Chapter One

Citrine

“HAPPY NEW YEAR!” His family members happily shouted in unison as the clock strikes into midnight.

 

They were all cheering loudly as they clink their champagne glasses together, pretending there was actually champagne inside.

 

It wasn’t champagne.

It wasn’t even a white wine.

It was just a plain old sparkling wine.

 

“So how are you?” His younger sister asked as she sweetly wrapped her arm around his waist.

 

Kyungsoo let out a silent chuckle as he plants a soft kiss at the top of his sister’s head.

 

She knows everything.

She witnessed everything when he was on his lowest.

 

Kyungsoo relied a little bit too much on alcohol during those times.

 

At first he felt kinda fine but gradually took a toll on him. It became harder and harder.

 

Being far away from that one person he was so used to being with was not an easy task.

He only realized it when he started doing things alone. He did not realize that the attachment was going to be that strong. The idea of not being with her anymore almost immobilized him.

He knows he couldn’t just grab scissors to cut that long string called attachment.

 

He didn’t work for almost two years and he would always drink and pass out on their living room’s couch. Luckily, their parents weren’t there to witness it all because they were staying in their house in Jeju that time.

 

He twitched his nose in disgust as his mind trailed off of everything he wished for his sister should have not witnessed.

 

That’s what he did went he went off-the grid.

 

Only his little sister knew everything he’s been through.

 

“I’m better.” Kyungsoo said with a genuine smile on his lips.

 

It’s been a long time. His sister thinks to herself.

 

“I can’t believe it’s already 2022. How the time just passed by.”

 

Time didn’t just pass by in Kyungsoo’s eyes.

 

“Yeah. This should be a great year.” Kyungsoo whispered to himself with a lighter heart as his fingers played with the trace of the yellow pendant on his neck.

“Glad you like it. I know crystals has been your obsession lately.”

“That’s my early birthday present for you.” His sister continued with a soft voice.

“Thank you, Seri. You really know me well.”

“Oh you bet I do.” Seri giggled.

“Kyungsoo-ya!” Their mother chirped in.

“Yes, mom?”

“We have an early birthday present for you too.” Their mother adorably pulled her husband by the edge of his coat, signalling it’s time to tell Kyungsoo about their present.

 

With a confused smile, Kyungsoo puts down his champagne glass on the textured molten glass table.

 

“Mom, dad. You know you don’t have to anymore. I’m almost thirty.” Kyungsoo faked a funny frown that made his little dimples show.

 

Feigning over his cuteness, his mother squeezed his mochi-like cheeks almost wanting to bite it.

 

“You know you don’t look like one, son.” His silly father interjected.

 

With an exasperated sigh, Kyungsoo asked his parents what it is and Seri lightly pats his shoulder. She walks away with a laughable wink directed to her brother.

 

“Remember the land we were supposed to give you two years ago?” Kyungsoo felt like his heart stopped beating for a second as the question slightly reminded him again of a past he does not want to remember.

 

“Yeah, what about it?”

“Well, we don’t really know what to do with it. Besides it was yours to begin with.”

“Do whatever you want with it, just don’t sell it.” His father added with a soft smile and wriggled his eyebrows playfully.

“It’s in Bohol.” Both said in unison.

 

Kyungsoo’s eyes grew a few times bigger as he heard the word ‘Bohol’.

 

“It’s in Bohol?!” Kyungsoo almost screamed in excitement but he managed to awkwardly soften his loud voice.

 

Kyungsoo had always wanted to visit Bohol because it’s all his friends talked about when they were in high school. It’s all his workmates talk about when they wanted to unwind and take a trip. And it’s all his sister talks about because her favourite Kpop group went there and posted it on Instagram before.

 

“I knew you’d like it.” Both his parents laughed as his mother finally handed him the land title that was rolled up inside a small blue canister his eyes recognized.

“Oh this is mine!”

“Yeah it’s yours. I found it in one of your boxes. Maybe it’s time for you to practice designing again.”

 

Kyungsoo’s mind wandered into hopes and possibilities of starting anew.

 

Maybe he could live in Bohol.

 

Maybe he could start something there.

 

Something good for him.