Overreach

Regrets and Reminiscences (prev title: Turning Back Time)

 

Tonight was their anniversary and he promised to take her out. Wearing the dress that he sent her, she patiently waited for him to arrive. Minutes later, a car arrived. A gleam of hope lit up in her face, pleasantly surprised that he was actually punctual this time. She peered at the car’s window only to be disappointed that a different person was there.

 

Jung Jessica, when would you ever learn?

 

She should have known that when he said “He”, he actually meant “his car” or “his driver.”

 

Since when did he become synonymous with his driver?

 

Oh, she remembered.  Since he started his own company. From that time on, his driver had become his substitute,his proxy for all those dates that he promised to give her or he promised to come to but he ended up ditching.

 

As she got into the car, she reminisced about the old times when this flashy car was still inexistent, and when public transportation was still in for them. Those were the times when she could still wear the shirt-and-jean ensemble in their dates instead of the glamorous dresses and the glittery bags.  No fancy restaurants, just a snack from the sidewalk vendors will do.  Those were the times when he could still fit her in his schedule, when he could still be around with her. She wanted to relive them all. But now he’s busy. So busy building his own company that he did not realize their relationship that was crumbling away.

 

The car stopped in front of the company. His driver told her that they just have to wait for him until he closed the deal with their client. He promised that he would be just quick and it would just take around about 5 minutes. All those times, her eyes almost never left the clock on the dashboard.

 

He broke his promise.

 

5 minutes became 10 minutes.

 

10 minutes became 15 minutes.

 

15 minutes became 20 until half an hour passed.

 

No appearance of him.

 

“Miss Jessica, Mr. Kim Heechul said he’s not gonna make it. If you want to go to some place, he said that you could just ask me to drive you there. He said that you can also use his credit card if you want to buy something.”

 

She had foreseen this. It happened many times already and she could not even count in her fingers how many times he ditched her and how many instances she had been sitting at the back of the car all by herself.

 

She had witnessed this scene so many times. She’s sure the next day, he would come to her house and woo her with gifts to make up for it. And there she would go again, accepting his apology for the umpteenth time. It has always been like that and she was getting tired of it. She does not like being used to it anymore. She is getting tired of overreaching herself to him, trying to let him realize her existence in his life. She had enough.

 

How could he be so unfair? She hates the fact that it is always her who tries to understand him. She is always the one who has to adjust to him. Why can’t he try to understand her for once? Why can’t he put himself to her shoes?  She had always been the one exerting the effort to reach out to him. But him, what did he do? He just disregarded her. He might not admit it but it shows and that’s how she felt all this time.

 

She does not need those presents. She just needs his presence. It’s not his wealth that she’s going to marry. Not the flashy cars, shimmering dresses and jewelries, and branded bags. It’s him. The living person. She intends to love and marry him… only him. Sadly, that’s the one thing that was so difficult to have. The Kim Heechul that she once knew was now gone and she does not know where to find him again.

 

Watching the vapor that has formed from the rain on the car window, she decided to leave him a message. Using her fingers to trace the letters, she wrote there the single word to end it all.

 

Goodbye.

 

She heaved a sigh and looked straight at her reflection on the rear side view mirror. Then a tear fell from her eye.

 

The truth sometimes hurts. Admission can be painful. Especially if you are admitting to yourself that you are not anymore one of his top priorities.

 

She wiped her tear away. He is already doing well on his own and he seems to not need her anymore. She might as well leave and set her own path and find herself.

 

She opened the car door and immediately got off.

 

“Where are you going, Miss Jung?”

 

“I’m going home. Perhaps I’ll find myself there.”

 

She loves him but sorry she has to leave. She could not bear to see her love being taken for granted and she does not want to regret it later. It’s better to end this before it’s too late.



 

Just imagine that Sica wrote "Goodbye" on the car window...