Concerns and Confusions

Scrubs and Turnouts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The chaos caused by the five-alarm fire seemed to melt away as Captain Kim Taeyeon fell to the ground.

 

"Captain!"

 

The firefighters from Seoul Central ran as they tried to get to their fallen leader as soon as they could.

 

The chief's commands sliced through the chaos, orchestrating the efforts to extricate Taeyeon from the hazardous environment.

 

"Get the child to safety, and get the aid car ready for Captain Kim over here right now!"

 

Sooyoung, who was standing on the sideline, was unable to move. This is the first time that she saw their leader fall like that. It was something she never thought she'd see, especially not with their Captain. Taeyeon has always put their safety first in every call. Always following protocols to make sure no one will be hurt while they try to help people. 

 

But now this...

 

"Careful there, watch her head!" barked Donghae as they eased Taeyeon onto the stretcher, their hands working in unison to stabilize her body.

 

"Monitor her vitals closely," the chief's voice was a blend of authority and concern. "We need to make sure she's stable during transport. And make sure she's secured, we don't know what happened inside. There could be internal injuries we don't know about."

 

Paramedics rushed to Taeyeon's side, their gloved hands working deftly as they administered oxygen and assessed her condition. Gently, they secured her onto a stretcher, shielding her from the raging inferno.

 

"Steady, everyone, We've got this" urged Yuri, trying to stay calm despite the horror of seeing their Captain in the current situation. "I'll be riding with Captain," she said, getting inside the ambulance.

 

As the ambulance hurtled through the city streets, Taeyeon's unconscious form lay on the stretcher, surrounded by the urgency of the medical team. Inside, the beeping of the monitors created a tense symphony, underscoring the gravity of the situation. 

 

Sunny, being the on-call doctor at the hospital and a friend of Taeyeon, was already waiting at the emergency entrance of the hospital, ready to receive the injured firefighter as she got a call about her arrival.

 

Further inside the hospital, the bustling corridors were a world of their own. Dr. Tiffany Hwang was immersed in her rounds, her steps guided by the routine she had come to embrace. However, the sudden commotion shattered her sense of normalcy, and she heard bits of what the other medical staff are talking about.

 

"Did you hear about Captain Kim?" the nurse's voice was hushed, carrying weight of worry.

 

"Yeah, I heard the page about it," another nurse replied, her expression a mix of concern and disbelief. "This is serious."

 

Tiffany watched, a knot forming in her stomach, as stretchers whizzed by, accompanied by a flurry of medical personnel. The urgency in their movements was evident, and as her gaze honed in on the patient they were transporting, her heart seemed to miss a beat.

 

Captain Kim?

 

Tiffany couldn't quite believe what she was seeing. Taeyeon's blonde hair was streaked with soot, and her uniform, which was once a symbol of her strength, now hung limply on her body. Tiffany's eyes traced the dark smudges and patches on Taeyeon's dark blue uniform, evidence of the intense heat and smoke she had battled through. Her face, covered with a layer of grime that seemed impossible to wash away.

 

As Tiffany's gaze moved down Taeyeon's form, she couldn't help but notice the burns that marred her skin. Angry red patches intertwined with the soot. 

 

Was she not wearing her gear? Wait. She was not in her turnout?!

 

The sight of these burns was a stark contrast to the strength and fearlessness that Taeyeon exuded in her role as a leader.

 

Tiffany's heart ached as she took in the state of Taeyeon's hands, marred by blisters and patches of raw, exposed flesh. Tiffany's fingers twitched involuntarily as if yearning to reach out and offer comfort, reactions that she has no idea about where they're all coming from.

 

"Dr. Hwang!" called out Sunny's voice from the midst of the commotion. "Good you're here, I need an assist in Trauma Room 2, stat!"

 

Tiffany's breath caught in as a wave of shock washed over her. She's not sure why she feels so affected about seeing Taeyeon in that state but she couldn't shake the dread that enveloped her.

 

She barely knew Taeyeon. And the few times that she came across with her was not exactly fun interactions. But she has always seen Captain Kim Taeyeon standing tall, with an air of confidence in her being.

 

So seeing her like this is just...

 

"Move, move!" Sunny's commands were clear and urgent as the medical team worked in a synchronized frenzy to transfer Taeyeon onto a hospital bed.

 

As the medical team rallied around Taeyeon, Tiffany found herself lingering at the threshold of the emergency room, a silent observer of a moment that seemed suspended in time.

 

"We need to stabilize her airway and assess her injuries," Sunny's voice seemed to drown out of Tiffany's ears as she watched every move inside the room.

 

"Let's get a portable X-ray in here," the general surgeon continued, her gaze unwavering as she directed the medical team's efforts. "We need to rule out any fractures or internal injuries since nobody seems to know what happened to the captain inside that darn warehouse."

 

"Dr. Hwang, we need to establish IV access," called out one of the nurses, but Tiffany stayed rooted in her spot.

 

Sunny's orders were quick and concise, the urgency in her tone matching the gravity of the situation. She saw how unresponsive Tiffany is the whole time during this ordeal. And although she was a bit confused on how her colleague got too affected about this, she decided to set that aside for now. She needed her full attention to be in Captain Kim Taeyeon only. "We need to clear her airway."

 

Tiffany still stood there, her heart heavy with a mixture of emotions she struggled to name. The sight of Captain Kim Taeyeon, once the embodiment of strength and confidence, now lying unconscious and in need of help. 

 

How is that even possible?

 

Sunny's voice was a steady presence in the chaos, guiding the medical team's efforts with a blend of expertise and empathy. "We need to focus on her airway and oxygenation first. She inhaled a significant amount of smoke during the fire."

 

Sunny worked swiftly to ensure Taeyeon's lungs was receiving the necessary support. 

 

"Let's get a blood gas analysis," Sunny ordered, her gaze never leaving Taeyeon's pale face. "We need to monitor her carbon monoxide levels and assess her overall oxygenation."

 

The emergency room hummed with activity, beeping monitors, hushed voices, and the steady rhythm of life-saving measures. Minutes stretched into eternity as the medical team worked diligently to stabilize Taeyeon's condition. 

 

Just outside the emergency room, Sooyoung and Yuri paced back and forth, whil Leeteuk and Key sat on the bench, staring out in space. Donghae, at the corner of the room, stood with arms crossed, looking gloomily at the floor. The tension in the space was apparent, each passing second laden with the weight of uncertainty. Of so much concern for their Captain.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter