The Bride Who Got Away

Regrets and Reminiscences (prev title: Turning Back Time)

 

“Im Yoona, are you willing to take Kim Kibum’s hand as his loving wife for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, till death do you part?”

 

The words just seem to pass through her ears but they did not reach her mind for her mind was already somewhere far away. She was there physically present, standing in front of the altar clad in her simple white wedding gown but she was mentally absent. He looked at the man beside her. It was his image that flitted. No matter how hard she tried to forget him, he was still there lurking somewhere in the crevices of her brain.

 

“Yoona…” Kibum nudged her with his words. The preacher cleared his throat. “Yoona-shi, I will repeat the question. He repeated the question and once again it just drifted and passed by like a wind. She looked at the people sitting inside the hall. They were all waiting for her answer. How long had she been zoning out? She could completely imagine her parents sitting at the edge of their seats praying for her not to ruin this. But she could not help but feel isolated inside that chamber. She felt like she did not belong there. She was not in the right place. Her heart was not in the right place.

 

Donghae…

 

Where is he when the preacher said “speak now”? Where is he when he should make an appearance to stop this wedding? Has he given up on us already?

 

For the third time, she was asked that same question. Spectators started talking in hushed voices. Her husband-to-be glanced at her tensely. He was sensing the unwanted fate.

 

“Miss Im Yoona, are you willing to-“

 

“No.”

 

She blurted out and instantly the loud whispers were replaced by gasps which were followed by the great buzzing of voices.

 

That was right. She was not willing. She was just forcing herself to be here. Initially, she thought she could but she just found out that she was mistaken when in her heart and in her mind, it only contained him.

 

“I’m sorry.” She mouthed to her upset groom.

 

She took off her veil and dropped it to the ground. She shot a glance at her parents, her apologetic eyes telling them that she was sorry she failed them. However, she could not imagine life with another guy aside from him. Kibum once told her that he was willing to wait for her until she got over her past love. But she doubted he could wait forever, for her heart knew that it would take a lifetime for her to completely get over her Lee Donghae.

 

She had been going with the flow ever since. But now, she wanted to become a new Yoona. The Yoona that is willing to go against it.

 

She picked up the front of her gown allowing ample space for her feet to move. She darted back to the red-carpeted aisle and towards the wooden doors. She pushed them open and she was welcomed by the cold wintry air. The snow crunched under her feet as her heeled shoes treaded on them. White snow showered on her as if the heaven was giving its blessing to her decision.

 

She ignored the cold as she ran to the streets. Wherever he might be, she would find him and go back to him. She would not stop running until she finds him. She had been silly, she knew it. She admitted it. One pointless argument and then they set off to their separate ways. Then she recklessly entered into that arranged marriage, her desperate attempt to prove to him that she could replace him. However, it got the better of her. So she was now here under this snowy sky searching for him, trying to turn back the hands of time when no one else could. She would tell him that she wanted to be back in his arms, to do the things they used to do back to those good old times.

 

No matter how this plan would end up, she would accept it. At least she tried. At least she would not have  another regret.

 

Her tired legs slowed down to a walk as she got nearer to his place. At the end of the road, she spotted the small coffee shop where she first met him. It was the humble business owned by his family. In front of it, there was a car parked and in that car, there was….

 

“Donghae!”

 

She ran hurriedly to it but the car sped fast in front of her. She saw the “Closed: For Sale” sign hanging on the front door of the shop.

 

“Are you looking for the family who owns this coffee shop?” an old man approached her. “As you can see, they just left. I heard they are leaving for Taiwan. They said that they are going to stay there for good.”

 

For good.That phrase struck her like a thunder. She would never see him again. She did not even have a chance to tell him how much she’s sorry, how much she regretted that day, and how much… just how much she loves him. Her lips quivered and tears began to sting her eyes. The soft snow that fell to her bare shoulder suddenly felt so much colder. She crouched in front of the shop and sobbed with her face buried in her hands.

 

“Come back… Please… Hae…”

 

Something heavy dropped on her shoulders and it provided her some warmth. It was a jacket.

 

“Who told you to soak yourself under this heavy snow? Do you know how much I will worry if you get sick?”

 

She only knew one person who would scold her like that. She stood up and found herself face to face with her only love.

 

“Donghae… I thought -”

 

“We are about to leave but I got a feeling that I am missing something huge in my life. I realize it’s you so I come back.”

 

Donghae saw her reflection in the rear-side view mirror and that was when he asked the driver to stop the car.

 

“Why son? Have you forgotten something?”

 

“Yes, dad… the girl I love.”

 

Yoona wrapped her arms around his waist and engage herself in a tight embrace while Donghae kissed her forehead. Amidst the beautiful snowfall, the two hearts finally made its reunion. 



 

Because I miss Kibum so that's why he's here.