Prologue

Citrine

“What happened to us?” Kyungsoo shakily lets out a sigh as he tried to reach for her hands.

“I’m really sorry, Kyungsoo.” Cries Nayeon.

“But there’s just a month left before our wedding.”

 

Nayeon loved Kyungsoo as much as she could. They were happily in love. They were each other’s fortress. They really did love each other, there’s no lie in that. Every person around them was a witness.

 

It just happened.

 

It started with small petty fights and everything escalated from there. Both were busy climbing the ladder leading to their individual career paths until they couldn’t see their reflections in each other’s eyes anymore.

 

Nayeon was more business-minded, Kyungsoo was more of a free-spirit.

She was uptight, he wasn’t.

Both didn’t stop loving, but they both stopped trying.

 

Kyungsoo’s eyes followed her fading silhouette as it gets farther and farther until he couldn’t see a trace of her anymore.

 

His eyes followed but his heart didn’t.

His heart couldn’t.

Or wouldn’t.

 

Eventually, his knees grew weak so he plops his weight on the faded greige painted wall to support his balance.

 

Letting out a quiet sob, his body slowly melts to the ground and allowed himself to let it all out.

 

It has been a week of half-hearted attempt to work properly, but who was he kidding?

 

He’s been coming to work later than usual, barely keeping up with the deadlines, ignoring phone calls from clients, and ignoring his friends’ worried messages.

 

He wanted to go off the grid.

 

He really wants to.

 

And so he did.