation in her eyes. She sighed and answered, "I feel useless." 

 

"Hmm? Why?", Wheein muttered softly, trying to find Yongsun's gaze. 

 

"I'm a nurse. I'm supposed to take care of others. But I can't even take care of myself..", Yongsun scoffed at herself. 

 

"You're a nurse?"

 

"Yeah. I work at the nearest hospital from here" 

 

There was silence for a moment.

 

"Yongsun..", Wheein called out. 

 

"What is it, Wheein?", Yongsun responded. 

 

"Can you fix me?", Wheein eyed Yongsun with sincerity. 

 

"Do you have any injuries?", Yongsun asked, a little concerned. 

 

"Nothing that I can see. But I think I'm broken, Yongsun." 

 

"I can't fix you, Wheein. I'm broken too",Yongsun replied with a shaky voice. A tear rolled down her cheeks as she mumbled, "I'm so useless.." 

 

Wheein sighed and stood up to wipe away Yongsun's tears. "You're not useless, alright?", she whispered. She felt like crying as well, but she managed to hold back. "What do you say we cook dinner at my place?", she offered. 

 

Yongsun nodded at Wheein's suggestion. She stood up and tried to put on a smile. 

 

Wheein attempted to smile back and almost laughed at her failed effort. She opened the door to her apartment and let Yongsun in. 

 

Yongsun stepped foot on Wheein's apartment again. The last time she was here, she caused trouble. But this time, she was going to help Wheein. 

 

Time passed by quickly. Wheein and Yongsun ate dinner together peacefully. They were both silent and did not say anything to each other. 

 

Later in the evening, Wheein suggested that Yongsun sleep in her place. She was anxious about Yongsun's wellbeing and wanted to keep an eye on her. 

 

Yongsun agreed, and Wheein led her to the bed. 

 

Wheein chose to sleep on the couch after letting Yongsun sleep in her bed. 

 

It was past midnight when Wheein was awakened by murmurs that came from the bedroom. She quickly got up and checked on Yongsun. 

 

Just as she expected, Wheein saw Yongsun talking in her sleep. She tapped Yongsun's shoulder and woke her up. 

 

".. Moonbyul..?", Yongsun muttered as she opened her eyes, confused about what was going on. She looked around and tears cascaded on her face when she realized that the person she was looking for wasn't there. 

 

"It's me, Yongsun", Wheein said. She didn't know this who Moonbyul was, but she was sure that she heard Yongsun mumbling the name earlier. 

 

"Wheein..", Yongsun broke into sobs. She pulled Wheein into a hug. "I thought.." 

 

"You were crying in your sleep again", Wheein said. She couldn't do anything but gently Yongsun's hair and pat her back to console her. "It's gonna be okay, Yongsun. I'm here..", she whispered softly.

 

Yongsun kept crying until Wheein brought her water. She then went back to sleep as Wheein watched her. 

 

The next morning, the two were both yawning widely. The only difference was that Yongsun had puffy eyes. Wheein realized that most of the times she had seen Yongsun, she had puffy eyes from crying. 

 

Wheein pulled up a chair for Yongsun, gesturing at her to sit down. 

 

Yongsun sat down as she watched Wheein make breakfast.

"Hey, Wheein?" 

 

"Yeah?" 

Please log in to read the full chapter