Urgent Calls and Flaring Tempers

Scrubs and Turnouts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Let's get her out of there quickly." 

 

Taeyeon's gaze momentarily shifted from the task at hand to the owner of the voice that cut through the chaos. A woman in pink scrubs entered their scene, eyes already assessing the situation.

 

Taeyeon is not familiar with the woman. Never seen her before in the many times that she took a patient in the hospital through the aid car. The woman's commanding presence drew attention as she immediately focused on Jiyeon, evaluating the urgency of the labor.

 

It didn't sit well with Captain Kim Taeyeon how the woman didn't even bother to greet them or introduce herself. Sure, there is an extremely urgent matter at hand, but isn't it a common courtesy to at least introduce herself to the responders present at the scene?

 

The newcomer's full attention seems to be reserved for Jiyeon though as her voice sliced through the commotion. "How long till you can get her out?" Her demanding tone carried a weight that made Taeyeon's eye twitch in annoyance.

 

Just who is this woman?

 

"We're being cautious, Ma'am." Taeyeon retorted, her voice laced with a hint of defensiveness. "We can't---"

 

"It's Doctor. Dr. Tiffany Hwang, if you will." The doctor's focus remained steadfast on Jiyeon, not even sparing Taeyeon a glance as she corrected her. 

 

"Dr. Hwang." Taeyeon repeated, her annoyance growing every second. "We can't simply pull her out, we cannot afford to risk causing her more harm."

 

"Every moment matters here. We must act swiftly to ensure both her and the baby's safety. So if you could just make it quick."

 

Taeyeon's frustration simmered, fueled by the doctor's unwavering stance. This is her scene. Why does it feel like the woman is questioning all the decisions being made? And who the heck is she to order her and her team?

 

"Doctor, we're trained for emergencies," Taeyeon's tone grew sharper, the tension evident in her words. "We know how to handle critical situations."

 

The doctor turned her head and her gaze locked onto Taeyeon's. It's the first time since the doctor arrived that Taeyeon get a good glimpse of her. The doctor's unmistakable irritation almost made Taeyeon take a tiny step back. That was one scary glare. 

 

She would never admit that to anyone though.

 

She is a fire captain, for god's sake. Why would she be scared by the gaze of a doctor wearing pink scrubs?

 

"I'm a medical professional, and I understand the intricacies of labor. Now I know you..." The doctor hung her words, seems to be asking for her identity.

 

"Captain Kim Taeyeon." She offered, trying to make her voice as solid and curt as possible.

 

Dr. Hwang raised an eyebrow, which pisses Taeyeon off even more. Isn't it believable that she is the captain of this unit?

 

"Well, Captain Kim Taeyeon, I know you also know how much this woman----"

 

"Jiyeon."

 

"What?"

 

"Her name is Jiyeon."

 

"How much Jiyeon needs proper medical care."

 

"I know that. That's why my team and I are doing the best that we can to ensure that we take her out of this without incurring more injuries."

 

"So, why is it taking so long then?" The doctor challenged. "The baby could be in distress right now."

 

"Like I said, we're being cautious---"

 

"Too cautious, if you ask me."

 

"Well, I'm not asking you, doctor."

 

The tension escalated as the doctor's insistence clashed with Taeyeon. Their fiery exchange intensifying with each passing moment.

 

Taeyeon's lips thinned, her frustration evident. "Look. We're not disregarding the urgency,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter