Chapter 3 : Seungwan Pt.1

My Last Page
Please log in to read the full chapter

***

"Hello, Ms. Son," The young professor begins, "From today onward, I will be your primary attending physician. My team and I will be responsible for your health, care, and treatment.".  

Seungwan stares at the young professor and her team, feeling confused. But Nevertheless, she decides to nod and offer the doctors a small smile.

"Thank you, doctor," the young novelist trails off, trying to read the name tag of the female doctor who appears to be the leader. "Irene Bae... thank you, Doctor Bae."

“you’re welcome Ms. Son” Irene responds warmly.

“Wendy, you can call me Wendy” the young novelist replies

“Alright Wendy-ssi, right now we will personally move you to the VIP room on the 15th floor”

"What?" The young novelist exclaims, "Why? I didn't ask for the VIP room," she continues, puzzled by the unexpected change in accommodation.

Seungwan can see that Irene is also confused. The young professor seems to face her team like she's asking them a question, but her team has the same confused expression on their faces. This makes the young novelist feel even more puzzled. The room falls into a momentary silence.

"I'm sorry, Wendy-ssi," Dr. Bae finally speaks up, "But we have our directive, and our directive is to move you to the VIP ward."

Seungwan feels a little scared, to be honest. Yes, she is a successful novelist, but that doesn't mean she has THAT much money. She doesn't even have a single piece of branded clothing in her wardrobe. How can she afford a VIP room with a whole team of doctors for who knows how long in one of the biggest hospitals in the country? The bill will simply break her to dirt!

“Uhh Dr.Bae, can we maybe speak privately?” Seungwan asks the young professor.

Irene nodded and instruct her team to wait outside before facing the young novelist again.

“Yes, wendy-ssi? Anything you want to talk about?” The young professor asks.

“Uhh I’m sorry Dr.Bae, but I think there has been a misunderstanding here” Seungwan begin, the young novelist start to play with her finger, feeling too embarrassed to continue, but she continued anyway.

“I think I wasn’t supposed to be moved to the VIP ward, I never ask to be moved to the VIP ward, and even if I wanted to, I don’t think I can even pay the bill if you moved me there.”

This comment seemingly makes the young professor even more confused, if seungwan would describe the face that Irene makes in her novel, it would be “Like a fish out of water”. This expression would make the young novelist want to laugh in a different situation, but in this situation, she is just as confused as Irene.

Meanwhile, Irene is also genuinely confused, baffled even. Since this morning, The young professor was consumed in an assumption that this supposedly ‘Important patient’ was going to be some wealthy billionaire heir or the hospital director's cousin.

So to hear this come out of Wendy really surprised her.

“I’m sorry wendy-ssi, can you excuse me for a moment?” the young professor ask Seungwan which she answered with a small nod and again, a smile.

When the young professor leaves the room, Seungwan diverts her gaze to the window again, looking up at the sky. Her mind filled with a lot of things, what will happen this time around? The first and Last time this happened was two years ago and this exact situation feels a little bit too familiar for the young novelist.

***

2 Years ago

Seungwan had always loved the moon. To her, it was a comforting presence, a loyal listener that never judged the young novelist. It was always there for her, on the nights when Seungwan needed to cry, to vent her emotions, and to find solace. Over time, she formed a deep bond with the moon, making it her most trusted and understanding friend besides Seulgi.

Seungwan was writing her second novel on the rooftop of her apartment, yes, she likes to write on the rooftop. Why you may ask? because she is accompanied by the moon.

"Why do I keep feeling tired this whole day?" The young novelist asked herself, feeling puzzled. "I'm not even doing anything at all today."

Seungwan couldn't shake off the persistent fatigue that seemed to have settled upon her. It was unusual, especially since she hadn't exerted herself physically or mentally. To add to her discomfort, she noticed herself sweating profusely, even though it was winter! How could someone keep sweating in WINTER when the temperature is below 0 degrees Celsius?

But Seungwan being Seungwan, she just shrugs it off and continued writing her novel, determined to finish the draft today. Then, out of the blue, she start to feel great pain in her upper left abdomen area. The pain was so intense she even struggled to move her hand. Despite this, she manage to reach her phone, and lucky, Seungwan never set a password, so she unlocked her phone and press her quick dial number.

The call connected, “Hey Wan-ah what's up?” She can hear the bear answer at the end of the line.

“Sseul, help..-“That is the only word she manages to say before suddenly the world turns black.

*

The first thing she hears is a familiar beeping sound, which she recognizes as the heart rate monitor in a hospital. The strong smell of antiseptic fills her senses, confirming her suspicion.

"I'm in a hospital," she realizes.

As Seungwan slowly opens her eyes, she is momentarily blinded by the bright, white light that illuminates the room. Her body feels weak and unresponsive, making even the simplest movement a challenge. She notices a weight in her left hand, and soon, the pressure shifts as someone grasps her hand in return.

"Wan-ah? Are you awake? Wan-ah," the voice is recognizable, her beloved best friend is there.

"She must have searched for me when I fainted back there," Seungwan thinks.

Seulgi hurriedly presses something on the wall, visibly concerned when Seungwan doesn't respond immediately. A few moments later, the young novelist's bed is adjusted, and her oxygen mask is removed. Seulgi is present in the room, surrounded by a few nurses and a doctor.

Seungwan scans the room, feeling the atmosphere is a little bit weird. Her best friend seems a little bit quiet, her face doesn’t have that happy glow the bear usually has.

After a couple of minutes, Seulgi went to Seungwan's side, her face looking sad, and she just stand there, holding the young novelist's hand.

“Seungwan-ah, the doctor has something that you want to know,” her best friend told her. Her voice is so small Seungwan can barely hear it.

“Hello Ms. Son, my name is Dr. Doh Kyungsoo and I am a doctor in the Oncology department at Eunhwa University Hospital.” The doctor started.

"You may know that you are currently at Eunhwa University Hospital. Your friend found you unconscious on the rooftop of your apartment 15 minutes after your phone call ended abruptly and she immediately called the emergency service. Thanks to your friend's quick action, your life was saved. A couple of minutes late, and you could have experienced severe hypothermia.”

Seulgi's grip on her hand tightened slightly, her face reflecting the memory of fear when she discovered Seungwan lying lifeless on the rooftop. The young novelist's body had felt ice-cold, and her face was as pale as a ghost, sending shivers of terror down The Bear's spine.

“Unfortunately, I have very difficult news for you.”

“Difficult news?” Seungwan started to feel anxious, “Seulgi-yah, what happened?” she asked her best friend but Seulgi just stays quiet.

“Ms. Son, you have been unconscious for more than 12 hours, and because of that, Miss Kang here who acted as your guardian, told us to take whatever test we can to find out what exactly happened to you” The doctor explained.

“During the examination, we do a blood test of your blood and find that your lymphocyte count is higher than normal, we asked Ms. Kang can we do a more thorough test and she gave us her consent so we start a Peripheral Blood Smear test and Flow cytometry”

“To put it simply, what we essentially do is a thorough examination of your bloo

Please log in to read the full chapter