Chapter 18 : A plea for miracle

My Last Page
Please log in to read the full chapter

 ***

 

7 am

 

A delicious aroma wafted through the air, teasing Joohyun's senses and gradually rousing her from her sleep. She fluttered her eyes open slowly, adjusting to the soft glow of the sunlight that filtered through the blinds. After a short while, she finally found the strength to rise from her bed and slowly made her way out of the bedroom.

 

The young professor slowly opened the bedroom door only to immediately find her attention drawn to Seungwan who is cooking in the kitchen. The young novelist was humming a tune, her morning hair tousled, dressed in cute pajamas and a charming apron. To Joohyun, she appeared remarkably approachable and beautiful, and she couldn’t help but gaze at her.

 

Seungwan's greeting broke Joohyun from her rather quite obvious reverie. “Oh, hi unnie, good morning. What are you doing there?” Seungwan asked, her warm voice filling the space.

 

Joohyun could feel her cheeks warming as she just got caught staring at the young novelist. She rubbed her neck awkwardly and stammered, “Umm, hi Seungwan-ah, I... I just woke up” Her voice    

 

Seungwan chuckled warmly, her laughter like a soothing balm to Joohyun's embarrassment. “I know, unnie. I mean what are you doing just standing there, I’m cooking us some breakfast. Come here.”

 

“You should've woken me up,” Joohyun said as she slowly approached the young novelist to help her prepare their breakfast.

 

“It’s fine, unnie. You deserve to have some rest” Seungwan said with a smile, her eyes soft and tender.

 

“But still…”

 

“Well, you’re helping me right now, so you are still technically cooking right with me, right?” Seungwan let out a small chuckle, “Don’t worry unnie, I’m fine, I’m thankful for you, but really, I feel fine today”

 

Joohyun sighed, “Okay wan-ah, I just... I wanted to take care of you” she admitted softly.

 

Seungwan's smile remained, and she reassured Joohyun, “And you are, unnie. You are.”

 

*

 

Breakfast proceeded smoothly for both of them. And just as Joohyun had predicted, Seungwan remained quiet, engrossed in her book as she ate. It’s quite amusing how consistent Seungwan is with her own habit.

Joohyun then wanders her eyes throughout the room, taking all the details of the young novelist's apartment. While Seungwan’s living space was not as spacious as Joohyun's, it was cozy and full of little trinkets here and there. There’s a collection of photographs of Seungwan and Seulgi on the fridge door.

 

Looking at how young Seulgi and Seungwan on that photo, that must’ve been taken during their university days. Joohyun silently talks to herself.

 

Moving her eyes to the grand piano, there are various music sheets scattered above the grand piano, and among that, a small framed moon photograph. On one of the corners of the framed moon photograph, there was a small piece of paper. It seemed like the paper was folded and put there by the young novelist. However, since the paper didn’t look to be significant, Joohyun didn’t pay much attention after that and decided to continue her breakfast.

 

*

 

After finishing her breakfast and washing the dishes, Joohyun decided it was time to discuss the important matter from the previous day. She approached Seungwan, who was still immersed in her book at the dining table.

 

“So, let’s talk about your decision yesterday,” Joohyun began, her tone gentle.

 

The young novelist put her book down, giving Joohyun her full attention. “About my Bone Marrow Transplant?” she asked.

 

“Yeah,” Joohyun replied, “Is it too early to talk about? Do you need more time to think about it?”

 

“No, I want to talk about it,” Seungwan said with a warm smile. “Anyway, thank you, unnie, for moving me to my bedroom yesterday. Usually, when I fell asleep in the living room, Seulgi would be the one to move me, so I didn't expect that you would do the same. Thank you.”

 

Joohyun smiled in return, “You don’t have to thank me Wan-ah. Also, I’m sorry for getting inside your bedroom without asking first”

 

Seungwan chuckled, her eyes crinkling with amusement. “Well, how would you ask for my permission if I’m asleep? It’s fine, unnie, you can enter my bedroom anytime. I've given you my permission.”

 

Joohyun nodded and then took a deep breath, her expression becoming more serious. “Now, back to our discussion about the transplant. So, you want to go through it?”

 

Seungwan nodded thoughtfully. “Yup, just like I said yesterday unnie, I want to do it.”

 

Her gaze then dropped a bit, and Joohyun can see that Seungwan is in doubt, “Well, at least I want to talk with my sister first and then see if she would like to do it”

 

“She will,” Joohyun replied without hesitation. “I'm sure she will.”

 

Joohyun paused for a second, imagining if she is in the young novelist sister's shoe and Yerim is the one that needed her help. She then continued, “Because as a sister, I would do the same, in a heartbeat without hesitation,” she said with conviction.

 

“I will call Seulgi first,” Seungwan said with a smile yet the young professor could sense that Seungwan still had her doubts.

 

The young professor sighed

 

It’s just like her, she’s still in doubt but acts like she’s fine.

 

“May I see your hand?” Joohyun asked softly.

 

The young novelist tilted her head confusedly, and yet she nodded and reached out her hand to the young professor.

 

Joohyun took Seungwan’s hand and opened it to reveal the young novelist’s palm. She observed it for a while before smiling.

 

“Wan-ah, Yerim once taught me about how to read someone's future through her palm.”

 

While still seeming confused, the young novelist just smiled and urged Joohyun to continue her explanation.

 

The young professor started to trace Seungwan’s Palm line, “You see this line? It means that you will lead a happy life” Joohyun started. She looked up at the young novelist, and yet Seungwan just looked at her with an ‘I’m a bit confused but please keep going’ kind of tender smile.

 

“This line is telling me that you will be rich… and you will get a cat or maybe a dog?” She continued.

 

Again, she tears her eyes to see the young novelist, and there she is, still with the same smile. Joohyun took a deep breath.

 

The next line that Joohyun said almost sounded like a concealed plea, “You will be blessed with a miracle”

 

And at that point, Joohyun knows that she doesn’t talk to soothe Seungwan anymore, rather, she talks to herself, to soothe herself.

 

Well, she never actually read Seungwan’s palm at all, instead, she wanted to alleviate Seungwan’s doubt. But then without her knowing, Joohyun started to show her desperation.

 

“You will be protected by the moon, and the sun” Joohyun continued softly as she traced Seungwan’s palm.

 

“In every step you take, the stars will shine upon you”

 

Finally, the young professor stopped her tracing and slowly covered the young Novelist's hand with both of her hands. She then looked into the young novelist's eyes and said with utmost conviction, “And wan-ah, above anything else, you will be fine. I promise that with all my might and abilities, I will make sure that you’re going to be fine”

 

Because I need you to be fine

 

“So please, trust me, hmm?”

 

The young novelist's gaze pierced the young professor’ and Joohyun swears she could see how Seungwan battled with herself in that split second, and after a few seconds, Seungwan nodded.

 

“Okay,” she said with a smile.

 

***

 

5 pm

 

Joohyun parked her car in Seungwan’s apartment parking lot, she just come back from delivering some food for her sister just as she promised. Well, Yerim was actually very surprised that the young professor was actually serious about sending her dear sister food every day and Joohyun quoted:

 

“Unnie! Please for the love of god! I am fine! I’m not a child and please just take care of Seungwan unnie!”

 

She chuckled fondly, realizing just how Yerim has grown to be a very independent, and capable young lady.

 

I think I need to start to trust her that she’ll be fine on her own.

 

Joohyun then stepped out of the car, after locking the car, she started to walk toward the elevator. Then, her phone suddenly rings. Joohyun picked up her phone from her purse and briefly checked the caller ID.

 

Seulgi

 

She then quickly answers the call.  “Hi, Seulgi-yah.”

 

“Hi, unnie!” Seulgi answered, and she sounded very happy.

 

“You sounded happy? What happened?”

 

Seulgi gasps, “Are you actually asking me that unnie? Of course, I am happy! How could I not be? It all thanks to you!”

 

Joohyun frowned, “Huh? What did I do?” she said. After that, she entered the elevator and pressed the button to Seungwan’s apartment floor.

 

“UNNIE! YOU MAKE SEUNGWAN WANT TO ACTUALLY DO THE PROCEDURE! HOW COULD I NOT BE HAPPY?” Seulgi almost shouted because of excitement.

 

Joohyun chuckled, “Seulgi-yah, calm down. Of course, I’ll make sure that she does the procedure. She needs to. It's not just for her sake, it's for her family, for you, and for me” Joohyun answered honestly.

 

“Do you know how glad I am to hear that unnie?” Seulgi said with a more serious yet soft tone, “I actually never imagined that she would have someone, other than me of course, that would be this attentive to her”

 

“Hell! I never even thought that she would let herself be this open and honest again to someone. Before she met you, she never wanted to do any procedure. She’d refused to do anything that I offer and she always says that she will die anyway so why bother? And that frustrates me so much” Seulgi continued.

 

“Anyway unnie, since she wanted to do the procedure. It means that it’s the time for her to come back to Canada and tell her family about her condition.”

 

“The thing is, I…” The young manager paused for a moment.

 

“I’m not really sure if I am ready to meet with her family. Well, at least not alone.” The young manager said solemnly. There was a hint of guilt in her voice and Joohyun noticed it.

 

“What happened Seulgi-yah?” She asked

 

Seulgi went silent for a moment, “It’s a long story… and, and something that Seungwan does not remember.”

 

“I’ll tell you when we meet, I promise. But right now, I want to ask you for another favor unnie.”

 

“Okay?”

 

“Can you accompany Seungwan to Toronto?” Seulgi asked.

 

“Huh?”

 

“I will be there of course. But I think it’s better if you are also there with her. You can bring little Yerim of course, and you don’t need to worry about anything since everything will be prepared.” Seulgi explained.

 

“So? Would you mind unnie?”

 

Joohyun pondered for a moment, Well, I don’t need to go to the hospital since, thanks to Seulgi of course, my only patient is Son Seungwan. And for the Squirt, well, I’ll just contact her lecturer for a couple of days off… Moreover, I can meet with Seungwan’s Family, So… Nothing to lose, right?

 

“Okay” Joohyun answered

 

“Okay?”

 

“Yeah! I’ll go with her to Canada.”

 

Seulgi let out a relieved sigh, “Thank you unnie, I know I can count on you. I’ll email you the ticket details and the accommodation. You just need to tell Seungwan that you will be coming with her too.”

 

“Wait, she doesn’t know?” Joohyun asked, puzzeled.

 

“Umm… Hehe” Again, Seulgi's signature sheepish laugh can be heard through the phone. “I don’t want to be killed by Seungwan soo, I hand it to you unnie, Bye!”

 

“Yah! Seulgi, Yah! Wait a second!” and the line is cut. Joohyun let out a sigh as she entered Seungwan's apartment.

 

*

 

“Seungwan-ah” Joohyun searched for the young novelist and yet no answer was heard from the apartment.

 

Is She asleep? Don’t say that she’s going somewhere. No, she can’t go out on her own, it’s too dangerous. Her body is especially unstable since the medication effect is starting to wear out because it's near her second cycle. Joohyun mused.

 

She knocks on the young novelist's bedroom door, “Wan-ah? Are you asleep?”

 

No answer

 

“I’ll come in okay?” She announced before opening the door.

 

Hmm, she’s not here.

 

The young professor pondered for a while, before suddenly

 

Rooftop, It's almost sunset

 

***

 

5:10 pm

 

Joohyun arrived at the rooftop and immediately spotted the young novelist, Seungwan. She was sitting there, hugging her knees, gazing at the sun slowly descending from the sky, painting it with an amber hue.

 

A particular memory surfaced in the young professor’s mind. A certain memory in the helipad of the hospital, with a cherry. Joohyun chuckled fondly at the realization.

 

She’s speaking with her dad

 

Quietly, she walked over to the young novelist. “Hello, Mr. Son” She greeted the sky, then shifted her gaze to the surprised Seungwan. “And hi to you too, Seungwan-ah,” she said as she settled down beside the young novelist.

 

“Unnie! You startled me!”

 

Joohyun playfully pinched the young novelist's shoulder, and a small yelp escaped Seungwan.

 

“You made me worried! At least message me when you’re going somewhere! What if something happened to you?” Joohyun pouted.

 

“I’m fine unnie, don’t worry too much”

 

You are not! Son Seungwan, please stop acting like you’re fine! Your body can literally give up on you any second and I might not be there for you when it happened. So please stop acting recklessly… is what Joohyun wanted to say.

 

But she decided to just stay silent and nodded. Joohyun then looked up at the sky,

 

“Hello Mr. Son, we’ve met before at the hospital but I think I haven’t introduced myself properly yet.” She spoke softly.

 

Seungwan tugged at the young professor, but Joohyun just smiled at the young novelist before redirecting her gaze to the sky.

 

“My name is Joohyun, Bae Joohyun.” She began to introduce herself.

 

“I think you should meet my father too. His name is Bae Hyun Soo. I hope that the you two can be friends up there.”

 

“Mr. Son, I want to ask your permission. I care a lot about your daughter, and I want to take care of her. I promise you that I will do my best to be with her and to help her with anything. So, would you let me take care of your daughter?” Joohyun spoke with the utmost tenderness, her voice soft and respectful.

 

It felt as though she were speaking directly to Seungwan's dad.

 

Please log in to read the full chapter