One

A Cherished Ray
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The stage was set, lighting rigs were in placed but the unexpected had happened as rain began to pour down heavily even though the weather forecast had stated otherwise. Shin Hye put on a disposable poncho and got busy helping the other road crew to reinforce and protect the stage that would later be used to introduce up and coming musicians from the local Korean scene. The road crew under the leadership of Shin Hye’s uncle, Mr Kim managed to overcome what could have been a major obstacle efficiently.

“Good job guys, now we can take a break. I will expect you to be at your designated location by 1800hrs, and make sure your walkie talkie and handphone batteries are fully charged as well. As always, we can do these guys!” stated Mr Kim, as he continued, “Let’s have a good show tonight!” The crew gave a roaring cheer before dispersing. He then stepped down from the platform he was on and walked over to Shin Hye.

“Shin Hye-ya, have you eaten?”

She looked at him as she gave a slight smile. Mr Kim took it as an indicator that she had not had food as he exclaimed, “How can you not have eaten something? It will be a long day today… This will not do…”

“But Uncle, I don’t have any appetite…”

“Are you still troubled? I thought by making you stay with me it would do you some good. I should not have suggested it to your parents if that was the case.”

“No uncle. Do not say that. It is doing me some good. Definitely. A hundred percent.”

“Then? Am I not a good caretaker? You know your mom; my sister will not stop nagging at me if you are not well…”

“I am sorry uncle. I was busy trying to make sure the lighting and the graphics matches the description of the musicians that would be performing.”

“Shin Hye, you are here to not just work for me, you know. You are here to be the teenager that you are. To live like a normal teenager would. Get an education, maybe work part-time if you want to and be free from all the rigid schedules.”

“But uncle… This IS me taking a break. I like what I'm doing right now. I am living my life. Visual effects, graphics, and sounds. On top of that, I'll be starting school soon, so I won't be able to help you out much when that starts. And most importantly, I’m able to spend time with you. What’s not to like? You know you are my role model, right?”

“Shin Hye, don’t ever say that… Your father will hate me even more.”

“Okay, okay… Just between us? How about that?”

“Arasso~ Come with me, let’s go eat… I haven’t had anything too…”

“What?! Yet you are nagging at me like I was the only one…”

“I knew that ever since I saw you that you are very similar to me…”

“Oh gosh! Uncle~~~”

“Did I go overboard?”

“Yeah… You did, but it’s not so bad… I like it…” as she smiled looking at Mr Kim.

When they sat down and began to eat, her uncle looks at her and said, “ I've been meaning to ask you but having back to back projects made it impossible for me to ask. Whenever we were done, both of us would be dead tired to talk."

Shin Hye laughed upon hearing Mr Kim's comment before she replied, "Being busy saves me from all the possible awkward conversations that a niece could have with her uncle though."

"YA! How could you..." but before Mr Kim could finish what he wanted to say, Shin Hye immediately intejects with an apology accompanied with a touch of aegyo, "Mianhaeyo samchun..."

"Wah~~ You're unbelievable..."

Shin Hye let out a laugh yet again before she asked, "So, uncle, what is it that you wanted to ask me about?"

"Well, I just wanted to check in with you. It's been more than four months you've joined us, is it tough to be working with me? Did any of my crew members gave you a hard time?”

“Well… It would be a lie to say that it’s easy… But I’m still a newbie… It’s only right for me to be corrected if I did anything wrong in order to be better… Now the stage manager and me get along just fine…”

“Good to know that… Can’t believe how much you’ve grown… The stage manager can be strict but she needs to be… The only way to get the show to run smoothly. Nevertheless, she appreciates people who can do their work well…”

“Yeah… She does… And uncle, don’t forget, I’m a fast learner… So, it didn't take her long before she trusts me…”

“A fast learner, you certainly are, Shin Hye…” said her uncle as he patted her head.

The concert was well underway and the rain had begun to subside earlier on, Shin Hye was backstage and was ever ready to assist the stage manager in any way possible. She heeded every instruction that was given to her.

“Ssinz, I need you to get the next band ready…”

“Alright… Right away…” as she walked towards the tented area where the musicians were gathered. She then looks at the chart that she had and began to walk towards the table where the next group were supposed to be at. She was surprised to see the table empty and approached another musician that were seated by the vicinity,

“I’m sorry, do you have any idea where they went?” asked Shin Hye as she pointed to the empty table.

“I saw them walked out earlier…” as the musician pointed out the direction before he continued, “But I have no idea where they had gone to…”

“Alright, thank you…” replied Shin Hye as she began to move in the direction that the musician had just shown her. She then began to call out for the band’s name, “ATTIC MOTH? I’m looking for the band, it is almost your turn now…” She stopped when she heard a commotion causing her to instantaneously hide behind a promotional stand. She slowly approached them when the commotion finally died down and saw four boys gathered, now staring at her, after hearing mud sploshing from her footsteps.

“Are you the band, Attic Moth?” as she cautiously asked.

“Yeah…” came a reply from one of them.

“Oh good… You need to get ready… Follow me…”

“I don’t think we can play today…” came a sombre reply from another.

“Huh? What do you mean?”

“His guitar…” To which Shin Hye walked closer to notice that one of them was holding on to a guitar that not only had the strings broken but it was all covered in mud, before letting out an, “Oh…”

“We’re sorry… But I don’t think we can play tonight…”

Shin Hye was tapping the side of her thigh with her fingers as she gave a quick thought before stating, “Is that a Stratocaster?”

“What about it?” As the person who was holding onto the guitar finally spoke.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter