Broken Rendezvous

Regrets and Reminiscences (prev title: Turning Back Time)

How many trains have come and go but still there was no sign of him. She had been leaning against the wall, watching people as they passed by her to kill time while she was waiting for him. She glanced at her watch.

 

He was 30 minutes late.

 

She could not blame him. After breaking up with him, she was determined to leave. She went away and left him with no trace to follow. For almost three years, she had gone missing in his life. Then out of the blue, there she was showing up again asking him to meet her, hoping they could mend their past.

 

She had been around the world doing her thing, performing in front of a variety of audience. All that time, she thought it could provide her the greatest happiness. It had been her dream, after all. The dream that costs her to trade her only love.

 

She wished for the glimmering success under the spotlight while he only hoped for a simple life where he would be a dance teacher in his own small dance school. Opposite plans lead them to have opposite paths.

 

The memory was still painfully etched in her mind. The tears, the heartaches, they are still fresh as if it just happened yesterday. The image of him standing outside the closed door of the train, looking at her from behind the glass with his sad eyes, it was perfectly vivid in her mind.

 

“Lately… I have been thinking about… us.”

 

“Don’t say it. I know what you have to say so please don’t say it.”

 

“Hyukjae, you are a fantastic person. You can find someone else… who can give you much more than I can.”

 

“Please don’t say that. I can never love a person other than you.”

 

“You are just saying that.”

 

“No. It’s the truth. I love you, Hyoyeon.”

 

“I don’t want to give you a false hope. So… just let me end this…”

 

The words faded to a whisper and there was silence.

 

Last kiss… last touch… last goodbye.

 

The moment she stepped into the train was the moment they began to take a journey separate from each other.

 

He was already 1 hour late.

 

If there was only a train that offers a ride on a time machine, she will definitely board it. She would travel back to that time. She would get off the train. She would still find him standing on the platform. She would not let go of his hand. She would not break up with him. They would still be in the studio losing themselves to the rhythms of their couple dance, sharing their intimate moments. They would still be having the same train ride home. They would probably be trolling each other, exchanging laughs and smiles. She would still feel his kiss and his tight embrace. There would still be them. They would still be one, instead of separate “you and I”.

 

But, alas! It was all just a dream. A ride on a time machine does not exist.

 

Another glance at her watch and it tells her he’s already one and a half hour late.

 

Is this her punishment for hurting his heart? Are the wounds that she left so deep that he cannot bear to see her again? It crushes her to know that the possibility of reigniting their old flame is now clouded with obscurities. She should have known that when she got on that train, it could be a one-way ticket and finding a way back into him would be a difficult task.

 

They said that if two people were meant for each other, they would end up together no matter what. Fate would find a way for them to be back in each other’s arms. She guessed they were not really meant to be. Perhaps, he had found his match already. Perhaps she should give up.

 

Last glance on her watch. He was two hours late. He would not come.

 

With a last look at the place, she hoisted herself from the wall. She looked far and choked her tears. She promised not to cry if this happens. Kim Hyoyeon does not cry.

 

She walked away. A great future was still ahead of her.

 

It hurts when you found the right person in the wrong time and when the right time came, you found out that the right person was already gone.

"It's like chasing the last train when it's already too late."


A/N:

Not all the stories are happy ending. It's good if I try to write sad endings too.

This is inspired not only by SNSD's Time Machine but also FIX's Please Don't Say MV.

And also this FMV also inspired me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCaX2SEg8Q4

Personally, I want to write a oneshot on Eunhyuk's POV about this.